Quantcast
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:30 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:34 am 

Hi there

I am interested in starting climbing. Where is the best place to learn in the Joburg area, i know where the indoor gym is in Kya Sands, and also to get some gear? Is it possible to join a club or group where i could learn from those who know the sport?

Meg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:46 pm 

Meg,

I only recently moved back to Jhb but would suggest the following:
If you want to join a club then probably the Magalies or Jhb section of the MCSA would be your best bet. You can visit them at [url]http://www.mcsa.org.za/jhbcms/index.php[/url]
Otherwise you can try the Wits and UJ (former RAU) climb clubs (don't know if they have web page). Alternatively if you feel like travelling you can join Tuks Exploratio at University of Pta. They have a very active club and try to help out beginners as much as possible. You can view their training and assessment guide on their website at [url]www.exploratio.co.za[/url]

It is important to learn the correct(!) safety guidelines when you start. Thus I would not trust anyone you meet the local crag or gym to teach you the basics. Rather join a club and get the basics right the first time! A book like Tony Lourens's \"Complete Climbing Manual\" would also be well worth the investment.

As far as gear is concerned you can go to Drifters in Sandton City ([url]http://www.drifters.co.za/index.asp?pgid=58[/url]. They have a wide range of gear, but prices are a bit steep. Gravity Gear in Pta is a very nice shop located within the Arcadia shopping mall ([url]www.gravitytraining.co.za[/url]) and they have very reasonable prices. If you feel like mail order I would suggest Mountain Mail Order ([url]www.mountainmailorder.co.za[/url]). They certainly have some of the best prices around, but you would need to preferably fit gear like shoes and harness so that you don’t order the wrong size.

Hope this helps...[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:50 pm 

Hi There

There is indeed a climbing club at the University of Johannesburg (UJ) and for more information you can contact Henk on 0824192116.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Gunter