Quantcast
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:24 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:54 am 

Hi
I have searched for posts regarding my question but alot of these posts are outdated.

Could you please put a list down of climbing gyms in the East rand or Pta side.
I am brand new to the scene and would like to get into it but through a gym first.

I see that the Wonderwall is in Kaya Sands and just would like to know if there is any thats closer to me.

Thanks for the help much appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:29 am 

Acid, there are nothing in the east at the moment. I however am building the mother of all bouldering walls at my house(in the east). An arch with about 18m of climbing and a max height of 6m. Will be perfect for strength training. It is quite an expensive venture though and still need half of the material. Should be done early next year. Any eager beavers in the east wanting to contribute in any way might just get a remote to my gate... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:45 am 

Thats sounds great

Where would the closest Indoor climbing be then from the East Side?

Will it be Kaya Sands or the one in Pta East or is there one closer?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:39 am 

Hi,

Ive also just started climbing and im from the East Rand (Benoni, Dont Laugh). I have been to wonderwall twice and last night (Wednesday) it was a two hour return trip because of the traffic. Fact is it will always be like that during the week. dont mind the drive on the weekends but i fear that i will get fed up with the "great trek", Visa renewals and jet lag. I really enjoy climbing and there has got to be a closer option to people here in the east? Anyone know of a place?

Andrew.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:23 pm 

Andrew,

As per my post " old grips and walls " im on the hunt and when im finished the project its open to all in the area ,
After driving the trip to Wonderwall for a while i got tired of the traffic and for me from jet park after work its a 3+ hour round trip in the evenings ,

So when im done edenvale is going to have a awsome boulder cave , 5m wide and 3m high 3sided. its going to help me a huge amount. hopefully some others too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:54 am 

Hi Snowflake

I have a number of kids at school looking for walls to start school teams in the East Rand. Would you be interested in offering your wall and help to put together an East Rand team to compete in the GSCL league?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:20 pm 

Snowflake,

Awesome can wait, will be checing your thread for updates.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:49 pm 

Asked my neighbor if he is ok with the climbing wall I want to put up. Imagine my surprise when he did'nt think its a good idea :o anyway I guess if his dog can keep me awake at night then he can live in the shadow of my wall! :lol: I'm just waiting for the rain to stop before I start building and hope to have it done by late next month. I Think it's great for the youngstars to climb and would'nt mind them training there. Will update