Montagu Crag Closures

Right!  Now that I have you attention.  Bosch Kloof is not closed.  It remains open, for now.

Dear All,

This article stems from activity in Bosch kloof, Montagu during the past week.

A person took their dog to Boschkloof, this person also did not have a permit. Along the way they met the owner of Die Tolhuis (the white house below the kloof).

I received an apology from the owner of the dog and they are very sorry and did not realise that dogs are not allowed. The person had not been there in ages and someone else was meant to buy a permit for them (in which case someone else should have told you not to bring your dog along, because they would have agreed to the T&C’s) – which leads me to assume that they did not have permits either 🙄
EDIT:  The person did in fact have a permit

Please think of Montagu as ‘NO GO’ DOG AREA from now on – its just easier that way.

Currently the following crags are closed in Montagu:
Lost World
Oorglogs Kloof
– ‘Another area’ which is not worth mentioning as yet

There is a group of us (mostly locals) that are trying to gain access and open up these closed crags.
When we approach new property owners (to open up their properties to climbers), we like to use other property owners where climbers are welcome as references.

ClimbZA pays and manages the permit system for Boschkloof – all the permit money goes to the land owner.
We put a lot of time/effort into getting the area open and maintaining things (after 3 years of closure) – the land owners also took time with us.

As per the first closure, and while the land owner wants people to enjoy themselves on his mountain… an analogy used was “if a car gives me trouble, I get rid of it“.  This was in reference to climbers going onto his property.

If the area is closed again. I don’t know if we will be able to re-open it again – landowners talk among one another and Boschkloof is a good example of a permit system where things work well (until now).

It becomes difficult for me personally to make up excuses for other people.

Yes, you can sneak into Boschkloof (because I don’t have the time or money to police it). Do this and risk future access for all.

Don’t like anything of the above or disagree ???
Please pick one or all of the following:  Mail me / comment here or just stay out of Bosch Kloof.
I’m happy for anything constructive.

p.s. Access is often a complicated and prickly affair

Bosch Kloof‎ has 10 crags and 97 Routes. You may climb at Legoland without a permit (same owner as Bosch Kloof).

, ,

7 Responses to Montagu Crag Closures

1. #whatsyourexcuse Jul 9, 2018 at 2:27 pm #

“someone else was meant to buy a permit for them”?

that’s right up there with ‘my dog ate the permit”.

name and shame them. how lame. threatening access for all of us….

• Justin Jul 9, 2018 at 2:34 pm #

As it turns out a permit was bought for the person.
      I’m not going to be naming anyone – although I’ll consider it for the future.

Please everyone (this goes for the whole country), enquire or know about access requirements before you go.

2. Justin Jul 10, 2018 at 10:00 am #

Two quick edits: The person had a permit and did not meet the owner of Die Tolhuis.

Please be aware that ‘Die Tolhuis’ and the farmer collect their drinking/house water from the kloof.
    Dogs are also known to kill/scare wildlife.

3. Micky Jul 10, 2018 at 5:41 pm #

It’s never really a dog issue, more of a people issue. If a dog is unruly at the crag that’s a people issue. Easier to ban dogs as it takes no effort or creativity. Might as well ban children and possibly just people in general.

Anyway shot for the effort in keeping crags open in Montagu. It definitely seems to be becoming a more unfriendly place over the years

• Justin Jul 10, 2018 at 7:13 pm #

Correct. If you recall, people were initially banned. Then we sat down with the owner and worked out what a possible compromise might be…

But yeah, I like to leave my child and the dogs at home when I go climb (my kid doesn’t climb thankfully!)
      Micky you can do training so that all dogs (and kids) are as well behaved as Panda 😉

It’s a shit problem (mostly – drinking water).

We are doing the best we can with the resources available to us.

• Micky Jul 10, 2018 at 9:13 pm #

my apologies for the rant Justin. I get bummed not being able to climb at places I used too. Anyway seriously appreciate the effort in keeping access open

• Justin Lawson Jul 10, 2018 at 9:37 pm #

No apologies needed.
          You’re right about a lot of stuff and welcome to throw Panda in our yard anytime 🙂