It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:55 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:17 am 

Hi guys,

I have a couple of people who are interested in going rock climbing, but more just as an outing and a tick on the "bucket-list". What's the nearest sports crag that will allow people without an activity permit to climb, also taking in consideration that there need to be easier climbs available.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:50 pm 

Lakeside pinnacle.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:17 pm 

In theory you need one for Lakeside as well - although it is doubtful that anyone would ask you (just park and walk up).

Related threads:
TMNP Activity Permits for Climbing
&
Rangers at Lakeside

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:29 am 

Yea I have thought about this as well as I am hoping to take a few kids climbing. However, TMNP, in all their wisdom, have absolutely nothing in place to facilitate this process. Are kids really expected to pay R250 (whatever it is for the year for the activity permit) for one outing? what about overseas guests? TMNP don't think about anything except making money.

I would suggest not going to Lower Silvermine. The last time I was there my friend had forgotten his mcsa card at home and even though he was only belaying me at the time these park officials said he was climbing and made a big scene. Very unpleasant. (I have an activity permit by the way).

Lakeside might be an option but I read on here a while back about some people getting turned away there as well. If you really don't want to get bothered maybe go to a more remote place like the underside, there are two easy climbs there (14 and 15).

Just by the way I have found TMNP rangers to be possibly the most rude and arrogant people I have ever come across, all they do is harass legitimate park users.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:50 am 

morally i have no problem with giving TMNP the middle finger about their ill-conceived, ill-managed and totally unfair system.

legally however, you will have to deal with any consequences if you do.

your choice i guess.

personally, i would go climb and not give a damn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:46 am 

mokganjetsi wrote:
morally i have no problem with giving TMNP the middle finger about their ill-conceived, ill-managed and totally unfair system.

legally however, you will have to deal with any consequences if you do.

your choice i guess.

personally, i would go climb and not give a damn.

My feelings exactly. :pirat:

At least until they start maintaining paths to crags and helping out with rebolting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:46 am 

Thanks for the reply guys. So I guess there's no "legal" way around activity permits in Cape Town. Lakeside Pinnacle seems to also have easier climbs.

By the sounds of your replies, I'm assuming the rangers have given a couple of grey hairs. I'm thinking maybe it be best to take a road trip then and go to Paarl or Kleinmond, I assume you can climb there without a permit?

Shot!

Last edited by ironclimb on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:47 am 

Does Higgovale Quarry require a permit?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:06 am 

Higgovale is part of TMNP so yes, you'd need a permit.

If you are at Paarl during the week, entry is free. On weekends it is around R30 per vehicle and R8 per person. Kleinmond is free and no permit required.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:17 am 

On the subject of official-DOM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrVoREMsHpI

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:18 pm 

If you pay to into Silvermine do you need an activity permit as well to climb at the crags?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:27 pm 

Garron wrote:
If you pay to into Silvermine do you need an activity permit as well to climb at the crags?

Apparently yes. If the grumpy guy is at the gate he might ask you what you're going to do.
If you have the activity permit you can enter Silvermine for free though. Give & take.

I have never seen a ranger checking for climbing permits at Silvermine though (hint hint)

PS: if alex honnold can climb TM without an activity permit; we can too. unless soloing is classified as hiking :thumright

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:04 pm 

The paying at the Silvermine gate, acting as a permit is a grey area and I really don't think the arrogant rangers would accept it. Watch out for lower silvermine because that is where I was harassed. They even came all the way down to the pumphouse to check.

If you want to avoid them then it is best to go to places which require a bit of a walk.

Just remember these ranger guys that walk around and harass people do not listen to reason. I had an incident where I was trying to paddle my ww kayak down a river, which did not belong to TMNP, although the land accessing it did. My entry and exit points were both on designated foot paths. I was stopped by two of these guys and harassed by them for about 20 minutes, after which I eventually turned around. No matter how much I tried to explain to them that I was doing nothing against their rules they wouldn't listen. When I went to go speak to the section manager she said they hadn't organised permits yet and she gave me a hand written permit to go paddle. When I came back I was shouted at by another another ranger in that same arrogant tone. However, I showed him the permit and then went for a paddle.
What I am trying to show from this story is that the guys on the ground have no connection with the people in the office. They simply try to throw their weight around even if you are doing nothing wrong.

But don't worry if you are a criminal you have nothing to fear from these guys you can just go about terrorising the mountain and then have your crimes denied by TMNP.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:19 pm 

Heavy days.

http://www.iol.co.za/capetimes/sanparks-ranger-stabbed-on-mountain-1.1590499#.UlfP9aB_5mM