It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:59 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Sort-of New to Climbing
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:43 pm 

Hi,

I joined the forum today and I'm very interesting in starting climbing (again). I'm 31 and the last time I've been on a wall was 10 years ago in Varsity and that was mostly for play. Needless to say, I'm starting as a beginner.

Did get some good advice from the lady at Hikers Paradise in Centurion on Saturday.

Here is the main catch...

I have a fear of heights, but would like to do outdoor climbing.

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:47 pm 

Most climbers are afraid of heights, however we have safety precautions to stave off the fear :P

As a guide/instructor I've coaxed many people up and over the edge (abseiling)... IMO most people who are afraid of heights really are not. A fear of heights should also not be confused with vertigo (which almost everyone will get in the right circumstances).

There are number of ways to get started - below are some of the more popular one's:
1.) With a climbing guide - this is good because you know 100% that you can trust the certified guide - it might take just one session to get over your fear.
2.) With the Mountain Club of South Africa - see http://www.mcsa.org.za to find your closest MCSA club
3.) With people you meet at a climbing gym/facility (a bit like blind dating, so it is advisable that you know how to take care of your own safety before hand).
- You need to trust the people you are climbing with 100% in order to conquer your fear of heights (so choose well).
4.) An apprenticeship with an experienced climber (this doesn't happen so much anymore on account of everyone having busy lives!)
- With all of the above it is advisable that you do a climbing course.

Stick to toproping easy routes to begin with (do laps on them if needs be) - climb up, climb down, swing around on the rope while you are resting, this will make you more comfortable with the height.

Whilst climbing if you get 'that feeling', sit down on the rope, breath and look around - once you're feeling happier, continue climbing (always give it at least another go).
And remember, thousands of people go climbing everyday... so you're being irrational ;)

Let us know how you get on :thumleft:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:57 pm 

Thank you for the sound advice. Funny that I'm not afraid of anything else, just height. But have been since childhood.

I love the idea of climbing and abseiling.

I have read up about MCSA. Would love to get to a point were I can with confidence volunteer for Search and Rescue. Many years to go.

I live in Centurion and work in Sandton. I see MCSA Jhb meets near to where I work. Don't know what region Centurion is in. I have heard good things about the Wonderwall gym. Is it better to start outdoors, or in a gym.

I do apologize for all the questions.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:41 pm 

If you work in Sandton, you may want to check out RockFit - they're just off Marlboro. They also have really great coffee :thumright

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:42 pm 

Cool. Will give them a shot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:29 am 

Your options are open for lots of indoor climbing, Wonderwall in Kyasands, RockFit in Marlboro and Tukkies in PTA.
It's probably best for you to start off with indoor to get over your mental fears and also to meet like minded folk who can guide and show you the 'ropes'.

What are you waiting for... :thumright

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:50 am 

Money extremely tight this month. Daughter's 3rd birthday today and wife's ** birthday tomorrow. ;)

But will definitely get there before the year is out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:52 am 

I see MCSA Jhb meets near to where I work. Don't know what region Centurion is in. I have heard good things about the Wonderwall gym. Is it better to start outdoors, or in a gym....!!!

Check out our complete collection of 650-393 tutorials and 642-902 guide on Adobe Photoshop essentials. Join CISA web designing course to become expert in web designing.For more information visit VMWARE ,Best Of Luck.