Bungee pioneer killed on Table Mountain

There is a Wake for Bob on the 22nd of AprilClick here for details

Originally published on the 9th of April.

An expert climber and creator of the world’s first bungee jump between cooling towers, at Orlando, Soweto, has been killed in a fall on Table Mountain and his hiking partner injured.

Bob Woods was managing director since 1999 of Sky Riders, a pioneering South African rope-access company gaining entry to hard-to-reach areas, based in Irene, near Pretoria.

The identity of the injured man was not disclosed last night.

Woods’s friend and business partner, Brownlee Barry, said: “If there was something that needed to be done he could do it. No matter what it was, Bob would put his mind to it and be successful. He was just one of those people who thought big.”

An expert climber, he had many contacts locally and internationally.

“He was the figurehead of the SA climbing community, everybody knew him and he knew everybody.

“He was one of the most amazing people I’ve met. This is one of the most tragic things I’ve experienced.”

Metro EMS received a call yesterday reporting that two hikers had fallen off Platteklip Gorge.

“Unfortunately when we got there we had to declare one of them dead at the scene,” said Roy White, Wilderness Search and Rescue manager.

The conscious survivor was treated for minor injuries, stabilised and taken by rescue helicopter to hospital.

Woods was born in Cape Town and travelled extensively, finally settling in Rosetta near Mooi River in KwaZulu-Natal. He was on holiday for a family reunion in Cape Town, his sister recently having flown in from Canada. Woods is survived by his wife Kaolin, a daughter and son.

Police spokesperson Ezra October later said the survivor had been taken to Christiaan Barnard Memorial Hospital for treatment.

He said the two hikers had been walking a short trail when one apparently pulled a rock loose. It is believed part of the ground gave way and both hikers fell several metres. October said police were at the scene, and an inquest docket had been opened.

“From the information we have received we believe one of them had been moving rocks when they both slipped and fell. The survivor received trauma counselling soon after.”

70 Responses to Bungee pioneer killed on Table Mountain

1. MarkM Apr 9, 2010 at 8:24 am #

WOW, this is terrible news.

Condolences to the family.
    RIP

2. Mike Rasmussen Apr 9, 2010 at 2:32 pm #

This is terrible news, Bob was a great person to work with and an inspiration in the climbing community!! Very sad and condolances to his Family at this time!

3. Melanie Walker Apr 9, 2010 at 2:42 pm #

To anybody who is in contact with Kaolin or her family, please pass on my most sincere condolences…..

4. David Davies Apr 9, 2010 at 3:59 pm #

Bobby, my hero. I thought I was going to beat you to it. The greatest unsung climber. Riding his bicycle to climb Mt. Kenya and summiting 8 times. Climbed Aconcagua 4 times including the notorious South Face of Reinhold Messner. Also climbing the 3 peaks (Exposure in F Major, North West Frontal and Klein Winterhoek Frontal) in 24 hours. There is a wonderful movie on Bobby climbing this all solo.
    You were a real climber!

5. Hilton Davies Apr 9, 2010 at 5:47 pm #

Last night Bruce Daniel and I were walking down from Yellowwood after another big, hard day. Bruce told me that one of our recent big-day’s at Yellowwood was the hardest day of his life. Then he corrected himself to say it had been his second hardest day. The hardest was a Yellowwood day with Bobby Woods about 20 years ago. That one must have been a doozie. The two did many good outings over the years – Oceans of Fear, Renaissance, Baffin Island etc. (Then the call came…)

Bobby was very helpful for the trip Dave and I did to Mt Kenya and put us on to his friend Bongo Woodley who ran the national park.

Bob sure was tough. And motivated. And super nice. I sure envy the guys who got to share a rope with him.

6. kaolin woods Apr 9, 2010 at 9:14 pm #

Thank you so much everyone for the huge outpouring of sympathy and well wishes. It was a privilidge to be married to such a crazy mother fucker. I miss him so much and don’t know how I will get through life without him. RIP love of my life. xx

7. Chris Jackson Apr 9, 2010 at 10:17 pm #

I never had the privilege of getting to know Bobby, but the shadow he cast was big enough to know he was a great spirit who burned the candle at both ends…

“All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible”. — T.E. Lawrence

8. Micky Williams Apr 9, 2010 at 11:12 pm #

My condolences to Kaolin and the children. RIP Bobby, we went through some interesting times together.

9. Lynelda Apr 10, 2010 at 12:13 pm #

RIP Bobby! Heartfelt condolences to Kaolin and family, our thoughts are with you at this time! X

10. Jeremy Samson Apr 10, 2010 at 3:12 pm #

Gutted to hear that one of the brightest shining lights of SA climbing has gone. Bobby was a legend, an incredible person, a reckless dreamer and a pure inspiration. I could never keep up.

RIP you brilliant talent.

11. Moose Apr 11, 2010 at 1:35 am #

Bobby, when ever I bumped into you…. didn’t matter if it was on the hill, in the water or in the street, I was always blown away with your crazy wild positive energy …… and every time, as soon as we had gone our separate ways, i had the strong urge to go and attempt something unthinkable in my own mind.

We will miss you dude. Kaolin, we are here for you.

12. Paul Setterfield Apr 11, 2010 at 7:33 pm #

Terrible news. I remember climbing with this bright eyed young boy in the 1980′s, who had unshakable enthusiasm and optimism in the mountains no matter what the conditions. Like leaving Cape Town to climb Klein Winterhoek late in the season, with all the signs of a massive cold front on its way, with Bobby remarking that it would miss that area and that we would only get a shower to two at worst. The second pitch, aptly named the water shoot pitch, saw four people in a massive retreat with howling and soaking conditions.

Bob I will always remember all these little epics and fun days. Rest In Peace my Friend.

13. Richard Behne Apr 11, 2010 at 8:00 pm #

Absolutely awful news! Bobby’s enthusiam and keenness for anything outrageous are legend. Over the years the all too infrequent encounters were always inspirational. Ironically he was a topic of conversation around a campfire at Wilgepoort just three weeks ago. Kaolin, we only met once some years ago, but our thoughts are with you and the family at this time.

14. Gerjan ( patty ) Hagg Apr 11, 2010 at 8:57 pm #

R I P Bob. Thanks for the friendship and influence in my live. I’ve learned a lot about respect and human relations from you. Condolences to Kaolin, put your grief before the Cross, He will take care of it.

15. Robin Thomson Apr 12, 2010 at 6:55 am #

Bobby you were an inspiring wild friend from the earliest times, a ready smile, a laugh and a mind spinning on the next adventure to tackle. Nothing was too much. I am sure you will shake them up where you are now. Hamba Kahle.

16. guy hubbard Apr 12, 2010 at 9:31 am #

tragic, tragic news. i used to bump into bobby and kaolin at the wilds in joburg. he was always planning and training for his next big adventure. he was always inspiring. rest in peace bobby.

17. Justin Apr 12, 2010 at 12:05 pm #

There is going to be a celebration of the life of Bob Woods this Thursday 15 April. We are asking anyone who has been touched by Bob to join us to share memories ,have a braai and send him off with a skop in the Du Toits kloof mountains that he loved.

Venue : Du Toits Kloof Hotel
    Time: 3pm till late
    Catering : Bring and braai – fires will be provided. There will be a cash bar and food will be available from
    the hotel.

Accomodation if you would like to stay over:
    At the hotel – phone 023 349 1151 to book a room
    Waaboomsrust (1km away) – phone 082 940 9173 to book
    MCSA Hut – for bunk beds and camping

We are collecting photographs for a slideshow. So not only climbing pics but family ,friends and all the crazy stuff he got up to. If you have any, please send them to brcdaniel@gmail.com

Bob’s life touched many people and if anyone would like to contribute by saying something at this celebration ,it would be welcome. Maybe think about something over the next few days.

Given the short time before thursday ,please send this message to anyone who knew Bob.

18. John and Margaret Nutt. Sea Point. Capetown. Apr 12, 2010 at 12:29 pm #

Well Bob; Kaolin is correct. Anyone going out on the Vaal Dam like you did in mid High Veld winter must be crazy. To your family our most sincere condolance, and to you Bob just go well.

19. Neil Collett Apr 12, 2010 at 2:44 pm #

I was priveledged to know Bob and spend time surfing with him a few years back. Although he told me he was a novice surfer, he had balls of steeland and I can still he him paddling into perfect 6ft waves in the Reserve, taking the drop, his arms spread wide, riding like an old surfer dude – he had the most amazing balance.

A magic family man too…..

Kaolin, my thoughts are with you and the kiddies

20. kaolin woods Apr 12, 2010 at 3:20 pm #

Keep it flowing guys…don’t let the memories go away. It means so much to us

21. pierre carter Apr 12, 2010 at 4:27 pm #

Bob you inspirational ……….., you’re memories will keep us all fired up, thanks for the inspiration and re igniting that live wire in me every time we bumped into each other, our thoughts go out to you family!

22. Paolo Apr 12, 2010 at 5:47 pm #

Farewell free spirit !!

23. Jurgen Richter Apr 12, 2010 at 6:17 pm #

Goodbye old friend; it’s been 20+ years since we last saw each other but the memories are as real as yesterday. I still remember the first time we went climbing and swearing that we would never do this again only to be on the mountain the very next weekend. Those first three years of climbing with will always be with me; we lived and breathed the rock! Thank you for a great friendship and some awesome crazy memories. You will always be with me. Cheers Bob!

24. Greg Thurston Apr 12, 2010 at 8:34 pm #

Blue Skies old climbing friend. My thoughts are with your family..

25. Adam Roff Apr 12, 2010 at 10:50 pm #

How do you compress 20 years of raging into a few short paragraphs, seems wrong to even try. But the world seems wrong without bob in it. One of the finest alpine climbers of his generation bob took wild swipes at life with the irrational belief that he’d be able to pull it off. He usually did. Actually, the possible consequences of failure didn’t really come into it he’d just have a go anyway. But his ability was not what kept me seizing every opportunity to climb together. Bob brought a particular joy to my life that involved completely incapacitating bouts of laughter. His frothing spirit could turn a trip to the shops into an occasion. From our first ever outing on Ben Heatlie in 1990 to our last on Thursday, it was simply just fantastic to be with him.

He was always fitter than us and always willing to push it further. He also threw spectacular tantrums at inopportune times. Pitch 25 or so on el cap, sun sinking, bob screaming. Shouting kicking the rock. Pleading. Hating it. From the belay I could just see his left hand as he tried to slap it up the arête to camp six, slap slap up. Then it would slide slowly down and an explosion of rage and tears would echo across the captain, then slap slap slap slap, up again…

He loved the mountains, he loved his friends and he absolutely loved his family.

It’s hard to reconcile the joy of years of crazy missions in the hills with the tears rolling down my cheeks as I write this. Bob’s spirit had a massive impact on my life and I like to think that some of it rubbed off on me.

What a joll.

26. Johno Gordon Apr 13, 2010 at 6:13 am #

What tragic news! I remember first meeting Booby when he was still a school kid at Bishops and Bruce would take us round to visit him & his folks. From our first meeting it was apparent that Bobby was out there & even made our own crazy antics seem mundane and almost pedestrian.

I also remember his father describing another kids report card as abominable and I still chuckle to myself whenever I use this word to slag somebody off in the construction industry.

Go well Bobby, we’ll miss the laughter you inevitably brought to our lives.

Johno

27. Stuart Evans Apr 13, 2010 at 8:58 am #

I’m shattered to hear this news. The spirit of adventure and positivity was so strong in Bob. He loved the outdoor life and truly had the balance between life in Rosetta with paddling on the Mooi and running often through the grounds of Treverton… Then his awesome venture at Orlando in Jozi.

Respect mate, my thoughts are with your family.

28. Gustav Janse van Rensburg Apr 13, 2010 at 11:43 am #

Bob always had a wicked plan, in the little time that I had the pleasure to cross paths with him. He failed me on my first rope access assessment somewhere back in 1994 in Cape Town for not making a proper fishermans knot (the bugger!). It was the last time I made any knot wrong (I think)!

His big fat friendly smile will be remembered for a long time still…

29. Douglas Ward Apr 13, 2010 at 1:06 pm #

I first met Bob more than 20 years ago on TM. This woolly head appeared from around an arete and asked for directions to the top of the mountain. Since we were already halfway up Jacobs Ladder (or something like that), and Bob was on his own, this was a little unnerving, and it was only some time later when I learned from Bruce that he had clearly been taking the piss.

Bob is the first person I have shared a rope with who has gone. I wish everybody who was close to him the strength to deal with this and particularly Kaolin and the children.

30. Spook Apr 13, 2010 at 1:33 pm #

Bob,

you were a machine, you were a force, you were always a gas, sometimes a raging bull, and still a lasting inspiration for none of us to ever grow old.

I enjoyed our times together. will not forget you.

Spook

31. Snowman Apr 13, 2010 at 3:20 pm #

Wow! What a lot of great mates Bobby had. No wonder, he lived in the fast lane. I am the neighbour who drank wine and beer with Bob & Kaolin. Bob did that well too. Never mind all the mountains – Heck I am still gob-smacked by the balancing line from tree to tree in the garden, 1 1/2 metres up. Encouragement for the kids to lose their fear and sieze the day. Go well Bob. We will remember you as the sun sets and during quiet times in the Berg. Kaolin, you know where we are.

32. Neil Scheibe Apr 13, 2010 at 4:04 pm #

There are few people that are born that have had an impact on such a range of peoples lives, I have known Bob since the incerpion of Rope Access in South Africa and there is no one that has had a greater effect than him in the industry! There are hunderds of families that are being fed by his relentless efforts to create an industry that is now florishing and creating employement through out South Aftrica and South Africans in the world. Reading the tributes to his climbing expereinces are similar to what I have experienced in business with him, the enthusiasm and dedication to what he sets out to do is a trait I have never seen before.

Bob, will be missed by all and he leaves a huge gap in all our lives, my sincere condolances to Kaolin and family, as this is a guy who made a significat impact on all our lives, and will do for many year to come, Bob may be gone but never forgotten!

33. katharina wagner Apr 13, 2010 at 5:43 pm #

dear kaolin many years ago i saw bob dancing up a wild storm as you performed your music
    i was touched by the honesty and boldness of this huge expression of support and approval
    i am so sad to hear your loss please continue in courage and in art with love katharina

34. Nicola Taal (Kilroe) Apr 13, 2010 at 9:21 pm #

I was not privileged to know Bob but I knew his parents Charlotte and Dave. Charlotte was the most inspiring teacher I ever had and it sounds like her energy and zest for life was in Bob too. The Woods were a wonderful, warm family so in touch with the environment around them who gave so much to all who met them – very special people. So I send love to them, and also to Bob’s own family .

35. Peter Ribton Apr 13, 2010 at 9:28 pm #

It is an absolute privilege to have known such an incredible character like you Bob, your generosity, constant humor and zest for life will always be remembered.

36. Tim Bremner Apr 13, 2010 at 10:39 pm #

Bobby, where-ever you are, keep blazing the trail. All the best. Really sad.

