Red Hill Ranger Issues

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
Millejoh

Red Hill Ranger Issues

Post by Millejoh » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I went bouldering with some friends at Red Hill on Sunday afternoon. We were stopped by a two rangers in a bakkie who politely informed us that if we were to continue bouldering, they would confiscate our mats, fine us, and ban us from the park. The ranger claimed he just had a meeting with his supervisor last week, who told him that "No, there is no bouldering allowed in Red Hill".

Eventually he let us continue into the rocks, I think because he was sick of hearing us complain on a nice afternoon. His name was Roger, and actually he was a pretty decent guy...it seemed like he was just following orders and not trying to get in trouble with his boss.

But whats the deal? I thought this was all resolved? Is Red Hill officially open or not?

Thanks,
Johnny

Thermophage

Re: Red Hill Ranger Issues

Post by Thermophage » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:12 pm

Howzit Johnny,

Yep the Redhill "ban" was self-imposed by the climbing community and was never imposed by Cape Nature.
After we drafted an EMP for bouldering and submitted it to them we waited...and waited. After many many months not hearing back the self imposed ban was lifted.
Subsequently they have replied regarding the EMP, but to my knowledge they are waiting for this to be incorporated into the larger EMP encompassing other activities/etc.
So as far as we stand, bouldering is in the same book at trad climbign atm...no activity permit required and Redhill (excluding Easter Island unless you walk the LONG way round) is open.
Did you get the name of their supervisor by chance?

Cheers,
Cuan

wja

Re: Red Hill Ranger Issues

Post by wja » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:50 pm

Hey what is the deal with Redhill bouldering at the moment? Has anything changed since June 2015? Access still good? Crime?