TMNP Activity Permits for Climbing

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
User avatar
Overide
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:58 am
Real Name: Richard Tichauer

Re: TMNP Activity Permits for Climbing

Post by Overide » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:44 pm

Hi guys,

Maybe you can update me on whats happening, Is bouldering still excluded from a level 2 permit? We are wanting to go bouldering in Deer Park but I am struggling to find information on it. We initially wanted to go to Brazil Topside boulder (Silvermine Nature Reserve), but from the website it seems like we would have to fork out around R500 to get a wild card and the level 2 permit.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Richard Tichauer

richardm
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:12 am

Re: TMNP Activity Permits for Climbing

Post by richardm » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:58 am

Hi All
Is there any development/improvement on the Activity Permit situation? Specifically for Lakeside and Silvermine.
Is it still needed? (the SANParks site says yes..)
Is it being policed?
What about foreigners wanting to go climbing once?
Any news or info appreciated.

CTtradder
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:26 am
Real Name: Jan Smuts

Re: TMNP Activity Permits for Climbing

Post by CTtradder » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:36 pm

We went sport climbing at Lower Silvermine yesterday. While we were at the crag, some rangers came by and asked us for our activity permits. We didn't know we had to have a permit. They told us to go back to the gate and buy a climbing day permit for R25. We tried to argue with them, since we have all had green cards, but they were rather insistent. We didnt have enough money with us and were running out of time, so we decided to pack up and go home.

User avatar
GClamp
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:23 pm
Real Name: Grant L

Re: TMNP Activity Permits for Climbing

Post by GClamp » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:31 am

Amazing!

There has been atleast two muggings at Peers Cave in the last week but all TMNP can do is use their rangers to harass legitimate mountain users.

I am so sick of that organization.

Guardian
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:20 pm
Real Name: Andre Theron
Location: Stellenbosch
Contact:

Re: TMNP Activity Permits for Climbing

Post by Guardian » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:38 am

We were climbing at Silvermine main on Sunday and a ranger also made one of our group who came in with a Wildcard go back to the gate and pay for an activity permit. Except, they made her pay the full R70 extra.
Swimming in the dam=Normal, Mountain biking on an extensive path network=R70, sitting under cliff face where no one even knows about us except the muggers=R70.
Maybe if they maintained the paths (cut through a burnt tree or two?), or helped with bolts or kept us safe it wouldn't be so bitter...
There is nothing more beautiful than a well dressed alpine butterfly.

mokganjetsi
Posts: 1549
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:32 pm
Real Name: Willem Boshoff
Location: Cape Town

Re: TMNP Activity Permits for Climbing

Post by mokganjetsi » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:50 am

how can the community engage TMNP on this? Will the MCSA? We maintain both the routes and the paths; they do nothing. We should not be paying for this since our impact is no more than that of hikers. Oh, and we assist with rescues and do a regular clean-up of TM.

User avatar
Thermophage
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:03 am
Real Name: Cuan Lohrentz
Location: Cape Town

Re: TMNP Activity Permits for Climbing

Post by Thermophage » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:23 am

MCSA has engaged them forbloodyever about this and they don't give a sh1t...
So...get the Activity Permit unfortunately or be prepared to argue with rangers. At least you get free entry to teh park with the Activity Permit, so in that way it is the same as a Wild Card (except that it's only for TMNP).
And yes...i completely agree it's total BS as they do 4kkol for climbing maintenance, especially at the crags...but the bureaucracy there is not going to change anytime soon.
I'm actually surprised you CAN buy day permits for climbing...As far as I am aware this was never previously allowed. So even a complete beginner not knowing whether they will want to become a climber but tagging along would technically have needed a yearly activity permit.

User avatar
GClamp
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:23 pm
Real Name: Grant L

Re: TMNP Activity Permits for Climbing

Post by GClamp » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:56 am

Guardian wrote:We were climbing at Silvermine main on Sunday and a ranger also made one of our group who came in with a Wildcard go back to the gate and pay for an activity permit. Except, they made her pay the full R70 extra.
Swimming in the dam=Normal, Mountain biking on an extensive path network=R70, sitting under cliff face where no one even knows about us except the muggers=R70.
Maybe if they maintained the paths (cut through a burnt tree or two?), or helped with bolts or kept us safe it wouldn't be so bitter...
Was this on the way to main crag? or at main?

mokganjetsi
Posts: 1549
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:32 pm
Real Name: Willem Boshoff
Location: Cape Town

Re: TMNP Activity Permits for Climbing

Post by mokganjetsi » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:14 pm

I'll just tell them i'm not climbing; just watching / belaying. If they want to watch me watching they are welcome :thumright

NicoVenster
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 6:29 pm
Real Name: Nico Venter

Re: TMNP Activity Permits for Climbing

Post by NicoVenster » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:56 pm

For some reason I initially read TMNP as teenage mutant ninja permits.

User avatar
Thermophage
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:03 am
Real Name: Cuan Lohrentz
Location: Cape Town

Re: TMNP Activity Permits for Climbing

Post by Thermophage » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:26 pm

NicoVenster wrote:For some reason I initially read TMNP as teenage mutant ninja permits.
That's probably more accurate than the actual ...

Guardian
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:20 pm
Real Name: Andre Theron
Location: Stellenbosch
Contact:

Re: TMNP Activity Permits for Climbing

Post by Guardian » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:07 pm

GClamp wrote:
Guardian wrote:We were climbing at Silvermine main on Sunday and a ranger also made one of our group who came in with a Wildcard go back to the gate and pay for an activity permit. Except, they made her pay the full R70 extra.
Swimming in the dam=Normal, Mountain biking on an extensive path network=R70, sitting under cliff face where no one even knows about us except the muggers=R70.
Maybe if they maintained the paths (cut through a burnt tree or two?), or helped with bolts or kept us safe it wouldn't be so bitter...
Was this on the way to main crag? or at main?
It was actually at the top car park, the helmets gave it away.
There is nothing more beautiful than a well dressed alpine butterfly.

Jarrett
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:58 pm
Location: Cape Town

Re: TMNP Activity Permits for Climbing

Post by Jarrett » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:10 pm

I was also surprised to be told at the gate two weeks ago that we needed an activity permit. Activity permits have been in force since 2013, but this was the first time they have ever asked me to show one.

My understanding is that card-carrying MCSA members are exempt from requiring activity permits, or that was at least the MCSA's stance on the matter in 2015. This is based on a previous agreement with them, whether TMNP still honours it now or not.

User avatar
proze
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:57 am
Real Name: Paul P
Location: CT

Re: TMNP Activity Permits for Climbing

Post by proze » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:40 am

mokganjetsi wrote:I'll just tell them i'm not climbing; just watching / belaying. If they want to watch me watching they are welcome :thumright
This! They can watch us drink coffee and talk kak for as long as they like. :)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest