Quantcast
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:39 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: To old for This??
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:44 am 

Good Day ppl,

Just a question for all the climbers out there? Would it be possible to start climbing ... going throught all the requirements even after the age of 32.

I would really like to do a couple of hectic climbs. but mot sure if 32 is to old for doing these things?

What would it cost to do all the courses ... ect. to enable me to climb as well as an estimate on equipment cost.

Thanks in Advance

Viper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:53 am 

Unless you're talking about grade 32, you'll be fine :) If you put the time in you could do almost anything and there certainly are easier climbs if one is not feeling hardcore.
Check the links page on this site, Training & Instruction to find yourself a trainer/guide, also check out the Climbing Gyms and lastly give the Mountain Club of South Africa a call to find out what they can offer you.
Enjoy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:06 pm 
Don't worry mate 90% of the MCSA are over 35. You'll probably feel very youthful considering the average age there (beard optional).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:06 pm 
Don't worry mate 90% of the MCSA are over 35. You'll probably feel very youthful considering the average age there (beard optional).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:27 pm 
Hey, I turn 35 on Wednesday and I'm pretty sure that this will be my best year ever!

It all comes down to psyche - if you want it enough and are prepared to make the sacrifices, then you'll do hard climbs.

But don't kid yourself, the top climbers don't get up hard routes/boulder problems by sitting around talking about climbing...

Todd Skinner once said that you could start climbing at 30 and at 40 you could open the hardest route around. I think that he's right, provided that you are prepared to put the work in (and are suitably genetically gifted).

One last thought - we tend to think of grade 30 as being pretty hard. But in reality it isn't very hard at all.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:49 pm 
G u y wrote:
Hey, I turn 35 on Wednesday and I'm pretty sure that this will be my best year ever!

Yes, but what about the years after that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:14 pm 
No worries even then, I officially became an Ou-Ballie last year by turning 40 and am enjoying the sport more than ever. Hell Iker Pou is older than me and he climbs 9a. Go for it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:19 pm 
I heard of this guy in Europe who started climbing at 48, Before his 55th birthday he had cracked the 8a barrier and now climbs7c+/8a every weekend. Its all in your head really, how badly do you want to climb?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:49 pm 

Well, as far as mountaineering goes many of the great high-altitude mountaineers summited Everest after their 30'th birthday (they did however start their careers earlier). Messner solo'd Everst at 36, Doug Scott completed his 7 summits after his 50'th birthday.

I think all of this age stuff is a bit of a side-line - climbing is primarily not about competition but about what you get out of it personally. For some testosterone driven win-at-all-cost people (probably like 'Guest' above) it will take a few years to mature and to learn the lesson, the rest of us climb because we like the personal challenge, enjoy experiencing the beauty of mountains first hand and know that friends you make on mountains are true (whatever the age difference, affiliation the MCSA or the length of their beard).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:14 pm 
He is talking about climbing not mountainering (walking up big mountains feeling like sh#t), and yes I agree with most of the people above, you will enjoy climbing however old you are. Hook up with a couple of guys from the MCSA and hit TM for a meet. Do Arrow Final and you'll be hooked!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:23 am 
The only thing about getting old is worrying about dislocating your back! (Huh? Im joking!) But Todd Skinner managed to do this twice whilst working their new route on Leaning Pillar!!!