How to start climbing again

If you are a beginner climber and want to ask other climbers any questions - then this is the place to ask.
pilchards

How to start climbing again

Post by pilchards » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:29 pm

Hello to you :)

I began climbing about 18 years ago in high school and now wish to climb as a sport or an alternative to gym.
I know I can go to The Barn and just somehow start climbing again, but I haven't set foot in any place to get fit - I'm totally unfit and spend the day at a piano or behind a pc. I have the choice to go to a gym or find a sport, and I think that I would more prefer to start climbing again.

Besides speaking to Paul, what should I start doing to have some level of ability to climb or boulder without conking out after 30 seconds?
[My question is, what can I do to prepare myself?]

I am autistic and have a difficult sticking to things, but I really need to get fit and do something fun so that I can enjoy life more. :hapban
I'm doing an apprenticeship in piano tuning/technician and being the odd one out that doesn't assist in moving pianos really sucks...

Malcs

rocklooney

Re: How to start climbing again

Post by rocklooney » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:41 am

I've stopped and re-started climbing many times over the years due to injury, work commitments, the arrival of unplanned offspring etc etc. The main thing is to understand that there really is no rush. I started again last week after a six-month layoff and my first sessions have consisted of traverses in the gym lasting no more than fifteen minutes to half an hour. This gets the muscles and tendons working again and enables me to start using the engrams again. I focus on avoiding injury and just enjoying the moves. As I start to feel stronger I start to extend the sessions until I can stay on the wall for around 45 minutes without coming off. I don't really start working problems and routes until I've been back into it for four to six weeks. Aerobic fitness is obviously important for walk-ins and longer routes but I don't worry too much about that at the outset. In a nutshell just get there and start, making sure that you enjoy yourself. Your body will tell you when it's ready to start pushing harder.

GClamp

Post by GClamp » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:07 am

rocklooney wrote:the arrival of unplanned offspring etc etc.
:lol:

Made me laugh ... definately one way to put the brakes on a climbing career.

Chris F

Post by Chris F » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:34 pm

Yup, planned or unplanned!

Are you overweight or generally unfit? Never underestimate the effect of shifting a few pounds and maintaining a reasonable general level of fitness. I've had a recent break due to injury, and managed to get back into it a lot quicker than previous as I managed to get out cycling a fair bit to burn up some calories and stay in reasonable shape. Also did a bit of core work even if I couldn't pull on holds.

pilchards

Post by pilchards » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:35 pm

Thanks for the reply :)

What are engrams?
I'm as skinny as a bean pole, although my stomach area has started to grow out - I have a mini boep. I have never been a fan of the gym, so that explains why my six-pack is under cover. Sometimes I can eat an elephant and I'll still be hungry, or another day I only eat a mouse and I'll be full. I should be fat by now...but I'm not. I'm actually just on the line of having OK stats. If I lose one more Kg I'll be under weight!

Chris F

Post by Chris F » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:04 am

Better to be lean than large! Some CV fitness is always good though.