Getting back in to climbing in CT, advice needed.

If you are a beginner climber and want to ask other climbers any questions - then this is the place to ask.
muzz

Getting back in to climbing in CT, advice needed.

Post by muzz » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:32 pm

Hi guys

So bit of a backstory, about 6 years ago I used to do quite a bit of climbing at CityRock, lots of top-roping and bouldering but never got round to doing the lead course. Life went on and I stopped climbing, mainly because I didn't have any climbing mates who climbed outside of the gym.

Back to present day, I have been trail running for a good few years and in the process discovered many out-of-the-way trails around Table Mountain. The itch has always been there to take things further, so I also do a lot of scrambling and steep climbs which don't involve rope work but some climbing to a degree (Kloof cnr ridge for example).

I do have a number of friends who enjoy the climbing side, but they're not keen to take it to the "harness" stage, as I call it, where the serious pitch climbing begins. So on to my main reason for this post...

Where to go from here? Obviously I would need to do some form of refresher course in belaying, etc but I'm not sure if there are some climbing groups out there which are active on and around the mountain? I'm aware of MCSA but not sure how big the climbing section of the club is?

Thanks!
M

Dragon

Re: Getting back in to climbing in CT, advice needed.

Post by Dragon » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:50 pm

Ten people would proceed in ten different ways and each would probably work fine. The MCSA is certainly one of the ways to go, and I would recommend it highly. The climbing section is plenty big.

RyanCT

Post by RyanCT » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:02 pm

I would also definitely recommend the MCSA - there are fairly regular (every three months or so) intro climbing sessions at Silvermine, as well as frequent (basically weekly) meets on many of the moderate/easy TM classic climbs/scrambles.

muzz

Post by muzz » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:04 am

Thanks guys, hoping to meet with MCSA this weekend at Silvermine.