High Altitude Climbing Centre is hosting an open Speed‐climbing Competition in Pietermaritzburg on Saturday the 7th of September.
The routes are going to be easy and it will be on top‐rope, so anyone can take part, even if you’ve never climbed before.
Location: High Altitude Climbing Centre
Date: Saturday 7 September 2013
**Competition details below this poster.
Open Speed Climbing Competition 2013
Please pre‐enter, it will really help with organising! Please complete the registration form, indemnity (if you are not already a High Altitude member) and make payment before Friday the 23rd of August.
We want to also run a team relay event, so try get a team together that can take part. There is no extra cost for this, so it’s an excuse to climb more! Each team must have 3 members with at least one member of the opposite gender.
Time and place
The Open Speed‐climbing will take place on Saturday the 7th of September 2013 at High Altitude Climbing Centre. We are located at 1 Neville Rd, Mayors Walk, Pietermaritzburg. For a map to our climbing centre, click here.
(There will also be a youth speed‐climbing comp on Sunday the 8th, please contact us for more information on this event.)
- Registration – 10:00 to 10:45 (you can warm‐up or practice on the routes during this time)
- Climbing starts at 11:00
- There will be a bunch of preliminary rounds (depending on the number of climbers),team relay competition, pull‐up and rope‐climbing competitions, finals etc. We should be done by 16:00Format and information
• All climbs will be on top‐rope.
- You will attempt to set your fastest time, while climbing alongside a competitor on an identical route.
- The routes will be of an easy grade, approximate grade 14.
- Each climber will have a number of separate opportunities to set a time and your best time will be entered.
- Once these preliminary rounds are completed, there will be semi‐finals, finals etc.The format we use will depend on the number of climbers on the day. We will try to maximize the number of times each person gets to climb.
- We want to also run a team relay event, so try get a team together that can take part. There is no extra cost for this, so it’s an excuse to climb more! Each team must have 3 members with at least one member of the opposite gender.
- There will be other competitions running on the day: pull‐up competition and rope‐ climbing competition. Just an opportunity to show off!Other detailsThe cost per climber for the day is R 65 for non‐members, and R 45 for High Altitude members and MCSA members.Our kiosk will be open for food, snacks and drinks.
Our 1m, 3m and 5m rope‐swings will also be running on the day for a minimal fee.We also need lots of helpers for the Sunday Youth event… If anyone is able to help, we will give free entry to the open event, plus lunch on Sunday and we will pay you something (not sure yet how much we can afford!?)
Please let me know if you’re keen.Feel free to contact us for any further information.Josh Pickering
084 250 5694