MCSA Debate 2014

The MCSA has for over 100 years served the South African Climbing community.

• Has it kept with the times?
  • Does it still meet these needs?

We value everybody’s input and would like to extend an open invitation to everybody who enjoys our beautiful mountain heritage to an open debate on the subject Wednesday the 23 July 7:30 for 8:00 at the Johannesburg Section clubhouse.

This is going to be something not to miss, there are a lot of people with very strong views on this subject.
See poster below…

MCSA Debate 2014

10 Responses to MCSA Debate 2014

1. Frank Jul 20, 2014 at 6:24 pm #

Trying my luck here. How would I be able to join the MCSA if I live in Middelburg and have a 7 to 7 job? I won’t be able to make any weekday meets? Surely this can not meen that I won’t be able to join?

2. Ian Jul 20, 2014 at 6:40 pm #

The MCSA have weekday meets? He he tool!

3. Frank Jul 21, 2014 at 9:29 pm #

Wow forgive me for getting the terminology wrong. Weekday MEETINGS. Not meets. Agh. Stuff joining a club full of individuals clearly too knowledgable to help a simple tool desperate to join a club in order to climb safely and to gain the know how of proper access to places. Sod it. I’ll carry on crawling through fences in order to gain access to a cliff. Just don’t be pissed off if access to a spot is hampered cause one or two tools did not know how to gain proper access.

4. Neil Jul 22, 2014 at 11:20 am #

Hi Frank

Why don’t you make a plan to come to the debate and let us know how you feel. That is if you live up north.

Neil

5. Dickie Jul 22, 2014 at 12:37 pm #

Hi Frank

I forgive you. You can always become a country member. I am not sure what benefits or implications that entails, but it is usefull in your case.

One must understand that the MCSA is not only there to serve you, but to serve as a platform.

I would become a member just for the discounts. If you buy a R3000 sleeping bag and a R500 inner you get R350 discount at MMO and Drifters, which covers your Country membership.

Go to their website at (https://sites.google.com/site/mcsamagaliesberg/membership) for more info. You can always email them an ID photo if you cant post it. Im sure Kari would be more than willing to help out.

You dont have to go to the midweek meets (yes, you can call them that too) to become a member

6. Deanvdm Jul 22, 2014 at 6:06 pm #

Frank, there are many MCSA members that lives in many other parts of the world that continue to be members. I guess everyone has their own expectations and criteria for being members but most MCSA members does not attend weekday meets on a regular basis and only join weekend meets only a couple of times a year – like me I think they joined more about the bigger picture than having done a spreadsheet with an item-by-item cost vs. benefit assessment of how many MCSA bolts they are clipping and properties they are visiting per year.

But if you do not know: there is a MCSA property called Wilgepoort 60k from you and winter is the ideal time to go and explore (join a weekend meet). It is a really excelled crag with a wild-and-far-from-the-city feel to it and there are still new routes (trad) being opened there:

7. Frank Jul 22, 2014 at 6:29 pm #

Thanks guys. Little flame of hope has been relit. Really wanna join MCSA.

8. Justin Lawson Jul 25, 2014 at 11:24 am #

How did this mid week meeting go??
    Did anyone get the Tar and Feathers treatment?
    Was there a fight?
    Was there transcendence??

Is Frank a proud MCSA member?

?????

9. Neil Jul 25, 2014 at 12:15 pm #

Hi Justin

The debate went very well. There was a lot of very constructive input and we have distilled out the following points so far:
    • We need to formulate a clear vision
    • We need to make changes to the venue
    • We need to add more social feel
    • We need to be more associated with other groups with similar interest
    • We need to revise the joining procedure
    • We need to have one day a week standing event at a climbing wall

This is a draft still, but I am working on an official report which I will get out soon.

Thank you to everybody who attended and contributed.

10. Justin Lawson Aug 6, 2014 at 9:01 am #

You can read the report back here: http://www.climbing.co.za/2014/08/mcsa-vision-2015-beyond/