Rocklands Permits

Dear Climbers

We have recently been informed by CapeNature of the changes regarding the permit system in Rocklands:

1. A bouldering permit (R60 per day, or R270 per week; NOT covered by Wildcard) is required to enter the bouldering area on CapeNature’s land, but this includes the usual conservation fee.
2. To hike or climb outside the bouldering area, no bouldering permit is required but the conservation fee is payable (R60 per day or Wildcard). The Tariff on CapeNature’s website is not clear on this and CapeNature will be amending it soon.
3. Permits are obtainable from:
• Clanwilliam Tourism Bureau, Main Road, Clanwilliam (phone 027 4822024; email cederberg@lando.co.za) – their website says they are open from 0830 – 1700 on weekdays, and 0830-12h30 on Saturdays and public holidays (except Good Friday, Christmas Day and New Year);
• Thys at De Pakhuys; and
• Kliphuis campsite itself (open during office hours, including Saturdays).

MCSA will be liaising with CapeNature in the coming months in attempt to amend the new permit costs/regulations and will keep you all updated on our progress. Kindly note that we will be revisiting the current EMP during this time and we urge all climbers to please continue to look after the environment and be conscious of the impact bouldering does have on these areas.

Any questions, please feel free to contact Delaney on delaney@rockchicks.co.za.

Kindest regards
Delaney Carpenter
Convenor for MCSA Rock Climbing Sub Committee

Related article: Rocklands Update

Rocklands permits

7 Responses to Rocklands Permits

1. Andy Davies Jun 21, 2013 at 5:12 pm #

Thanks for the informative update Delaney. Seems a bit rude that a wildcard won’t work for bouldering.

2. steveB Jun 21, 2013 at 6:19 pm #

I’ll post here once I’ve spoken to the guys at the pass again, but I was told by them to call the CNC headoffice to “see if a wildcard would work”. I called the headoffice and was told by a Patrick Hannekom that a wildcard would be all that’s required for Rocklands – no bouldering fee and no activity card. I made him promise the rules wouldn’t change this season once we bought the card and he assured me they wouldn’t. I am therefore highly annoyed to read this post and will follow up with them.

Hopefully we can win this one

Steve Bradshaw
    Campsite 10
    De Pakhuys
    steve.p.bradshaw@gmail.com

3. Clanwilliam Tourism Jun 22, 2013 at 10:08 am #

We have indeed been informed by Cape Nature that wildcards are no longer applicable for bouldering and rock climbing permits. The daily activity fee is R60 per person, weekly permit R270. There is also a monthly permit available, more info can be requested if needed.

• NickT Jun 23, 2013 at 8:27 am #

This is unacceptable! It is not feasible for the average young South African boulderer to fork out that amount of cash every day for a climb!

4. steveB Jun 23, 2013 at 10:05 pm #

I spoke with Jonah today (the guy taking money at Kliphuis). He grudgingly agreed to accept our wildcard this season since we bought it before the rules changed. Good luck everyone else!

5. Keith Jun 24, 2013 at 8:48 am #

It’s like me renting my house out to somebody for a year, taking the entire payment upfront, and then out-of-the-blue arbitrarily demanding more money than was already agreed and paid.

Cape Nature is incredible!

6. HenkG Jun 24, 2013 at 12:53 pm #

From what I have heard (w’end 23 June), rangers have caved in and will accept the Wild Card this season.