Climbing spot/opportunities around Newcastle

If you are a beginner climber and want to ask other climbers any questions - then this is the place to ask.
CarieN

Climbing spot/opportunities around Newcastle

Post by CarieN » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:44 am

Hi, I've climbed before but years ago and therefore consider myself a beginner (plus I'm not super athletic so even when I was climbing and in my top shape, it was not higher than 18). I have relocated to the Newcastle area (Dundee) and would like to get back into some outdoor activities.

Does anyone have some tips on where I can go climb? I am especially interested in bouldering spots; something close enough to go camp for the weekend and get some bouldering and hiking done, some rafting too if anyone knows good spots....

AdrianT

Re: Climbing spot/opportunities around Newcastle

Post by AdrianT » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:12 am

Can't help with the climbing but I've been kayaking a while... In summer check out the Buffalo River. It has some great sections, and some serious class 4 and 5 too so be careful. Not sure on your intent. KwaZulu-Natal is a mine field of rivers, I hope you get to enjoy some of them! Browse through my website, there are over 250 articles on it with various river trips. Most of them are not described per say, but the pictures should inspire you to head out there:
http://www.adrian.playak.com/

The Bivane and Pongolo are worth a trip too. Upper Pongola has rarely been paddled. In fact there is a first descent waiting if memory serves. But probably kayaking only. The Bushmans is very cool too, and the Tugela. Swaziland is not that far way too if you wish to step it up somewhat. Good luck.

CarieN

Post by CarieN » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:03 pm

Thank you! I will check them out.

Hallam

Post by Hallam » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:56 am

Hi Carien,

Stephan Swanepoel opened about thirty routes on Langberg near Vrede in the mid-90s. I haven't been there, and probably very few people have. I'm not even sure the bolts are still good. Do us a favour - check it out and let us all know.
http://www.climbing.co.za/wiki/Langberg

Otherwise, come and join us at Swinburne some time - we're always looking for an excuse to come up from Pmb. Send a PM when you've got a weekend free.