Hi from the noob

If you are a beginner climber and want to ask other climbers any questions - then this is the place to ask.

Hi from the noob

Post by sheffmonster » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Hi everyone, a quick hello from myself in my newly obsessed climbing state.
Officially completed my introductory course at City Rock, Paarden Eiland last weekend and now fancy myself a pro!
Had a go at plenty walls and thoroughly enjoyed them all. Looking forward to gaining some valuable insight from the forum and eventually move to the trad side when I've managed to gather enough equipment of which I so far have a chalk bag and some chalk! Damn this sport is pricey, and I thought mountain biking was bad.
If anyone has the desire to impart some knowledge or pointers or even requiring company for a belay, I'd be glad to make some new climbing buddies or move your bouldering mat for you!
Have a good one!

Nic Le Maitre

Re: Hi from the noob

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:30 am

Hey dude

Always great to hear of new people getting into the sport. Climbing's not that expensive compared to cycling and no one will give you kak for not upgrading your bike every year.

CityRock is probably the best place to meet people to go climbing outdoors with, otherwise join the MCSA climbing meets. I'd suggest that you get into sport climbing before starting to trad, it has a much lower barrier to entry and you're much more likely to find sport climbing partners than trad at least at the beginning.
Happy climbing

Post by mokganjetsi » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:02 pm

what nick said

i concur that mountain biking is far more expensive - climbing gear lasts for many years when looked after well :thumright

anyways, getting into the gear game i suggest you buy in the following order
1. shoes (best to buy new with a comfy fit; you will take a while to grow your climbing grades into those requiring tight fitting performance shoes)
2. harness (sometimes good second hand deals around).
3. belay device and locking carabiner
4. slings and quickdraws

climb at City Rock and hook up with guys going sport climbing outdoors. give it a year or so to learn the ropes properly before you venture into trad - unless you find a trad-guru willing to disciple you from the word go.

oh, and the saying "safety third" - thats BS :thumright

Post by sheffmonster » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:38 pm

Awesome! Thanks guys! Appreciate the advice, guess i'll see you around the climbing gym.

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:44 pm

When buying your gear the best order is actually;

1. Climbing Shoes - borrow harness at this point
2. Harness
3. Belay Device and locking biner
4. HELMET (Sport climbers should be using these too!)

Generally if you are climbing with established climbers they will have a rope and quickdraws. Quickdraws without a rope are virtually useless so it is debatable as to what to get next.

5. Rope (no use without a partner - otherwise stick to your established partner who has rope and draws)
6. Quickdraws and cleaning slings (buy something sensible like a PAS or a Petzl Dual connect adjust - not 2 60 cm slings...)

As mentioned thereafter do a bit of Sport Lead climbing before considering leading Trad so you get used to the general ropework and movement and then ideally learn Trad from a mentor or qualified person. The general understanding is that the price of failure/ getting something wrong in Sport is a lot less than that of Trad (there are many cases when this is not true though...)- but rather learn how to do everything the right way from good teachers.

You can learn all the wrong stuff from people at the gym or you can search out mentors and qualified instruction and learn how to take care of yourself and others - ultimately it is up to you. Choose wisely!
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...

Post by sheffmonster » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:37 pm

Thanks Smelly, I will be taking that line of advice for sure. Currently scouring the interwebs for all the best buys I can find.

And hi Fannie!

Post by Ockert » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:39 am

Watch this
Become a wizard

((Buy second hand quick draws if possible.
Don't stop eating meat or start eating meat.
Always buy new shoes if you are paying more than R1000
(Block 11 also stocks climbing shoes that are well worth looking at.)
Fitting your heel is the most important part of fitting a climbing shoe..
Become the best belayer possible, that will help you climb with stronger climbers by belaying them and not just being a burden at the crag.
Climb outdoors and not at the gym.
And don't be fat.))

Happy sending

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:03 am

Interesting Viewpoints...

Of course it is a bit like cycling - you can save grams on lighter gear at great expense OR lose kilo's of your own bodyweight and save on food... :jocolor:

Second Hand Climbing Gear is another matter...

Rather don't

When it comes to Ropes, Camming Devices, possibly even some softgoods (slings etc.) and some biners and belay devices if you don't know the history or how to assess the gear then rather pass - anything that is safety critical should be carefully considered if you are thinking of buying 2nd hand...

Sure maybe Helmets and climbing shoes 2nd hand can be considered safe buys, but even harnesses and slings need some careful consideration...

Quickdraws and biners...hmmm

Think about it...your life...on someone's old gear- of uncertain history...
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...

Post by Stu » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:21 pm

I have a gri-gri for sale if you're looking to buy a belay device... it only took a tumble down Paarl Rocks, let me know...

Just kidding, welcome to the amazing world of climbing. Try and get out onto real rock it's loads more fun.