THIS WILL BE THE VERY FIRST EVENT OF IT’S KIND!! A JOINT SAFE HIKING AND CLIMBING EVENT, VERY EXCITING INDEED!!
SAFESOUTHHIKES has the priivilege of teaming up with Climbing leaders from the MCSA (Mountain Club of SA), who are the organisers of #SAFECLIMB events.
The hike up to Peers Cave will start from the Fish Hoek Sports fields at 09:15, hikers can walk at their own pace and make their way back down when they wish to. Hikers are encouraged to give climbing a bash, especially the kids!!
Climbers are welcome to arrive from 08:00 onwards.
The event will end at 2 pm when security leaves the area,
1) FISH HOEK SPORTS FIELDS parking area between the sports club builidings is the main parking area for the event and will be monitored by Fidelity ADT Security. ALL hikers MUST please park here. Climbers who choose to park and walk up from here are totally welcome to do so.
2) PEERS CAVE PARKING ON OU KAAPSEWEG: This is the secondary parking area for a very limited amount of cars for climbers specifically. This will be for the early arrivals and the area will fill up quickly. Security will be also provided at this parking area for the duration of the event.
3) RETIREMENT VILLAGE PARKING (San Michelle): For climbers who wish to approach Peers Cave from that side (when the Ou Kaapseweg parking is full) and not come up from the sports fields. It is about a 20 minute walk in from the retirement village involving crossing of Ou Kaapseweg. The security from the retirement village will keep an eye out on the cars parked here.
Climbers and hikers can make use of the entire Peers Cave area and may do so at their leisure between the hours of 08:00 and 14:00 (Hikers from 09:15)
Kids and adults alike are encouraged to give climbing a go on the easier climbing routes and all will be prepared for them to be able to do so, under the experienced guidance and instruction of the MCSA climbing leaders. Equipment will be provided for as well as experienced belayers. Topropes will be in position.
Parents are requested to please oversee and assist their kids when necessary at all times.
The event will be made safe by:
– TMNP Honorary Rangers.
– SAPS (informed of event and in contact).
– Mountain Men and Fidelity-ADT who will cover the entire route and parking areas.
– SAFE SOUTH HIKE Volunteers- Marshalls and Hike Leaders.
All working together and forming part of the Table Mountain Security Action Group (TMSAG) initiative.
Teamwork makes this all possible!
“Better together” to take back the mountain spaces.
WHEN: Saturday 10 November
TIME: 09:15 (08:00 for climbers)
START: Fish Hoek Sports fields
DURATION OF ENTIRE EVENT: +- 6 hours in total
LENGTH OF HIKE: +- 1 hour up and down to the caves and crags.
1)FISH HOEK SPORTS FIELDS: Follow signs to Fish Hoek Sports fiields off Kommetjie Road Fish Hoek
2) PEERS CAVE OU KAAPSEWEG SMALL PARKING AREA: If you are approaching from the Cape Town side the parking will be on the left of Ou Kaapseweg as the road dips down towards Sunvalley
3) RETIREMENT VILLAGE PARKING (CLIMBERS ONLY):
Take the Noordhoek/ San Michelle turnoff from Ou Kaapseweg. Lookout for the big retirement village.
Please ensure you are prepared for a change in weather. Pack a warm top.
All dogs to be controlled and on leads if necessary. TMNP activity permit needed. Please remember to bring a bag and collect your dog poop along the way.
Respect the fauna and flora in the area.
This will be the Eighth Safe Hike held by SAFESOUTHHIKES.
Previous Hikes ventured safely to crime Hotspots have been to Silvermine East, Trappieskop Kalk Bay, Kleinplaas Dam Red Hill, Peers Cave, Slangkop Kommetjie, Noordhoek Beach (hosted by #tbom) and Elsies Peak.
SAFESOUTHHIKES is now firmly established in the South Peninsula area, and we are dedicated to providing a safe hiking experience for all ages, young and old.
The hikes are usually short in length, relatively easy, accessible and are held on the first Saturday of every month.
For any queries or more info call or whattsapp:
Dave Pena and Brian Watts
Dave: Cell/ Whattsapp: 0762348223
Brian: Cell/ Whattsapp: 07 82 921 6993