Beginners course

If you are a beginner climber and want to ask other climbers any questions - then this is the place to ask.
AdrianT

Beginners course

Post by AdrianT » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:00 pm

Hi there,

I contacted a company in Cape Town offering a sports climbing intro course but unfortunately they only have the next one running in March 2015.

Any recommendations to a school? Or a private individual who would be willing to do something like this? You'd be paid, obviously.

I have shoes/harness/chalk bag/ATC and recently acquired some draws. My girlfriend has some borrowed shoes and a harness.

The course in question said it would cover and I quote, "equipment, natural and bolted anchor setups, knots, single pitch climbing, top roping, abseiling, belaying, cleaning, route finding and guidebooks, lead climbing, climbing techniques, crag etiquette, safety and basic emergency procedures."
It was a 2 day course.

Simply put - two of us would like to start off on the right foot and learn to do things safely :mrgreen: I'm a strong believer in safety, am 32, reasonably fit and am very familiar with several outdoor sports some of which people call, and I hate the word, extreme. Any advice? Any takers? Need a good school, or a patient, friendly outdoorsy climber willing to teach. My girlfriend has never climbed. I've top roped a few times in my life :)

Many thanks,
Adrian

Justin

Re: Beginners course

Post by Justin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:33 pm

Hi Adrian,
Drop me a mail and we can set something up (either in Cape Town or in Montagu) - justin@climbing.co.za
http://montaguclimbing.com
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Warren G

Post by Warren G » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:03 pm

Most climbers I know started with a mentorship, rather than a course. Remember this isn't SCUBA or sky diving where a qualification is mandatory- anyone can by kit and climb a cliff. The trick is finding someone willing to do that for you, and for that alone a course is easier to find.

Clearly though doing a course through a qualified professional will be a safer and more thorough way.
Sandbagging is a dirty game

wesleywt

Post by wesleywt » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:25 pm

You could try the basic course at City Rock. Or save money and boulder :thumright

GClamp

Post by GClamp » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:31 pm

Join the MCSA Cape Town section .... There is an introduction to sport climbing day for free! It happens every few months. :thumleft:

Otherwise like Warren said find a mentor or join a climbing group. If you want more details on this PM me. I am sure there are many people out there willing to show you the ropes. Plus it is handy to start climbing with someone who has all the gear initially, be it trad or sport.

AdrianT

Post by AdrianT » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:19 am

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I'll shoot you a mail Justin, shot.

Yip I know there aren't any qualifications needed. And I also have no intention of joining any clubs. I also paraglide, and don't enjoy the scene of the clubs, and the ego's :)

I've always taught myself everything, usually from books, but I think a couple of sessions to start off on the right foot will be the best route for us in the name of safety :lol: Will see what happens. Thanks again.

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:03 am

Though some of the forum members may not view me as the best advocate for this - don't prejudge the clubs - they are actually very helpful and full of cool people.

The MCSA in particular has a low cost to entry and brings many advantages, besides which many of the sport routes you climb on and the land the trad lines are on are normally either equipped, owned or have had access negotiated by the MCSA. As far as I know the CT MCSA is full of cool and interesting people who will not charge you to climb with them. Look them up anyhow - I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

As far as professional instruction there are quite a few guides and instructors in Cape Town. Ask around and you will find them. Ross Suter comes to mind. It is a good idea to get the basics dialled and work from there- well worth the money.
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...

AdrianT

Post by AdrianT » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:50 pm

Cool stuff, I won't pre-judge :)

Managed to hit Silvermine Lower with a mate and my girlfriend. Her first time on the rock. So far so good. Sure, not very visually exciting to the non-beginners, but some pics anyway :drunken: