The Petzl CORE has been out for a few months now and it’s a great addition to Petzl’s headlamp accessories.
The CORE is a rechargeable battery that fits TIKKA2 & ZIPKA2 headlamps.
It offers an advantage over standard batteries for frequent or intensive headlamp use. It is more economical to use and it pays for itself after four sets of alkaline batteries.
Petzl say that their Lithium Ion Polymer rechargeable battery is equivalent to 900 batteries with less weight and better performance. Lithium Ion batteries also provide better performance at low temperatures (over standard batteries).
You can revert back to normal batteries at any time you want by removing the CORE. The CORE does make the headlamp slightly thicker, but this is hardly noticeable.
The CORE comes with software (OS) which is easy to install and use (and has not crashed my computer). Using the software allows you to set your battery charge by lowering or increasing the amount of battery expenditure / light output. This is particularly useful if you are operating for long periods in the darkness and do not want to run out of light.
* Note that the power settings only apply to the white LED on your headlamp and that the red LED is set to a fixed brightness.
The “Regulated” setting gives you the following extremes of brightness / battery life (for the Tikka2):
- 5 hours at 100% intensity (27m visibility)
- 110 hours at 4% intensity (5m visibility)
While the Non-Regulated option gives:
- 12 hours burn time for maximum brightness
- 65 hours burn time for the “Economic” setting
Here are a few reasons why you should buy a CORE:
- Save money on batteries
- Environmentally friendly
- Universal charging (via USB)
- More power
- Less Weight
- Customized performance with software
- Set burn times for longer periods of light
- Not having to fiddle around with loose batteries
Installation of the CORE is easy, simply dissemble your headlamp and click the rechargeable battery into place (see the video below for instructions on how to insert the battery).
*Note: There is a correct and incorrect way to dissemble/assemble your headlamp, if you’re forcing it, STOP… work on your technique otherwise you will probably break something (or just pass it over to your girlfriend and have her show you how it’s done).
Lithium Ion Polymer 900 mAh rechargeable battery
Sold with 30 cm USB «micro B» type cable
Recharge time: 3 hours
Number of charging cycles: approximately 300
Weight: 30 g
Guarantee: 3 years or 300 charging cycles
The CORE battery is available (in SA) as:
- A single battery – R340.00 – (Includes with USB cable)
- Whole kit – R999.00 (The ‘Whole Kit’ contains: Tikka XP 2 Headlamp, CORE Battery, USB Cable & USB wall charger (similar to an iPhone charger) – See image above.
The Tikka XP2 headlamp retails for – R545.00
The Petzl CORE is currently available from the following stores: