It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:02 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:16 pm 

Hi all.
I'm coming to south Africa soon for a ~2 month trip, most of which i plan to spend climbing.
I'm landing at Johannesburg Nov. 12th, and departing from Capetown mid Jan. (16th i think). I'm 27, coming with full sports gear, and my hardest climbs are currently around 6c (hopefully by the end the trip i'll be climbing harder, and possibly learn trad). I'd be happy with help on a few questions-

-I'm planning on starting the trip in Boven, probably spend around a month there (or until the rain starts). would it be a good idea to rent a car? and should it be easy enough to find partners?
-Around December or January, could it become cold enough to climb around Capetown? and would that be a good place to learn to climb trad?
-i haven't really got a plan regarding which route to take from Boven to Capetown, and i'm pretty flexible as far as how much time to spend where. could anyone recommend on which places are worth stopping at on the way? (for climbing or whatever cool\interesting things to see or do)

Thanks, looking forward to getting to your country already...
Sef [Assaf] from Jerusalem

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:32 am 

Howzit Sef, if you have cash renting a car is best because our public transport sucks! I would say you should drive from Boven to Rocklands for some bouldering (if you are interested in doing some), then down through Montague for some great sport, and on to cape town, which has climbing of all three disciplines. Table Mountain in CT has many beautiful trad lines. in terms of weather Rocklands and Montague might be a touch hot but Cape towns weather doesn't get that extreme. The place to pick up partners is in the camp ground I would think.
Hope this helps,
Awe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:34 am 

Thanks mate. sounds like a great route :) i hadn't heard of Montague before so thanks, it seems like a place i should definitely go through.
I think my main problem is i need a few more months to get to all these sites...
Sef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:31 am 

Hi Sef,

Feel free to send me PM when you're in Cape Town for some sport or trad :thumleft:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:28 am 

Sef,
If you are interested in bouldering in the Cape, drop me a line. I get out at least 3 times a week. Plus I am also still going to Rocklands even though it is off-season.
Best.
Rachel