WJ Wybergh and Lt NM McLeod first climbed the Sentinel via the standard route on 29 September 1910.
The KZN section of the mountain club of SA plans to celebrate this ascent on the weekend of the 4-5th September 2010. The idea is for as many people as possible to ascend the Sentinel via any route they wish on the morning of the 4th and then have a celebratory jol at the Witsieshoek Mountain Lodge that evening. (We are happy to provide top-ropes on the two pitches on the Standard route so you won’t need a climbing partner for standard route.)
Entertainment at the dinner will be provide by Anthony van Tonder (slides/video on modern day climbing in the Drakensberg), Gavin Raubenheimer (50th anniversary of first ascent of Angus Leppan route on the Sentinel –
pictures by Cesar de Carvalho) and hopefully someone to tell us about the golden era…
Accommodation options at Witsieshoek lodge (special rates for this event):
1. Double Sentinel rooms: R310 pp sharing (includes breakfast).
2. Bungalow rooms: R280 pp sharing (includes breakfast).
3. Camping with ablutions in adjacent bungalows: R90 pp.
1. Witsieshoek have offered us a fixed evening meal for the Saturday at R75 (including desert), but there is also an a la carte menu in the main dining area (we will hopefully be in a separate area for the presentations and possibly dinner, at this stage not sure if the a la carte option will be available there).
2. The cash bar will be stocked.
Entry fee at the gate on the road: R10 pp.
The permit to hike is R25 pp.
So, if you are keen:
1. Let Hannelie or myself know via our e-mails (I am away for next two weeks so don’t expect an immediate
response from Bruce). We will start a mail list so you can exchange info, look for climbing partners, lifts,
etc. email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Contact the Witsieshoek lodge as above to book accommodation. Mention you are on the MCSA Sentinel
centenary weekend (to get the prices above!). All payments to them please.
YOU WILL HAVE TO MAKE THIS BOOKING WELL IN ADVANCE, AS WE WILL NOT BE EXCLUSIVE GUESTS.