Over the last 14 months I’ve collected enough carabiners used as lower-offs at belays to make a sound statistical analysis with the aim of drawing some conclusions about their breaking strengths.
Archive | Reports RSS feed for this section
Guy and I had spent the afternoon on Table Mountain working on our Space Race project.
“A dragon without fangs is only a lizard”, I mused when Matthys and Werner raised the challenge to do the 250km Grand Traverse of the Umkhahlamba Drakensberg.
As we anticipated for years, they have Stress Corrosion Cracking (SCC) of their stainless steel bolts, just as Cayman Brac and Thailand used to have.
I am pretty bored with the sport climbing in Cape Town so climbing on Table Mountain is new and exciting for me.
The beauty of trad. is the amazing depth and breadth of experience that it offers…
Well done to Matt Bush as the overall winner of the 2013 Montagu Rock Rally!
Tags: rock rally
50% of the proceeds will be given to good South African climbing causes, with a sport climbing focus.
Tags: Waterval Boven
Last year, the guys sailed 11,000 kilometres in a 10 metre sailboat from Scotland to Alaska stopping at various points to open new big-wall routes on cliffs that jutted straight out of the ocean.
Tags: Arctic Expedition
Better than Rocklands, a shorter drive, and hotter showers in the campsite… What more could you possibly ask for?
Tags: Gydo Pass
Matt Bush opened Aura, (8b) at the Pipeline in Badkloof, Montagu
Tags: Matt Bush
It does not matter what your ability is, how fearful you get or how you handle that fear. It’s about pushing your own boundaries, testing your own limits and ultimately learning something about yourself.
Some of you will remember the great success we had at the Table Mountain Cleanup (TM Cleanup) last year, well we are doing it again!
Tags: Table Mountain
Last summer the professional mountain climbers Michi Wohlleben, Arne Bergau and Hannes Jähn made an attempt to ascend the 6,094 metre Jirishanca.
The lower entrance to The Mine could soon be a thing of the past due to thieves who have stolen 5000 meters of copper wire.
Matt Bush opened Dynamighty at grade 28 this past week. The new line is the direct extension to Dynamite
What better way to start March than by downloading the latest Waterval Boven update!
Tags: Waterval Boven
There is one month to go before the start of the Easter Bouldering Festival.
Adam Ondra linked the 55-meter-long project, establishing Change, the world’s first route graded 5.15c/9b+.
Tags: Adam Ondra
Today’s astronomy session shall be straight to the to the point, much like a bayonet, but hopefully less painful. Fear not, there is also a climbing tale…
Find us on Facebook
- Bolt issue on Kalymnos May 2, 2013
- Space Race – a new route on Table Mountain May 6, 2013
- New Cederberg Hiking map – Names update May 3, 2013
- Brian sending ‘Just Behrly’ May 6, 2013
- Jimbo Smith opens Last of the Mohawks on Table Mountain April 30, 2013
- A Himalayan Adventure May 17, 2013
- Activity Permits for rock climbing in the the Table Mountain National Park May 17, 2013
- Montagu locals watching over nature reserves May 17, 2013
- Los Muizenbergos at Topside May 17, 2013
- 2013 Black Diamond Tradathon May 15, 2013
- Bruno FARA: @BAbycoat This year I have rebolted three old r...
- Emanuele Pellizzari: @BAbycoat At the moment in Kaly they use 304 or 3...
- Nic Le Maitre: Awesome Hilton, glad to hear that you are back cli...
- BAbycoat: My! what a discussion. There seems to be two pa...
- Emanuele Pellizzari: @ Martin I am not arguing on this point. I am jus...