Topo maps

If you are a beginner climber and want to ask other climbers any questions - then this is the place to ask.
itsDuncan

Topo maps

Post by itsDuncan »

I'm not sure where to post about this, so thought of starting here should be okay. Looking for Topo maps in general of places to climb, as I mostly walk with GPS. Had a problem with Tonquani today. Cant seem to find any info out on the web or on this site. There is some TOPO maps (PDF not GPX but will still help) on the wiki page of the "Tonquani Complex". But both these links have been broken. If someone can point me into the right direction where I can download any such files would be greatly appreciated.
AllisterFenton

Re: Topo maps

Post by AllisterFenton »

Hey Duncan

The MCSA have a good selection of topo maps for the Magaliesberg, try emailing your admin (JHB or PTA) and see if they can email or wetransfer them. As far as I'm aware, they are free.

I'm sure they are online somewhere but I've had no luck finding them. Maybe Justin can update the wiki links as well :hapban

Allister
hendriks

Post by hendriks »

The topo data for the whole country can be downloaded from the ngi portal:

http://www.cdngiportal.co.za/cdngiportal/

Another great place to view the data online is here as a seamless mosaic:

https://htonl.dev.openstreetmap.org/ngi ... 0.41/24.61
Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly »

Hi

Go with what Allister said - the MCSA has excellent maps for their land and will be able to provide them to you if you are authorised to go there or are a member. They should be all you need.

These are wilderness areas and require permission to access so the widespread access to maps of these areas are not necessarily intended to be in the common domain. One can point out that this is inevitable but as I understand from the MCSA this is not necessarily the intention of the landowners involved with the lands they either own or have access to or need to cross to access MCSA properties. This is a complex situation, just like Chosspile, where it is not a case of the MCSA being restrictive but having to consider other peoples wishes/ requirements with regards to access and regarding the rights of private property owners. In many cases there are complex rules with regards to the access and ingress to these lands based on the requirements agreed to by the owners of these access and ingress points and these must be adhered to. No doubt if you are given a map you will receive the details of these requirements SO please adhere to them and do not violate everyone elses chance to get there.
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...
itsDuncan

Post by itsDuncan »

Thanks alot for your replies. I mailed MCSA Jozi and they only know about the Topo maps on thier website. There is though no names and specific locations on where the climbs begin and end. I was maybe a bit too hopefull, but was looking for a more GPS based solution, GPX format.
RyanKarate

Post by RyanKarate »

Someone on this group said this a while ago that stuck with me and has helped me -

Don’t look for the start of a route - look for the main objective of the climb “the fun part”. Find that, then try work out (sometimes with difficulty) how to get there with a little help from the route guide.

Once you start knowing the kloof you’ll see there is no ways to gps or map out the climbs. It’s so complex and not straight forward.

A lot of the time googling the route helps. Check the images.

Sometimes finding the route from almost nothing can also be quite rewarding and render some interesting adventure climbing!
Helping People to the Top of Their Mountain
1on1Adventures.co.za