Beginner climber

If you are a beginner climber and want to ask other climbers any questions - then this is the place to ask.
Wana9

Beginner climber

Post by Wana9 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:24 pm

Good Day

i am from Pretoria and want to start climbing. have been hiking.

want to do high angle climbing and abseiling and also want to know where is the best spots around Pretoria area to go Climb.

also what courses do i need to do and where to begin.

Thank you

Dolores

Re: Beginner climber

Post by Dolores » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:54 pm

Start bouldering or top-roping. The thing that will be the weakest in your hands, fingers, forearms. Not enough besides climbing will fix that.

There's a routes database on this site to view for places to climb. There's a greater one on Mountain Project Or go to the gym and make some friends who climb and go where they go.

good luck
Dolores Malone

deSouzaFrank

Post by deSouzaFrank » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:12 pm

Howzit wana9

High angle climbing?
Abseil?

Yeah i think its best you join a climbing gym and make some friends. Preferably with people who dont talk of high angle climbing and have enough experience to teach you properly, so you may learn to climb safely and not just get obsessed with grade chasing.

If you’re willing to pay for a course, try Gavin at peak high mountaineering or Gustav/Jan/Alex at Roc n Rope in Waterval Boven.

http://rocrope.com
http://peakhigh.co.za/search/Sport+climbing/

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:08 am

So I suspect that you should go to the Barn

www.climbingbarn.co.za

or try the indoor bouldering gym:

thebouldercave.co.za

These may be listed somewhere here with more details but that is an easy starting point

If you want to get outdoors contact the Magaliesberg Section of the Mountain Club of South Africa
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...

ScottI

Post by ScottI » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:18 am

You sound very adement!
Thats great but remember climbing can be very complicated in terms of safety for a beginner.

Go to The barn in retoria and book yourself a intro course. They will teach you the basics.
CityRock in JHB also gives intro courses - its in JHB but believe me its worth the drive.

Make some friends, remember you cant climb alone :thumright - you need someone to belay you.
If you are young, the Exploratio club is a great place to make climbing friends. They meet on Mondays and Wednesdays at the climbing wall at LC de villiers from 19:00 - 21:00

If you are a bit older I will suggest joining up with MCSA. The meet on Tuesdays at 19:00 at the clubhouse in Rietondale. http://www.mcsamagalies.co.za/index.php/calendar

Indoor climbing options:
The barn PTA east
The boulder cave - Silverton
Rock Valley climbing - Centurion
City Rock in JHB

Outdoor:
Bronkies
chosspile
Boven!

see the beginners weekend event on Facebook this weekend and get in contact with the admin! its a 3 hour drive from PTA but I PROMISE it will be worth it.

good luck and be safe! :afro: