As we anticipated for years, they have Stress Corrosion Cracking (SCC) of their stainless steel bolts, just as Cayman Brac and Thailand used to have.
Archive | Gear RSS feed for this section
A high performance Italian model with Velcro. In the absence a Lamborghini sports car sharing the same name, I’ll tell you about my test drive of the climbing shoes instead.
Robert and Trish from MMO speak to us about their decision to bring Mammut ropes back to the South African climbing market.
Icebreaker Review by Malcom Gowans. “I’ve been testing out my Icebreakers on multi-pitch sport routes, wintery trail runs, sweating and grunting while missioning up bushy kloofs in search of illusive trad lines and TACFIT training on cold rainy beaches.”
The UIAA – International Mountaineering and Climbing Federation is issuing a worldwide warning to users of via ferrata sets to check the websites of manufacturers in order to find out whether the unit they are using is safe.
Instead of taking more rest days or doing something silly like yoga, I decided to acquire some items that I though my body would appreciate. These included an ergonomic chair, an orthopaedic pillow and a backpack that fits well.
The outdoors is getting greater. More people going outdoors, that translates to more customers and more stuff to buy and sell. Business is good.
The Reverso 4 looks and performs almost identically to its predecessor the Reverso 3. That is to say that it is an excellent belay device.
If you like your water at a certain temperature then this is the reservoir for you.
Top of the range waterproof jacket, designed for the most extreme conditions on the planet.
When I received the packet at the post office I was surprised how light and small it was for what is a proper shell jacket.
The Apple Jacket is a windproof, water resistant shell with a full zip weighing in at a mere 95g!
The First Ascent 5-in1 Poncho is, as the name suggest, a poncho with some extra tweaks that makes it easier to use it for other purposes than just a raincoat.
The CORE is a rechargeable battery that fits the TIKKA2 & ZIPKA2 headlamps.
Andrew was reportedly seen recently in the Cape, where he made an ‘onsight’ of TM trad classic ‘No Longer at Ease’, 25 ‘The walk in was harder than the climb (seriously!)
The Yak Sac is a bombproof expedition bag designed for hauling gear for any sort of journey on which you might be embarking.
In brief, it’s lighter, safer, smaller and works like the old one (just like an old friend but now with benefits)
A soulful new twist on climbing literature, the stories in Sharper Edges span two decades of climbing, BASE jumping and family life. With frankness, sensitivity, philosophy and deadpan humour, Andy de Klerk takes you on the end of a rope into his world of extreme danger, friendship, heartache and loss.
Tags: Andrew De Klerk
There was a buzz on the Climb.co.za forum recently around bad things happening when good men do nothing…and removable bolts (RBs) were mentioned.
Bisphenol A (or BPA for short) is a compound used in the manufacturing of many plastics. There have been many reports in main stream media about the dangers of BPA leaching in to the drinking water or food of containers made with BPA.
Find us on Facebook
- Bolt issue on Kalymnos May 2, 2013
- Space Race – a new route on Table Mountain May 6, 2013
- New Cederberg Hiking map – Names update May 3, 2013
- Brian sending ‘Just Behrly’ May 6, 2013
- Jimbo Smith opens Last of the Mohawks on Table Mountain April 30, 2013
- A Himalayan Adventure May 17, 2013
- Activity Permits for rock climbing in the the Table Mountain National Park May 17, 2013
- Montagu locals watching over nature reserves May 17, 2013
- Los Muizenbergos at Topside May 17, 2013
- 2013 Black Diamond Tradathon May 15, 2013
- Bruno FARA: @BAbycoat This year I have rebolted three old r...
- Emanuele Pellizzari: @BAbycoat At the moment in Kaly they use 304 or 3...
- Nic Le Maitre: Awesome Hilton, glad to hear that you are back cli...
- BAbycoat: My! what a discussion. There seems to be two pa...
- Emanuele Pellizzari: @ Martin I am not arguing on this point. I am jus...