Changes to Access at De Hoek Oudtshoorn

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
Marshall1

Changes to Access at De Hoek Oudtshoorn

Post by Marshall1 »

Forewarning, there are some changes coming to access arrangements for the climbing in De Hoek. Please don't be alarmed, but rather ready yourself (warm up) to comply with some new requirements.

A few years ago there was a plan by Eden District Municipality to outsource/privatize the De Hoek resort & there were rumors that an international resort cooperation has going to take control of the resort. There was a fear that this would impact climbing at De Hoek. The changed situation now is vastly improved compared to this option.

The land around De Hoek campsite, which contains the crags, has been leased out (long term) to a new entity (local owners). They plan to use the land for farming, adventure tourism activities & are community spirited. They embrace climbing as one of the activities that will take place. There will be an indemnity process, it seems this will on-line or in person at their office. There may be access control & a climbing fee, I'm hoping that this will be not too onerous & reasonable. I'm not sure how soon these arrangements will be rolled out. Changes are always difficult, please be courteous & polite in dealing with the new entity & their representatives.

If any one wants more details please make contact marshall(at)qsagroupDOTc0DOTza or O8three68187onethree. Please share information.

BruceDaniel

Re: Changes to Access at De Hoek Oudtshoorn

Post by BruceDaniel »

I have also been in contact with the leaseholders having got a note on my car from them recently.

I proposed to put a message out on social media to communicate their requirement to be notified when climbers enter. Yesterday they gave me the go ahead to post the message which follows:

"OUDSHOORN CLIMBING ACCESS
Effective from March 2021 ,Western Cape Honeybush Tea Primary Co-Operative Ltd have secured a 20 year lease on land that includes most of the main climbing areas near De Hoek. The company is going to farm honeybush tea and they also intend to develop tourism infrastructure such as MTB trails ,hiking trails and a coffee shop. They want to establish a constructive relationship with the climbing community.

Going forward ,they have requested that climbers notify them when accessing the land by sending an email to info@wcht.co.za before any visit.
Information in the email to include (i) name of designated leader of group (ii) phone number of leader (iii) number of people in the group (iv) start date and end date of visit (v) car registration number (vi) if staying at De Hoek this should be noted as these people will access the land by walking from de hoek"
BruceDaniel

Re: Changes to Access at De Hoek Oudtshoorn

Post by BruceDaniel »

WCHT have updated their website to include a brief form to complete before climbing at the Oudshoorn crags:

https://wcht.co.za/rock-climbing/

Its the same information that they had previously requested via email but its much easier for everyone involved to use this format.