Faye Brouard and Paul Brouard took the title of Rock Masters 2011.
Saturday (10/12/2011) Cape Town’s City Rock, held the Rock Master Cape Town Competition of 2011. Mountain Extreme Events brought an exciting competition where SA’s top talent competed for the title of “Rock Master”.
This year Bouldering was introduced to the competition with 5 problems being set and each competitor having 5 minutes to complete each problem. Points were scored for most top-outs and bonus points achieved.
The lead competition consisted of two onsight rounds for both men and woman to decide the winners.
Faye Brouard was back this year competing to retain her title of Rock Master 2010.
Many new faces were seen competing this year with the likes of Max Martini and Calrin Curtis who competed in the Youth World Champs in Austria 2011.
This was a night definitely not to be missed!
Thanks to all the sponsors: Black Diamond, Petzl, Five Ten, First Ascent, Mountain Mail Order, MCSA, Tendon, Beal, Extremely South Africa, Saltic, Climb ZA, Red Earth, Darling Wine Cellars and SA Mountain Sport
Congratulations to both Faye and Paul Brouard of KZN who have claimed the title of Rock Master 2011
Pictures from the comp can be viewed on the SA Mountain Facebook Page. Courtesy of GUY ORLIK.
2.Rachelle de Charmoy
2.Benjamin de Charmoy
6.Harry Crews / Max Martini
2.Rachelle de Charmoy
6.Bemjamin de Charmoy
Date: Saturday, 10 December 2011
Format: Modelled on the ultra successful Rock Master Competition and Rock Legends Awards held every year in Arco, Italy – the premier climbing competition in the world.
- All athletes compete by invite only
- Only the very best climbers are invited
- Roughly 10 men and 10 women for each discipline
To stage a climbing competition that brings climbers together from around South Africa (and ultimately from around the globe) – competitors and spectators alike. An event that will be hailed as THE event to compete in, where the best of the best rise to the challenge for the prestige of been crowned Rock Master Champion.
Live commentary and exciting, expert route setting are used to build crowd interest and attendance, so as to add to the entertainment factor of the event.
Competitors for Rock Master 2011
Paul Bruyere (GAUT) – Lead & Boulder
Phlip Olivier (WP) – Lead & Boulder
Guy patterson Jones (WP) – Lead & Boulder
Paul Brouard (KZN) – Lead & Boulder
Jamie Smith (WP) – Lead & Boulder
Matt Bush (WP) – Lead & Boulder
James Barnes (KZN) – Lead & Boulder
Marijus Smigelskis (WP) – Boulder
Andrew Wood (WP) – Lead & Boulder
Harry Crews (WP) – Lead & Boulder
Greg Oudhof (GAUT) – Lead & Boulder
Calrin Curtis (GAUT) – Lead & Boulder
Jahne Theron (WP) – Lead & Boulder
Max Martini (WP) – Lead & Boulder
Mathieu Schneuwly (KZN) – Lead & Boulder
Karen Varga (WP) – Lead
Faye Brouard (KZN) - Lead & Boulder
Candice Bagley (KZN) – Lead & Boulder
Illona Pelser (KZN) – Lead & Boulder
Rachel Strate (WP) - Boulder
Rachelle De Charmoy (KZN) - Lead & Boulder
Julia Chen (WP) – Boulder
Monika Kastner (WP) – Boulder
Catherine Scott (EC)- Lead & Boulder
1. Five problems are set
2. All competitors have 5 minutes on each problem
3. 5 Minute break between each different problem
4. Scores from all problems are added together to reach a total
5. If there is a tie, then a superfinal will be set
Lead Climbing Competition
1. Two routes are set – one for men and one for women
2. All routes are treated as onsights (climbers still to climb will be in isolation)
3. The women each have one go at their route, scoring according to the height gained
4. The men each have one go at their route, scoring according to the height gained
5. Two new routes are set – one for men and one for women
6. The women each have one go at their second route, scoring according to the height gained
7. The men each have one go at their second route, scoring according to the height gained
8. Scores for the two routes get added to reach a total
Rock Legends Awards
Cape Town – 10 December 2011
This is an award ceremony to recognize the achievements of climbers in the year of 2011.