Quantcast
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:48 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:38 pm 

Hello kind folks,

I will be visiting your wonderful country of south africa in the next two weeks. I plan on staying for a few weeks and was wondering about the rock climbing?

I am a climber from San Francisco, I am quite comfortable climbing multi-pitch routes traditional in Yosemite up to 5.11. I enjoy all types of climbing and have all the gear here at home.

I was wondering because I have to keep the luggage light, what places would you guys suggest for around the cape town area? I am fine with either trad or sport but what gear would you recommend bringing (if I had to bring a light rack?)

I noticed some guidebooks listed in the bookstore section of this site but was wondering if it easy to get my hands on one when I arrive, and which guidebook would you recommend me purchasing?

Thank you so much in advance and can't wait to do some climbing in your beautiful country.
rahul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:34 am 

Hi Churro

Round here we all think our local area is the best, so to avoid conflicting info you'd have to give us some more detail. Like were will you be flying into, would you like to see table mountain or the kruger park. Maybe your keen on the BIG HOLE. Then we can help with were to climb from there. And then you buy the guide for the area your going to, easy.

Cheers
Garvin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:21 pm 

Hi garvinj,

So Table Mountain looks like where I'll be ending up. Where is the BIG HOLE? If its close to Cape Town I might try checking it out. So if I get a guide, do I need to bring my rack with me, or will they have all the gear? Another thing is I like to lead, I think its more fun :). Will they belay me, or is the system setup so that I have to follow anyone I hire as a guide?

Any recommendations for moderate routes, or where to get topos for table mountain?

Thanks again for all your help.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:11 pm 

Hey Churro

Hopefully someone in Cape Town can take over from here. I live 1100km from there. So my Knowledge is limited. But I'll be there from the 9th to 11th if your still around then.

There are a number of guide books for the area. It would be best to find a partner first then buy a guide. There are also some on this site to help make up your mind about venues.

Come on Cape Town show how nice you guys can be.

Garvin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:37 pm 

Hi Churro, I just sent you a mail.