37. Bron Jones (McKenzie) Apr 14, 2010 at 12:45 am #

Bob, I can’t be at your wake my friend. Cam and I will be having a drink for you in NZ.
    I‘ve known you 30 years and sure count myself lucky to have had your friendship in my life. I’m struggling to imagine a world without a character like you out there to brighten it. When we were kids you always had a mad plan or prank to entertain, sometimes horrify but always 100% impress us. By high school your taste for extreme outdoor adventuring was well apparent. Some of us got our adrenalin fix just cheering you on from the sideline. You have left such a big hole and so many memories (a whole lot of crazy, a huge lot of fun). I am very thankful that I was able to see you those last 2 times at your happy home in Rosetta. Your loving family was around you, horses galloping, a swim in the Mooi river, slack line across the garden, Bob at the braai, beer in hand, a truly contented family man and a bloody legend.

38. Francie Buhrmann Apr 14, 2010 at 12:58 am #

My last sight of Bobby was on Wednesday night – with a squirming little Mojo in his arms, and his usual widest of wide smiles on his face, wild hair and excitedly talking about going up the hill with the boys the next day as we said goodbye.

My previous clear memory of Bobby is of him in their garage at Mooirivier – with little Lilu helping him enthusiastically with some carpentry. Both of them looked like they were having such a jol.

I think Bob was a great, passionate, fun father for his kids and I am so sad that his time with them and with Kaolin was stopped so abruptly. I hope all their memories will help them.

I am also intensely feeling the pain of all his close friends, but it is also awesome to know that they all have so many good crazy memories of Bobby

39. Andrew Cox New Mexico Apr 14, 2010 at 5:04 am #

Bob my dear friend. All I can say is that you made such an impression on me 20+ years ago. Remeber the days climbing around Stellenbosch, jumping of some crazy bridge with our freighed climbing ropes, partying with Bruce, David and the boys and girls in Elandsbaai. I miss those days but you made your mark, lived a fullfilled life and made us all proud – wish i had more of your time – another lesson- off to the grand canyon and im taking your spirit with me! Andrew

40. Luckmore Salimo Apr 14, 2010 at 10:21 am #

It came as a shock when I heard that Bob, whom I had known since 2002, had passed away. He was a visionary second to none. I was privileged to have worked briefly with him on his dream project – The Orlando Towers.

To me, Bob was a friend and figurehead of the rope access industry and will always cherish the contributions he personally made to my rope access concern in Zimbabwe. My sincere condolences go to Kaolin, Lilu, Mojo and Sky Riders. May his soul rest in eternal peace.

41. Louise Dommisse Apr 14, 2010 at 3:20 pm #

Huge condolences to the Woods family.
    Lx

42. David Newton Apr 14, 2010 at 4:25 pm #

Lyn and I are extremely saddened by this awful loss for Kaolin, Lilu and Mojo. It is just not the sort of thing that should ever have happened to Bob or to his family. Our one more recent memory of Bob and Lilu occurred not so long ago in the Magaliesberg. Lilu had just climbed out of Upper Tonquani kloof with us, and we were all standing on the edge looking across to the cliffs where Bob in the late afternoon light was soloing up some hair raisingly difficult route. There was silence as we watched this amazing exhibition of vertical ballet, broken by Lilu who said with great admiration “my Dad is a very good climber”.
    Lots of love to you from Lyn, David, Benjamin and Emily.

43. The Woods Family Apr 14, 2010 at 7:00 pm #

Bobby we will miss you as only your family can. Thankyou for being what you have been to us which only we can appreciate.It has been our greatest privilege to be your parents and sister for 41 years. Thankyou for giving us Kaolin, Lilu, and Mo through whom you will never leave us. Dad, Mom, and Kath

44. Stuart Ribton Apr 14, 2010 at 7:38 pm #

I was privileged to have met Bobby through Bruce Daniel and my brother Peter. Many years ago, We were at a farm in the Cederberg Mountains and walked a trail that Bob had built. I remember the farmer fondly recollecting stories about “Daai Bobbie”. One of my best memories of Bob was when we took our surf ski’s out of Hout Bay and around Vulkan Rock. The sea’s were huge and we should not have been out there, but hey, that’s just how Bob did it!
    Awesome to have known you Bob.
    My condolences to your family.

45. Barbara Bull Apr 14, 2010 at 9:10 pm #

Although I only met Bob a few times I have heard many stories about his life and family via my dear friend Kath and his mother Charlotte. What a huge tragedy. Nothing and no one can replace a brother, son or husband, esp one like Bob who seems to have been larger then life. May the many wonderful memories fill up the empty spaces as time passes. “Courage is not the absence of fear or despair but the ability to move on despite them”.
    Heartfelt condolences to Kaolin, Lilu, Mojo and the Woods family, esp Kath, my friend- a big hug from Grahamstown
    Love Barbara BUll

46. Bruce Daniel Apr 14, 2010 at 11:13 pm #

Looks like the weather is going to be OK on thursday and hopefully we’ll give give him a send off outdoors. (There is an alternative indoor venue onsite if it rains). For those of you who can ,please bring camping chairs and blankets.

Thank you to all of you who have posted messages. It means a huge amount to his family and friends.

47. Andy de klerk Apr 14, 2010 at 11:31 pm #

Bobby: thanks for the routes we did while we were still at school. You were such a hard man, even then and you never stopped going for it right until the end.
    Kaolin: I’m so sorry for this huge loss. I only met you once at an exhibition you held in Jhb and your art was beautiful. Please can you paint Bobby on a huge canvass for all of us and show the kids how much their dad really loved them.
    AdK

48. Stephen Clarke Tasmania Apr 15, 2010 at 3:39 am #

Bobby left an indelible impression on me in Stellenbosch, his most endearing qualities being his sense of humour, the common touch and total lack of conceit in spite of his huge talent.

Remembering Bob makes me grateful for the days of my life and inspires me to be a better and braver man.

RIP and comfort to your loved ones.

49. Karl Hayden Apr 15, 2010 at 7:20 am #

It’s been 20 years now since I last saw Bobby. Back then we worked together, long before I started climbing. I’ll never forget his infectious enthusiasm for the mountains & you always knew that’s where he wanted to be!
    RIP Bobby. Condolences to the family.

50. Dion Tromp Apr 15, 2010 at 8:55 am #

Bob, what a tragic loss. You didn’t just do things, you DID THINGS! Your vision, enthusiasm and commitment to everything that you were involved in will always be an inspiration to me.

Always happiest with a few hundred meters of air below your feet, I can’t even imagine what hooligan stunts you are up to right now that you are finally freed of the constraints of gravity!

To Kaolin and Bob’s family, my deepest condolences and heartfelt sympathy. Thank you for giving Bob the space fly!

51. Shelagh Apr 15, 2010 at 10:03 am #

My thought and prayers are with Kaolin and the family. Such a tragic loss – so very, very sad.

52. Danny Pinkas Apr 15, 2010 at 2:14 pm #

I only knew Bob from occasional sessions at the Wilds to which he would jog from some distant parking lot. During our last session together he spoke enthusiastically about the Orlando Bungee project and about becoming a father for the second time – he quipped that he had to take full advantage of Kaolin’s running injury… There certainly was a lot positive energy when Bob was around – I wish I had known him better. Heartfelt condolences to Bob’s family and friends.

53. Stewart Middlemiss Apr 16, 2010 at 6:23 am #

The last time I saw & climbed with Bobby was in 2007 in Mhlabatini Kloof in the Magaliesberg,
    together with Steve Boccardo & Ian Schwartz. The 4 of us had the kloof to ourselves that day & we
    spent a lot of time brewing tea & chatting. Bobby was as as carefree, enthusiastic and irreverent
    then as he was when I first met him. I will always remember him that way, a free spirit who loved the
    mountains and and to whom being in the outdoors with his pals was more important than actually
    climbing something hard (which he usually did anyway). Go in peace Bobby.

