Quantcast
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:22 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:37 pm 

Hi guys,

I am currently in the UK, basically started here and I have been at it now for about year and a half-ish. I will be returning to SA in Dec but need to get some info. My whole family stays in JHB but I get the feeling the climbing scene is a little small there, basically have to drive to hell and back to get to some rock. Most of my experience lies in climbing gyms at the moment; afterall since the UK doesn't have the weather they have some of the best indoor spots around with good grading. But I have done about 20 odd routes in Stroebies and a few routes in Wales here...

I do however fancy the idea of moving to Cape Town, if not for anything else but the adventure scene that seems to be bigger. Of course climbing's first and I get the feeling there are a few more gyms and crags....although how big is the actualy scene? Other reasons for choosing CT is the kitesurfing and river rafting...

I'd appreciate some oppinions...

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:05 pm 

There are hundreds of routes, awesome routes!!!, of all grades, single pitch to four and five pitches in the Magaliesberg. Its is only an hour to an hour and a half away from Jhb. Just get yr head wrapped around trad climbing and come along and join the MCSA. You will be able to climb as much as you can every weekend for a year, even 2 years, without climbing the same rout twice...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:53 pm 

I hear you....but I just feel JHB doesn't offer enough. A few climbs on the weekend just isn't enough for me. At the moment I do Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and then some weekends go outside...in my work line I need to get rid of my stress in some way :evil: and the wall offers that to me :twisted:

I know JHB has a few good spots; but that's once you stopped worrying about your car being parked a few K's away and as I said before you have to drive far to get to rock...I like climbing...no wait I'm addicted to it, but I won't even drive an hour every weekend for a hot girl mate lol
Think the closest Climb gym from where I stay in JHB is like 2 hours away; and I just feel I need indoor as well - can push yourself more...

But thanks for your input!

Post subject: Climbing scenes
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:35 pm 

Judging by the comments on this forum there are a bunch of OLD WOMEN climbing in CT! :twisted: From what I hear there are also some really hot girls too!
:P
Seriously though it sounds like you want to find a place where you have easy access to a climbing gym & certainly there is no dispute that CT has that (you may still find that unless you live close to it you have to drive for a while anyway). Besides that CT has excellent rock around every corner & you only have to find some like minded climbers & I am sure you can climb to your hearts content.

Fanta has a point though: Rock climbing is a year round sport in Joburg (Don't tell the Internationals) & the weather seldom interferes. As for CT, there is a little rain (which you will be accustomed to if you have spent time in the UK). So if your goal is to continue climbing seasonally & in the same vein as you currently do...CT is your place...just don't tell everyone in the world about the highveld climate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:13 pm 

Well I'm not to worried about the whole \"fitting in\" thing as I have been in the sport a while I know climbers are pretty cool people usually; I mean look at me 8) (JOKE)
And the odds are looking good that a very good climbing friend might come down with me so I'll have someone to hold me rope (just thought...that can sound dodgy!), but the bigger the scene is really the better!
Besides on days that its raining I will either be in the white water, kite surfing or just do some indoor climbing.
Which brings me to the next point in a way, does anyone know if CT indoor walls are ok? I've only visited one; it was in a mall nice high featured rock, BUT no lead climbing???? and they had static ropes, which ain't good for overhangs AND they said the hardly ever change routes...JOY :evil:

I mean over here we have well featured indoor gyms lead walls of 15-20M and you can climb anything from 4+ to 8b.

I'm looking forward to Silvermine and a few other places I've heard of and in the winter I suppose there is place for a little ice climbing? If not, Although it doesn't beat the ALPS :P

Anyway, cheers for your input I am already feeling more confident about the whole CT thing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:35 pm 

Why not just do us all a favour and stay in the UK. Things sound much better there...\"featured indoor gyms lead walls of 15-20M\" & the \"Alps\".

