Langberg Farm Climbing near Vrede/Memel/Newcastle in the Free State

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
Topher

Langberg Farm Climbing near Vrede/Memel/Newcastle in the Free State

Post by Topher » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:54 am

Hey All

I noticed an area called Langberg in an old climbing guide book, Crags of Gauteng or something along those lines, by Rory Lowther and Andrew Porter.

The area is on the ClimbZA wiki too but there isn't much info. All that is stated is that the farm is roughly 10km from Vrede in the Free State. The routes seem to have been bolted by a guy called Stephen Swanepoel in 1996. I imagine the rock is the 'soft' sandstone that is littered all over the show in that area. I was wondering if the place still exists and if anyone has been there recently. Is there any chance that the bolts are still safe?

Cheers
Chris

Zwanepoel

Re: Langberg Farm Climbing near Vrede/Memel/Newcastle in the Free State

Post by Zwanepoel » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:42 pm

Hi Chris

My brother bolted those routes back then. I'm not sure what bolts were used at the time. I think I have an old RD lying around, but it might take some time locating is. Unfortunately my brother has immigrated to Canada - pop him an email on: s.zwanepoel at gmail dot com. He might be able to answer some more questions

Pieter

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:54 am

Hi

As far as I can recall the routes are short and, as is often the case in the Free State, the bolts are necessary as the grips may fail unexpectadly resulting in you becoming detached from the face at an unexpected time.

I do recall that the rock ate your fingertips and that after a mornings climbing your finger tips where "not available" in terms of feeling for the rest of the day/ weekend...

Sadly not worth the mission there - I think the accomodation was nice. Swinburn is considerably better.
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...

Topher

Post by Topher » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:49 am

Zwanepoel wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:42 pm
Hi Chris

My brother bolted those routes back then. I'm not sure what bolts were used at the time. I think I have an old RD lying around, but it might take some time locating is. Unfortunately my brother has immigrated to Canada - pop him an email on: s.zwanepoel at gmail dot com. He might be able to answer some more questions

Pieter
Hi Pieter

Thanks for the details. I may send your brother an email. I am really just trying to figure out where the place is. The directions in the route guide and on the wiki are verbatim and don't make any sense when you actually drive the road (R34). According to the description the palce should be between Vrede and Memel but the coordinates on the wiki then take you to somewhere between Memel and Newcastle.

Thanks
Chris

Topher

Post by Topher » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:54 am

Old Smelly wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:54 am
Hi

As far as I can recall the routes are short and, as is often the case in the Free State, the bolts are necessary as the grips may fail unexpectadly resulting in you becoming detached from the face at an unexpected time.

I do recall that the rock ate your fingertips and that after a mornings climbing your finger tips where "not available" in terms of feeling for the rest of the day/ weekend...

Sadly not worth the mission there - I think the accomodation was nice. Swinburn is considerably better.
Hi there Old Smelly

I drive the road about twice a month so if i could stop over and climb a little it would make my trip way better. So even if the rock quality is not amazing I would still like to check it out as it's not out of my way. Do you know where about the accommodation is?

Thanks
Chris

emile

Post by emile » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:33 am

I believe this is what you're looking for
http://www.langbergbreakaway.co.za/directions.html