My condolences to Kaolin & his family.
    Stewart

54. MOANSIE AND FAMILY Apr 16, 2010 at 9:51 am #

TO THE WOODSES AND BOBS FAMILY WE HAD THE PLEASURE TO SEE YOUR SON GROW UP. YOU HAVE DONE A GREAT JOB HE TOUCHED MANY A LIVES BECAUSE OF WHAT YOU HAVE TAUGHT HIM REMEMBER HIS MEMORY WILL LIVE ON BECAUSE OF YOU ALL…… LOVE MONICA AND FAMILY. YOU GO BOB!!

55. Andrea Matthewson Apr 16, 2010 at 10:48 am #

Kaolin, I met you once at your home in Gauteng. My sister knew Bob & the climbing crowd at UCT, and she attended your wedding. My condolences to you, Lilu & Mojo. Although I never knew Bob personally, his expeditions were legendary to us all. I’ll never look at the Soweto cooling towers in the quite the same way again – now a memorial to Bobby. Love and light to you.

56. Donovan Jones Apr 17, 2010 at 9:07 am #

Bobby was a huge influence on me as a kid. He was always doing something cool like making stink bombs, I used to love going over to the Woods’es after school to swim and see what Bobby was up to.

Bob gave me my first skate board, Bob went caving with me in the caves above Hout Bay when I couldn’t get anyone else to go with me. Bob introduced me to so many bands which shaped my musical tastes, Kim Wild, Men At Work, Flock Of Seaguls, Adam Ant.

I always thought his climbing and surfing were so cool, he had surf board wax called “Mr Zogs Sex Wax”, that was so cool for a 10 year old. He has a rope ladder attached to the tree in the garden that he would climb with only has arms, that was so cool.

When cricket and rugby were what was expected Bobby chose climbing and surfing, his independence and unconformity inspired me to be myself, he was a huge influence on me and one that I cherish.

The last time I saw Bob was when I bumped into him in a shop in Stellenbosch in 1991, I wish I had gotten to spend some time with him as an adult.

My heartfelt condolences go out to everyone who is feeling his loss and especially to his family.

57. Kathryn Milne Apr 18, 2010 at 10:54 am #

Kaolin, we chatted last year at Con’s house whilst we helped her unpack. I am so sorry for your loss.

Regards
    Kathryn

58. Tami James Apr 18, 2010 at 9:51 pm #

Bob hired me in Dubai to work for Skyriders Middle East. His enthusiasm was contagous and he was one of the most possitive people I’ve met. It’s hard to believe that he’s not out there any more…..Kaolin, my heart goes out to you and your children. He will be missed by a LOT of people.
    Regards,
    Tami

59. Richard Gordon-Brown Apr 19, 2010 at 4:22 pm #

Bob, you came from the work at height industry and I came from skills development .

Our mutual interest in getting the skills of people working at height recognised with qualifications brought us together. We shared good thoughts and laughs during our trip to Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg for the industry ‘breakfast briefings’ last year.

Funny that our mutual friend Dion remembers you as being happiest with a few hundred meters of air below your feet ~ I remember you as having your feet firmly on the ground!

60. The Woods Family Apr 20, 2010 at 11:47 am #

Our sincere and appreciative thanks to all who organized, contributed to and were involved in the awesome wake held for Bob on Thursday 15 and also to the many who were with us in their absence. A fitting send off indeed!!
    Our love to you all,
    Dave, Charlotte, Kath and Family

61. Matthew Munting Apr 21, 2010 at 12:51 pm #

Didn’t know Bob that well but we worked together and he could do anything on ropes – the mark of a real rope technician. We shared an appreciation for a steaming brown one glistening in the sun on a ledge somewhere high up… Good laughs we had! Bob, next one’s for you.

Cheers mate and thanks for the inspiration and competition over the years ;-)

62. Justin Apr 21, 2010 at 4:39 pm #

The details of the function at Orlando in memory of Bob are below.

Dear friend of Bob Woods,

Bob Woods Memorial Gathering – Thurs 22 April

As many of you may already know, Bob Woods, our founder and director and much loved friend and inspiration, was killed in a tragic climbing accident on Table Mountain on Thursday 8 April 2010.

We ask you to join Orlando Towers/Skyriders staff, associates and fellow friends of Bob for a Memorial Gathering at Orlando Towers on Thusday 22 April at 3pm.

Please write a few lines on the memories you have of Bob…. as a business associate, colleague, employer, friend, fellow adventurer….. and sign your name at the bottom.
    We’d like to bind them all together to make a book for his wife Kaolin and his children Mojo and Leilu.
    Please hand your A4 sheet to Sue on your arrival, or if you are not able to attend, please email to sue@orlandotowers.co.za.

We will have an informal braai after the proceedings. Food and drinks will be provided so please RSVP for catering purposes.

RSVP: sue@orlandotowers.co.za
    Tel: 083 299-9209

63. Hansie Mybrugh Apr 23, 2010 at 2:11 pm #

This is so sad, I only heard about this today. My condolences to the Woods family. I met Bob in this year at the Orlando towers, I took some photos of the Orlando towers for their site. I was at the towers on the 3rd April to take some more photos, we had a long chat and he told me all about base jumpers and crazy people. It was always nice to listen to all his stories. Damn he was such a pleasant guy to chat with. I am sure that his wife and children will miss him and the staff at Orlando Towers.

Rest in peace Bob, I believe that your up their in the clouds watching over us. The blue sky is where you always wanted to be. We will meet one day again.

R.I.P.

Cheers.

64. Beth Apr 23, 2010 at 4:20 pm #

Cousin you’ll be missed! We didn’t see enough of each other but there are such special memories of times we did. Keep smiling wherever you are.

Love Beth

65. Gordon Bisset May 12, 2010 at 4:31 pm #

Bob came to Scotland in 1996 – sold me a lime green van which was almost completely but not quite – - illegal and resulted in a certain abseiler chap losing his driving licence – nice one Bob! . He dangled on some ropes with us in Edinburgh and we threw a big toy rubber snake at him – he has an issue with snakes? Gotcha! He pissed off Her Majesty’s government so they wouldn’t let him in again heheh. But the bugger sandbagged me on Table Mountain with a fabulous route or two in return.

My heartfelt sympathies to his wife and kids and family – he is as we say in Trainspotting Leith – likesay a total radge!

66. Danni Irvine Sep 1, 2010 at 2:11 am #

I just heard the news in Canada today!
    Bob, it was so many years ago that I met you and I’ve never forgotten your incredible energy, big smile, silly giggle, fuzzy hair and crazy plans. I always loved being around you, basking in your energy and zest for life. You lived a thousand lifetimes in one life and I am so grateful our paths crossed and your life brushed mine.
    Kaolin, I didn’t get to meet you (only to hear wonderful things about you from Bob) my deepest sympathy to you and the children.
    Sterkte!

67. Hennie Niemand Oct 19, 2010 at 2:51 pm #

Bob, 6 months have passed since I got the call from Neil to tell me the news. It took time for me to come to terms with this tragedy, to try and understand it. Although we haven’t seen each other for a while, we shared the most insane 3 days of our lives together. We almost died then, but we made it and life took on a new meaning. I will carry that memory with me for the rest of my life and remember you for the crazy person you were.
    R.I.P.

68. gerhard friedrich rudolf kohl Mar 2, 2012 at 9:42 pm #

BOB was living – in & out – with me in DUBAI from JAN – SEP 2008 .
    had the chance to do some runs together . wanted to spent more time with him
    - – - but he was much too fast …

69. hendri Jul 7, 2013 at 11:37 am #

Still remember about you until today,when you teach me about everything.You may calm beings there, ……

70. Robin Oct 25, 2013 at 3:46 pm #

RIP Bob, to know you and work with you was indeed one of the pleasures I will keep with me for the rest of my life. Coming to terms with you not being here any longer îs very difficult the world has lost a good soul. Happy trails pal