The Tower Climbing wall

Hey all

While in Europe I saw a lot of really cool urban climbing spots- in squats, under bridges, on old buildings or walls, and I thought that the culture surrounding them was really cool.  Think streetlights, late nights, bicycles, quarts, comings and goings, new and old faces mixed in with climbing.  The street is where people mix and I think South Africa needs that.
So here goes an experiment:

liesbeek tower climbing

The original idea of this spot was to have kind of a free, urban, open space where people can go after varsity/work and interact outside.  The wall is an old, unused water tower (standing empty) next to the Liesbeeck river.  It is about 5m in diameter.
About a hundred and fifty 10mm wide holes have been drilled into the wall, and about 60-70 holds have been put up.

So this is a call for anyone who is keen to get involved.

A couple of ways to get involved:
1st and foremost: Buy some epoxy, 8mm coach screws, 10mm plugs and climbing holds and head out to make this space your own.
2 Donate old climbing holds, or make new ones from rocks
3 If you have a cordless, hammer-action drill, go drill some more holes.
4 Donate money

Below is the location of The Tower, a new, free bouldering spot in Cape Town – Click here for a Google Map location

liesbeek tower climbing wall location

Click to Enlarge

Just make sure that if you do put on a hold it won’t break or come off, do it properly.  The procedure has been to put a bit of epoxy in the hole, a bit of epoxy on the plastic Fischer plug, put the plug in the hole.  Put some epoxy on the back of the hold and on the coach screw itself, and crank it in with a no.13 spanner or ratchet spanner.

•    Don’t put holds too high, people must not hurt themselves falling.
•    Spread the word.
•    Get involved. Own this space.

Also, be Aweh: be friendly to locals, but don’t get yourself into a dangerous situation.
Lekker

Leonard

For any info, help or donations, email: mshasho32(at)gmail.com

Tower Climbing wall

11 Responses to The Tower Climbing wall

1. Warren Gans Mar 2, 2014 at 8:42 pm #

Leo, You okes are heros for putting this up: I cycle past it often and have always wondered who made it happen. Thank you!

I hate to ask this question, but the local govt didn’t have any problems with it? I would expect them to encourage the use of these structures/spaces, but I would be intertested in more background on it. To me this project looks a lot like Moonlight Mass and I agree, we have lots of spaces like this that could be used

2. Johann Lanz Mar 3, 2014 at 7:46 am #

Very cool. Well done for taking the initiative.

3. Chris F Mar 3, 2014 at 1:52 pm #

Great idea, good luck with it. Reminds me of some of the urban artifical boulders in the UK.

4. Leonard Mar 3, 2014 at 11:24 pm #

Warren, so far everyone has been very encouraging. We met two ward council members at the tower one day who were very glad to see it being used. Lots of people have been taking pictures of it. All in all its been very well received.
    Something I did not mention in the article: quite a couple of people have been involved in this project, donating holds and money and time to put up holds, it was by no means only my initiative.
    Lastly, I really encourage anyone who sees any potential in this spot to get involved, either by doing things on their own, or with the rest of us, right now there aren’t enough holds on the wall, but with more holds it will be super cool. I hope I can go there in a month and see some climbing holds that I haven’t seen before!

5. Justin Lawson Mar 4, 2014 at 7:53 am #

Nice job Leonard (and others involved). Happy to hear that you are receiving the support of Ward Councilors.

Thought: Advertise a morning ‘meet’ at the tower so that people can join in / bring donations along and help place more grips?

6. Yaaseen Isaacs Mar 4, 2014 at 9:03 pm #

Nice one Leonard, i’l be checking it out soon

7. Chris Naude Mar 5, 2014 at 8:22 am #

This is very cool! I would love to assist. I am making some grips for my son and we could make some more. What is “too high”? Maybe 3m? David climbs ridiculous heights that I would not think would be wise in a public space.

8. Darryn Mar 5, 2014 at 8:40 am #

Hi Leonard,

This is really rad to finally see, I have had a similar idea for quite some time…but i have had no idea who to approach or get in contact with… if you are interested in hearing my pitch, let me know…

9. Leonard Mar 5, 2014 at 8:59 am #

@Chris, that would be absolutely amazing! shoot me an email, my adress is below the article. Id love to help you make some, maybe we can get a couple of people together. I’d think 4-5m would be a good cap, but i’m not the authority/owner.
    Darryn,email me and we can discuss it.

10. Leonard Mar 5, 2014 at 9:00 am #

Darryn,email me and we can discuss it.

11. Anna Mar 5, 2014 at 6:50 pm #