Fresh Meat!

If you are a beginner climber and want to ask other climbers any questions - then this is the place to ask.
Human

Fresh Meat!

Post by Human » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:20 am

Hi

I'm completely new to this, my first climb was yesterday and I'm completely hooked on the challenge rock climbing and bouldering offers me.

I'm looking at getting some starter gear and I know that City Rock seems to be the most prevalent, if not only place to get gear in Cape Town.

Can anyone offer some tips and hints on getting good gear at good prices and share any advice on things like shoe size, belay devices and harnesses.

Thanks!

Jay
Failing is a step towards succeeding.

proze

Re: Fresh Meat!

Post by proze » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:31 pm

Sounds like you're in CT. Go to City Rock when Jacques is there and you will be sorted with good prices and good advice! :thumleft:

Human

Post by Human » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:42 pm

proze wrote:Sounds like you're in CT. Go to City Rock when Jacques is there and you will be sorted with good prices and good advice! :thumleft:
I am... :thumleft:
Thanks so much!
Pity City Rock don't have an online store.
Would've liked to browse and get budgets arranged.

I've mailed them for a started kit price range.
Harness, shoes, belay kit, chalk bag.
Then plasters, Dettol, medical tape.

alvaourr

Post by alvaourr » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:03 pm

Human wrote:Pity City Rock don't have an online store.
You're in luck, they do, kind of :P http://www.mountainmailorder.co.za is merging with CityRock and moved their shop into the CityRock building on the 14th of Jan.

So have a look on the Mountain Mail Order's site, it will give you good estimates to work with.

Oh and welcome.

Human

Post by Human » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:30 pm

alvaourr wrote:
Human wrote:Pity City Rock don't have an online store.
You're in luck, they do, kind of :P http://www.mountainmailorder.co.za is merging with CityRock and moved their shop into the CityRock building on the 14th of Jan.

So have a look on the Mountain Mail Order's site, it will give you good estimates to work with.

Oh and welcome.

Thanks so much for this!

Human

Post by Human » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:42 pm

Any tips in regards to shoe size?
Same size as normal wear?

Justin

Post by Justin » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:04 pm

Hi Jay,

You can also check out Camp and Climb

Shoes, get a pair of board last shoes for starting out (as opposed to slip last). They should be tight, but not uncomfortable.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Wes

Post by Wes » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:10 pm

Hi Jay,

We are climbing at City Rock tonight between 6 and 9 if you are keen to join us. Come along and check it out. There are plenty of willing and helpful staff to aid with gear advice.

Wes

Human

Post by Human » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:34 pm

Wes wrote:Hi Jay,

We are climbing at City Rock tonight between 6 and 9 if you are keen to join us. Come along and check it out. There are plenty of willing and helpful staff to aid with gear advice.

Wes
Thanks.
I will see if I can make it tonight but it isn't looking too good at this stage.
Work is going to take it out of me today.

Human

Post by Human » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:17 pm

Another question...

Buying 2nd hand goods? Is it worth it?

Shoes seems to be the priciest article to buy and after using the communal pair yesterday I vowed to buy my own pair ASAP with my harness but looking at this now I am going to have to fork out R2000 minimum to start off with.

Wes

Post by Wes » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:25 pm

I would suggest that you just get a pair of shoes and your own chalk bag. Together these will cost the best part of a grand. At least you can boulder with this.

Next Id recommend getting a harness (unless u can borrow a mates)

While starting off, use mates rope and draws and maybe harness.

After that an ATC/GriGri and then a rope and some draws.

Re second hand gear, just make sure it isnt to old and worn, but remember that this is your life and in the end a few extra bucks for brand new gear is definitely worth your life.

Chris F

Post by Chris F » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:41 pm

Human wrote: Shoes seems to be the priciest article to buy and after using the communal pair yesterday I vowed to buy my own pair ASAP
Many 2nd hand pairs will be just as minging as a communal pair. Unless someone has a new pair they bought in the wrong size it's worth buying new.

I think it's worth it to go into a shop and try some on as different makes suit different footshapes, and get some good advice from shop staff. Of all things that will make an impact on your climbing progress, a decent pair of boots that fit well (not too tight, but also not too loose) will be critical to your enjoyment.

Human

Post by Human » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:59 pm

Wes wrote:I would suggest that you just get a pair of shoes and your own chalk bag. Together these will cost the best part of a grand. At least you can boulder with this.

Next Id recommend getting a harness (unless u can borrow a mates)

While starting off, use mates rope and draws and maybe harness.

After that an ATC/GriGri and then a rope and some draws.

Re second hand gear, just make sure it isnt to old and worn, but remember that this is your life and in the end a few extra bucks for brand new gear is definitely worth your life.
Received an email from Mountain mail order with some gear suggestions.
They've merged with City Rock as of today. :thumright

Will be getting shoes and harness as I will be climbing most of the time.

The great thing with the group is that there is rope provided and set up for us n00bs and they have communal gear for us to use.

Human

Post by Human » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:05 pm

Chris F wrote:
Human wrote: Shoes seems to be the priciest article to buy and after using the communal pair yesterday I vowed to buy my own pair ASAP
Many 2nd hand pairs will be just as minging as a communal pair. Unless someone has a new pair they bought in the wrong size it's worth buying new.

I think it's worth it to go into a shop and try some on as different makes suit different footshapes, and get some good advice from shop staff. Of all things that will make an impact on your climbing progress, a decent pair of boots that fit well (not too tight, but also not too loose) will be critical to your enjoyment.
QFT!!!
They said that the Mad Dog Mugen's I wore was a 10 but my big toes begs to differ.
My friend kept on telling me "trust the shoes, trust the shoes" but I kept thinking "they're not mine, they're not mine". :lol:

Straightplumb

Post by Straightplumb » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:11 am

Hello Fresh

If you want to try the rock,let me know and I'll take you and whoever out, welcome to climbing.
Don't cut that which you can untie. Traddies are hard core, they can hang on their nuts.