Black Diamond, Beal & Saltic are proud to welcome their new climbing team member, Steve Bradshaw. Steve who is just 29 years old has been rock climbing for 17 years! As a teenager Steve won several national competitions at his age level and red pointed up to grade 31, climbing mostly around Cape Town and Montagu, South Africa.
These days Steve can be described as a self-made world-traveler extraordinaire. He left the finance industry over six years ago to pursue his passion for rock climbing and travel. For the past two and a half years he has been on the road with his wife exploring the world and a life of a climber.
Some of Steve’s highlights have been:
- Sport climbing on the overhanging limestone caves around Mexico City.
- Steve has trekked, bouldered and sport climbed around El Chalten and Bariloche, Patagonia.
- Living in Rocklands, South Africa for a season and upping his bouldering grade to 8b (completing the Fred Nicole problem Mooiste Meisie and re-opening ‘The Arch’ after a hold had broken several years ago). He road-tripped through SA afterwards hitting Oudtshoorn, Waterval Boven and Montagu where he on-sighted Firestarter, 29 and repeated several 31s. In Oudtshoorn Steve came very close to sending Street Fighter, 34
- He trad climbed in Yosemite, California for a month, including ascents of the Rostrum on-sight, the half dome in a day, the nose in four days, and the nose in a day.
- Trad and sport climbing at Spitzkoppe Namibia, where he redpointed the AdK classic Desert Sports, 28.
- Sport climbed at the Darrans (Fiordlands) and Paynes Ford, New Zealand.
- Bouldered with Arjan for a few weeks in Fontainebleau, France.
- Steve also spent two months of enjoying immaculate limestone walls around Catalunya and Madrid, Spain. So far he has on-sighted up to grade 30 and is working on several harder projects – He will be there until he sets sail for Greenland on June 8th.
Steve has some big plans for the future of which Black Diamond, Beal & Saltic are very excited to be involved in. They are:
- Bouldering in Bishop, California November – December, 2012
- 9-month European road-trip in 2013 centred around the concepts of Spain, living in a van, and getting stronger!
- South African Road trip 2013, back to Rocklands, Montagu and Oudtshoorn to finish old projects.
Steve is sponsored by: