Quantcast
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:50 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Newbie in CT
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:59 am 

Hey Guys

I moved into Cape Town a couple months back, and am looking to get into climbing. I messed around in PMB (hometown) a couple times at the bouldering wall at the varsity with a mate, had a blast but never got into it by joining any clubs or meeting other climbers.

Ive heard in passing about meetings at UCT on tues. Is this still happening, and is it a bit of a \"clicky\" group, or are beginners welcome :D

Also, Ive heard mention of \"cityrock\", and I checked out their website. So do you guys recommend going and doing one of the intro courses?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:23 pm 

Hi sixxer, welcome to Cae Town,
Every first Tuesday of the month at the MCSA (97 Hatfield Street CT) we have a Climbers evening which Christine Jongens organises. Come along tomorrow 2nd October from 7:30nwards and meet everyone.
Regards,
Mike Scott

Post subject: Newbie in Cape Town
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:16 pm 

Hey there Sixxer!

I moved down to Cape Town from Hillcrest in Natal about 5 years ago. It can feel like a cliquey sort of place but the climbers are all very friendly.
You are welcome to come for a climb with me sometime (unfortunately I work strange hours so during the week tends to be best).
I climb mostly moderate trad but am not averse to a little sport climbing every now and then. If you are interested then sent me an e-mail. My address is mavisderder@yahoo.co.uk

Kind regards,
David Mercer

Post subject: Re: Newbie in CT
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:11 pm 

Heya

I've started climbing about a month back. Been spending most of my time indoors currently training. If you wanna do some indoor bouldering I can recommend CityRock. They have a pretty big bouldering section with some big tracking routes. They also have various routes for beginners and experienced climbers(Think their lowest route is a grade 8[is about the equivalent of a ladder]). They also have some training programs if you wanna learn how to belay, lead climb or whatever.

Just from watching this thread it seems there is a whole bunch looking for climbing partners(including myself). Maybe somebody should start a thread :P.

Post subject: Get going
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:10 am 

I actually want to fast track my climbing so that I can catch up to my girl friends level who also started about a month ago at city rock. What would the best way be. Just spend everynight there?