south african climbing forum
Lab test of carabiners used at belay stations
Over the last 14 months I’ve collected enough carabiners used as lower-offs at belays to make a sound statistical analysis with the aim of drawing some conclusions about their breaking strengths.
Space Race – a new route on Table Mountain
Guy and I had spent the afternoon on Table Mountain working on our Space Race project.
Crossing the Dragon – Grand Traverse of the Drakensberg
“A dragon without fangs is only a lizard”, I mused when Matthys and Werner raised the challenge to do the 250km Grand Traverse of the Umkhahlamba Drakensberg.
Bolt issue on Kalymnos
As we anticipated for years, they have Stress Corrosion Cracking (SCC) of their stainless steel bolts, just as Cayman Brac and Thailand used to have.
Jimbo Smith opens Last of the Mohawks on Table Mountain
I am pretty bored with the sport climbing in Cape Town so climbing on Table Mountain is new and exciting for me.
A Himalayan Adventure
An adventure film by the Mixon's - Nepal April 2013. Trekking to Annapurna Base camp.
Activity Permits for rock climbing in the the Table Mountain National Park
17 May 2013: South Africa | 1 Comment
Climbers report that rangers have recently been requiring them to produce 'My Activity Permits' for a wide range of climbing activities in the Park.
Montagu locals watching over nature reserves
A new body has been elected which will advise the Langeberg Municipality on matters regarding nature reserves within the Langeberg, including the Montagu Mountain Reserve and Dassieshoek.
Los Muizenbergos at Topside
Marijus Šmigelskis on the first ascent of "Los Muizenbergos" 8A in Topside.
2013 Black Diamond Tradathon
Number limits for entry to the Magaliesberg Tradathon.
Cameras for Table Mountain
9 May 2013: South Africa | 4 Comments
Cyclists are getting proactive against thieves and robbers in the Table Mountain National Park, raising funds independently for surveillance cameras and new crime patrols at hot spots on the mountain.
City may light up Signal Hill
The City of Cape Town is exploring ways of lighting up Signal Hill without affecting ships at sea.
Arrow Final video
6 May 2013: South Africa | 4 Comments
Fun video of guys climbing Arrow Final on Table Mountain.
Find us on Facebook
- Bolt issue on Kalymnos May 2, 2013
- Space Race – a new route on Table Mountain May 6, 2013
- New Cederberg Hiking map – Names update May 3, 2013
- Brian sending ‘Just Behrly’ May 6, 2013
- Jimbo Smith opens Last of the Mohawks on Table Mountain April 30, 2013
- A Himalayan Adventure May 17, 2013
- Activity Permits for rock climbing in the the Table Mountain National Park May 17, 2013
- Montagu locals watching over nature reserves May 17, 2013
- Los Muizenbergos at Topside May 17, 2013
- 2013 Black Diamond Tradathon May 15, 2013
- Hilton: Thanks Ebert and Nic!...
- those search engines: Hello there, I believe your website might be havin...
- Bruno FARA: @BAbycoat This year I have rebolted three old r...
- Emanuele Pellizzari: @BAbycoat At the moment in Kaly they use 304 or 3...
- Nic Le Maitre: Awesome Hilton, glad to hear that you are back cli...
Adam Ondra Alex Honnold Anchor Replacement Fund Andrew Pedley Andrew Porter Arctic Expedition Arjan de Kock Bolting Boven Roc Rally Brian Weaver Chris Sharma CityROCK Clinton Martinengo Daniel Woods Dave Graham Dean Potter Drakensberg Everest FEAT Featured Ice Climbing Joe Mohle K2 Kilimanjaro Marijus Šmigelskis Matt Bush Micky Wiswedel Montagu mugging Nalle Hukkataival National Bouldering League Paul Robinson Rock & Road Rocklands Sasha Digiulian Slackline Steve Bradshaw jnr Supertramp Table Mountain Tommy Caldwell Ueli Steck Umgeni Waterval Boven Yellowwood Amphitheatre Yosemite