Griffith, Steck and Moro Attacked On Everest

Jon Griffith, Ueli Steck and Simone Moro have been attacked on Everest by Sherpas. Steck has a bloody lip from a rock thrown in his face and Griffith and Moro have suffered bruising from being punched and kicked. All three were threatened with death.

The independent trio of climbers had an altercation with a Sherpa team fixing ropes on the mountain, which led to a huge mob of around 100 Sherpas attacking them when they returned down to Camp 2.

Read the full report on


4 Responses to Griffith, Steck and Moro Attacked On Everest

  1. Rob P Apr 29, 2013 at 7:52 pm #

    Can we at least be a bit more independent that UKC? I’m all for reporting bad stuff but not trial by press. UKC and EpicTV have been ridiculous in their rush to support their buddies without remembering that they are actually journalists. I’m not saying these Sherpas didn’t do anything wrong and it appears hat they did but in general Nepali people and Sherpas are lovely people and I have climbed with a bunch of them so lets wait for the full details.

  2. Justin Lawson Apr 30, 2013 at 8:59 am #

    Hey Rob,

    This will be an interesting one to watch, no doubt there will be ‘two stories’ for a while and the truth will hopefully rear its head eventually.
    I agree that Nepali people and Sherpas are great people, but they have been exploited to some degree for some time (who really stood on top of Everest first?).

    Here is another perspective on the matter –

    & the Epic TV report:

  3. Stephen M. Apr 30, 2013 at 1:37 pm #

    A letter from Jon Griffith to UKC:

    Quote: “I understand that we will all come out of this looking bad. It is natural. But in the end everyone looks bad from this incident.”

  4. Justin Lawson May 3, 2013 at 9:05 am #

    Brawl On Everest: Ueli Steck’s Story

    “I went out and this whole crowd was there, maybe 100 people. When I saw they had their faces covered, I knew this was going to be really bad.”

Leave a Comment/Reply/Review