It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:08 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:19 pm 

On Saturday morning Nix and I went to climb on Lions Head. At the boom at the bottom of the walk up we were accosted by a man in plain clothes who asked us for our climbing activity permits. He could see from the helmets and shoes strung on the back that we were going to climb. He said he was a parks ranger working, as he put it, "undercover". I tried to explain to him that we were trad climbers and that there was a difference between trad and sport and that as tradders we didn't need to have activity permits. He then became rather aggressive and said that he knew all the regulations and he was correct and that no climbing was allowed without the necessary permit that he couldn't allow us to proceed to proceed up the hill. I then said well OK we'll just hike. He then proceeded with a stern warning that there were a number of "rangers" up the mountain and if we were caught climbing we would be fined and then got onto his radio to inform the so-called other rangers to look out for us.
Inevitably we saw no " rangers" at all and climbed. We saw no other climbers up there and one wonders if other climbers had been turned away.
When we came down at about 4pm the 'ranger in mufti" -Officer Saville - was still there lounging in the shade chatting to his mates.
One would have thought, considering the recent incidents of muggings on the LH he and his side kicks could have been more usefully employed ranging instead of lounging. Puts a new meaning to the term "under cover' = lounging in the shade.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:17 pm 

No surprises there.

There seems to be a lack of communication between SANParks on three levels:
- Head Office
- Management
- Personnel on the ground (rangers)

For now all that can be done is: See this link http://www.climbing.co.za/2013/05/activ ... ment-89604
Print out the letter, keep it with you and don't be intimidated.

See also: TMNP Activity Permits for Climbing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:49 pm 

Yes, we had the letter but the officer Saville wasn't interested in looking at it as he reckoned he knew the regulation and if you rock climb you need an activity permit.
A few months back whilst going up to climb I noticed some legs sticking out from below a boulder. Closer investigation revealed a so-called ranger plus the German Shephard both lights out fast asleep and neither stirred as I scrambled past. What a joke!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:26 am 

Ringalatus wrote:
Yes, we had the letter but the officer Saville wasn't interested in looking at it...

a so-called ranger plus the German Shephard both lights out fast asleep and neither stirred as I scrambled past.

Sounds like an ignoranus.

A photo of the sleeping ranger would go a long way!