By the way the Eastern Cape has nothing to offer. There are no featured indoor gyms lead walls of 15-20M, no ice, no Alps, no white water rafting, no kite surfing. In fact its all shite here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:31 pm 

Where in the UK are you Zook? I'm based in london and have a car if you want to get outdoors now that the weather looks to be getting better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:44 pm 

Quote:
Why not just do us all a favour and stay in the UK. Things sound much better there...\"featured indoor gyms lead walls of 15-20M\" & the \"Alps\".

By the way the Eastern Cape has nothing to offer. There are no featured indoor gyms lead walls of 15-20M, no ice, no Alps, no white water rafting, no kite surfing. In fact its all shite here.

Damn man, who chucked all your toys out the cot??? To by honest I'm stangely confused between if you are serious or sarcastic! For one I was talking about Western Cape, and there are allot of adventure sports about (unless your blind)
If your one of these \"BOERE MAG\" oaks and I offended SA by letting you know what's going on in the rest of the world...sorry/grow up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:49 pm 

Quote:
Where in the UK are you Zook? I'm based in london and have a car if you want to get outdoors now that the weather looks to be getting better

Hey mate,

Think I am quite far out your way. I stay in Birmingham...and the other problem is I got a holiday coming up of about 2 months (practically the whole summer) which I will spend doing some climbing instruction at a summer camp here; can always do with some extra cash.
But drop me your email addy and I'll pop you an email, where about you climb? We go to the peak from time to time...
London, man...think the only decent wall you guys have there is \"The Castle\" hey?

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:24 pm 

Naa not offended. Maybe a little irritated. You sound like one of those fellows who comes back from the UK with a fake pom accent and thinks he is doing us a favour by letting us know, what's going on in the rest of the world and how backward SA is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:57 pm 

Nope I think SA's got enough of those :lol:

About the accent though, unfortunately I can't do allot even if I try, for one my home language is English anyway...for 2 if you know anything about the UK you'll realize how diverse accents are not to mention strong. And unfortunately I've been here for about 4 years now so some sort of accent is bound to have stuck on me, I'll make a point just for you not to open my pie hole around you...

And I'm not trying to convince you of anything...the UK is allot better and advanced with a hell of allot of things - reason (IT'S A FIRST WORLD COUNTRY) no other...And if you have spent any time in any European country for that matter you will realize how much that comment you just made annoys \"people like me\". Stop getting irritated! There are certain things you have to accept, like their transport system is allot better, financial infrastructure is allot better, technology is allot better (Are you on 10MB Broadband yet? - I think not!), just like the people here have to accept our weather is allot better...every country has its pro's and Con's...

I appreciate what your saying with regards to allot of guys gets back thinking they are the dog's b---s after spending a year in the UK, BUT do me a favour and don't stereotype...You don't know JACK about me, how the hell can you throw a comment like that in here!!??

Lets hope the rest of the SA climbing scene isn't as judgemental as you at first glance...Shoot me for having some ambition in life!

Now can you PLEASE stick to the forum, if you have another \"issue\" could you please take it up with me in a private message!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:29 pm 

Oh my god! :shock: Alien invasion!! Darth Vader has landed!
PS Im sure you'll find all you're looking for in the SA scene Zook. I live in CT and we have a gym with lead walls*, not as big or as cool as the Castle in London but not half bad either, also loads of sport, trad and a gazillion boulders all within the city limits, hard to fault it really.....apart from only 384kb i-net that is :wink:
* http://www.cityrock.co.za

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:20 am 

oops....My last comment seems to have struck a chord. My appologies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:45 am 

I can walk from my house and go bouldering on a million boulders, go trad climbing, go sport climbing, go for a swim or surf and have a beer on my way home!
Cape Town rules!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:47 am 

Hey Zook, dude, S.A. is not as backward as you think :evil: . After spending some time in various European countries, I can safely say that a hell of a lot is backward on the mainland and on that Isle you're on. :wink:

Anyway, CT is really cool, it has plenty to offer when it comes to outdoor/adventure sports, stunning views and some fantastic women :D
Unfortunately I'm stuck in JHB but it's not all bad. The money is good and I get away as much as 2 to 3 weekends a month(It's cool to make the whole thing an adventure and not just cruise for the day). There is so much climbing around us and not that far 3-4 hrs drive MAX. (So if you take a weekend its bomber!) Waterval Boven, Mount Everest, Swinburne, Wellingtons Dome(Blinkkop), Choss Pile, Bronkies and of course the Magaliesberg(there is more too) :idea:

Apart from the climbing, we also mission on kayaking (white water play boating) and hiking trips, paragliding and skydiving days. As for kite surfing, well that’s a bummer. I have considered shooting down to Sterkfontein Dam and checking it out but that will just be flat water. :(
Don't scratch JHB off the list, it has so much to offer, the only reason I'm considering of moving is because the loveliest woman I know is there :twisted: !

Weigh up your options, priorities, think about employment, family and take it from there!

Good luck bru! Hope to see you on the rock sometime :)

Grigri, a couple of years back there was a rumor that City Rock was thinking of opening a gym up here in Jozi, know what happened to that ? Coz we really need a proper gym up here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:03 am 

Hey African dude, I have moved to Noordhoek which is too far from the Gym to bother going (but right in the middle of all the outdoor bouldering Heh heh! :P , should keep me busy at least until winter sets in) so I dont know anything about them opening up there. Perhaps e-mail them direct, heck if they havent thought of it maybe you could suggest a business partnership? :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:26 am 

Quote:
oops....My last comment seems to have struck a chord. My apologies.

Apology accepted 8)

Quote:
I live in CT and we have a gym with lead walls*, not as big or as cool as the Castle in London but not half bad either, also loads of sport, trad and a gazillion boulders all within the city limits, hard to fault it really.....apart from only 384kb i-net that is

Thanks man, its good to know about the boulders - I do like to do a fair bit of bouldering to keep finger strength up and I though CT only had lines, but this sure is a nice surprise; to hear there are boulders. About the internet though, suppose I'll have to live with that for the time being :) besides it will develop - suppose only reason it annoys me so much is cause it will slow down business...Once again cheers for that!

Quote:
I can walk from my house and go bouldering on a million boulders, go trad climbing, go sport climbing, go for a swim or surf and have a beer on my way home!
Cape Town rules!

Sounds like your leading THE LIFE man, I like the sound of that...

Quote:
Hey Zook, dude, S.A. is not as backward as you think Evil or Very Mad . After spending some time in various European countries, I can safely say that a hell of a lot is backward on the mainland and on that Isle you're on.

Pouring salt into an open wound hey :lol: hahhaahah
Mate, I wasn't for one second knocking SA, its a great country, but like I say every place has its pros and cons. Suppose everyone's opinion will be different anyway; imagine how exciting it would have been if all our opinions were the same. Personally I'd rather cope with rain pi$$ing down constantly and arrogant people than having a gun stuck to me head with some prick who think he can take anything that I've worked my ass of for...Although CT seems to be better on this factor!

What you said with regards to JHB, I agree there are allot of adventure; more to the point I think is... in CT I can move to a location...be close to my adventure world and close to work, where as in JHB it's mostly one or the other...and like I said above getting away for weekends are cool but at this point in my life I definitely want to climb in the week as well.

Quote:
Grigri, a couple of years back there was a rumour that City Rock was thinking of opening a gym up here in Jozi, know what happened to that ? Coz we really need a proper gym up here!

This is probably one of my reasons...lol - I'll be honest with you without giving to much away. Am am quite seriously considering starting up a Rock centre (somewhere - although I am desperate to stay in CT, JHB will be the perfect location due to the lack of walls) But I plan to expand a bit beyond just a simple rock centre so it will probably take me a good 2-4 years to set up once I'm back, so apart of me are asking these questions to check out my options...(And please no lectures on how every Tom Dick and Harry wants to open a business when they get back from the UK - I have put allot of time and effort into this project)
Yet for now, Its all just cause I can't get this adventure thing out my veins 8) And yes I know you need years of Experience and bla bla bla, BUT if I don't try I'll never know, besides either way (if it succeeds, or fails horribly) its not your problem...It's mine

Thanks for all your comments, Seems like my decision to come to cape town will be a wise one :lol: :D

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:43 am 

zook wrote:
And I'm not trying to convince you of anything...the UK is allot better and advanced with a hell of allot of things - reason (IT'S A FIRST WORLD COUNTRY) no other...And if you have spent any time in any European country for that matter you will realize how much that comment you just made annoys "people like me". Stop getting irritated!

Shoot me for having some ambition in life!

Idiot.

Stay in the UK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:48 am 

Quote:
Personally I'd rather cope with rain pi$$ing down constantly and arrogant people than having a gun stuck to me head with some prick who think he can take anything that I've worked my ass of for...Although CT seems to be better on this factor!
Bwahahahahahaha! :lol: You should keep up with the local news bru.

Just in the last week CT has seen some serious stuff go down!

:shock:

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_1919063,00.html
&
http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_1917768,00.html
&
http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_1916558,00.html

But then again, it takes an african to live in Africa and I am sure you have the right stuff. 8)

It'll be cool to have someone in JHB that would be serious about a gym! Good luck when you get all that \"adventure thing out my veins \", I never will :wink:

Drop us a line if you ever need any local info!
& if you can try source me a copy of Stone Monkey: Johnny Dawes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:21 pm 

Quote:
Idiot.

Stay in the UK

haha, dude I'm not even going to give you the satisfaction of a proper reply...but thanks for reminding me how narrow-minded SOME people can be. You should live a little and stop being so patriotic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:07 pm 

zook wrote:
And I'm not trying to convince you of anything...the UK is allot better and advanced with a hell of allot of things - reason (IT'S A FIRST WORLD COUNTRY) no other...And if you have spent any time in any European country for that matter you will realize how much that comment you just made annoys \"people like me\". Stop getting irritated!

Shoot me for having some ambition in life!

What a f...... w@N#£r... have to agree with Dom. stay in the UK. The apology was...not even sarcastic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:12 pm 

Look mate I am not on here to pick a fight! BUT if you guys insist....Can you at least back up what you are saying with some brains? Prove me wrong and I promise you I will take all that I said back...
You guys are so up your own *sses!!! What do you want to hear? SA is the best country in the world...nothing needs improving? Its probably because of people like you the country is still stuck where it is - Cause EVERYTHING is fine right?
Besides, if I \"hated\" SA so much why will I be coming back?
Again I will say...I didn't say the place is flawless (no country is!) all the things I mentioned that is better here IS...be my guest, prove me wrong! I'm sure as hell not gonna try convince you the UK has better weather or landscapes or climbing for that matter, cause it doesn't! Indoor walls here might be more advance, why? WEATHER!!! Or is that too much for you guys to handle to?
- You can probably start by telling me how much time you've spent in England or even Europe?

So I beg you, instead of sitting there like two Oagars throw abuse on a Forum why don't you back up your point with some brains...
Hell...why don't you open a Forum on it instead of completely bouncing off topic on my post!!!! If you want to start some weird political battle you are on the wrong Forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:01 am 

Quote:
Its probably because of people like you the country is still stuck where it is - Cause EVERYTHING is fine right?

Frankly I see that as a blatant insult, while we are here making a difference to the country you are sitting your elevated @ss in a different country. This country is what it is today because of positive thinking and hard work. Consider the fact that it could have been a Mozambique or a Zimbabwe. Truly you have no understanding of South Africa, perhaps you should just stay where you are. There is still much work to be done and we don't need the negativity.

With that said, I will not take any interest in this thread anymore as you have driven it close to a political debate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:14 pm 

Ah, the usual trash talk going down...

Zook, the more South Africans coming back to SA bringing lots of lovely UK dosh the betta. Will be good to have you here. Especially if you're bringing some adventurous entrepreneurial values with you!

There are + and - points for both cities:

CT has the more seasonal climbing pattern, but more accesibility, laid back vibe, ocean views etc.

I stay a Josi girl cos Joburg has its own special magic and is on the rise these days. Super friendly people, though thats a general across the climbing scene in SA. I have heard that (non-climbing) capetonian cliques can be a bit hard to crack into, though I haven't spent enough time there to say for sure.

The money is up here - that gym of yours is also badly needed! Plenty of climbers, most of whom are not as stuck up as many of the regular posters on this forum!

Sometimes the travel times get longer, but then if you have your buddies in the back and the South African landscape to drive through, who the hell cares?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:34 pm 

Mega,

Thanks for you reply, we need more people like yourself on this Forum!

The money in CT doesn't look that bad although I have heard its expensive to live there...
Hell I suppose I'll just have to go down there and see what is looks like, I was in CT when I was like 8 didn't impress me much (it was a family trip obviously) But I went there last summer; well your winter and the palce just took my breath away! And I didn't even get a chance to get outside, only climbing I saw was this:
But like I said...no lead climbing :(

Anyway Mega I think you have a valid point if there is a place that needs a proper climbing Gym then its JHB, But by the time I've got everything inplace someone would have probably jumped infront of me; hey as long as we get to climb who cares who opens it hey? But I am looking forward to loosing some finger prints in CT :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:45 pm 

\"SA is the best country in the world...nothing needs improving? Its probably because of people like you the country is still stuck where it is - Cause EVERYTHING is fine right?\" .....Zook do you realy think you have any solutuions to offer in a country like SA. You are not even in SA. You have not lived here for 4 years. Get your own head out of your ass.

Did I say SA did not have issues?
But do we in SA, really need have to our noses rubbed in it, by a tosser who thinks he knows it all, just because he spent a few years in the UK. Get over your self...we all know you are a man of the world...been to Europe & the UK. Please get over it before you hit SA. Working in the UK & returning to reality in SA is old news...we have all seen it more than once. High lighting issues in SA, is just an opertunity you create for your self, to highlight your overseas travel & make out that you are better than the rest of us. Get over it!

\"- You can probably start by telling me how much time you've spent in England or even Europe?\" Zook this is an important question for you, because you are dying to tell us all the places you have been to.... would we be impressed? Thats what 4 years abroad boils down to, cash, place name dropping and unshared-soon-forgotten memories. Most folks in SA are already tired of travel news & memories....its just the cash that is intresting....though even that is not worth what it was 4 years ago.

\"Am am quite seriously considering starting up a Rock centre\"... jippy another one... this is really going to unstick SA. This is what we all need. This will feed the millions. \"I have put allot of time and effort into this project\"... hope you put allot of time and effort into a strong look at population demographics. Where is the Average South African on the hierarchy of needs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:07 pm 

Marshall,

Can you please drop this as I didn't bring it up in the first place (you started with negative comments) I think its pretty clear the everyone on here we don't get get on, so I suggest you stay out of my way and I'll stay out of yours.
Another thing you might want to consider is if you type Rock climbing into google and do a SA search this site is 2de from the top. Which means it must get a good few hits. This topic is at the top at the moment (for no other reason than all the abuse that's been going on in it) which also means people are most likely to click on this first...Now if I am a new climber checking out the field and I see all the negative comment people get, do you really think I'll still be interested, do you have any idea how much work you cause the Moderators of this site...
In light of that if you don't have anything to say on the TOPIC then rather keep your comments to yourself...

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:55 pm 

oops....My last comment seems to have struck another chord. My appologies. Could not keep myself from stiring the pot.

Its called freedom of speech....but they must have that in Europe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:46 pm 

Listen buddy...how old are you? 5...
What part of this don't you understand???? Do I look like I give a monkeys how much freedom of speech you have? lol You can talk as much as you please if you can actually manage to stick to the topic and keep your verbal abuse to yourself, looking back on all your other threads, it actually explains allot about your character :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:05 am 

Zook...I've stopped...but it has been fun.