Quantcast
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:45 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Classroom, Newlands
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:56 pm 

How do you get to the Classroom boulder in Newlands Forest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:19 pm 

see the topo section for the Classroom on www.Cutloose.ca.tt

Last edited by Justin on Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Classroom Walk-in
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:34 pm 

From the Newlands fire station walk up the road turning left at the top.
After about 50m, (after a bridge) turn right up a path and follow this up the hill to a large dirt road (you come out at a fork in the road).
Continue up and you'll see some wooden steps up ahead, follow this steep path all the way (low branches on the way) till you come across the river on your right.
Continue over and walk for a few meters, you'll see the well hidden boulder down and to your right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:31 pm 

Thanks Scott. Justin, the topo page only show the problems. No walk in directions. Approx how long is the walk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:46 pm 

30-40 depending

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:38 am 

we didn't put up the walk-in intentionally because access is still a sensitive issue. rangers have been giving us some trouble from time to time. also the area is fragile an easily damaged. people have been going there and not brushing the holds and climbing on the slopers with dirty shoes- caking them in mud. it is the one area i discovered that i regret putting up a topo for most.

if/when you go there, please don't leave any litter for me to pick up, clean your shoes and brush the holds...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:50 pm 

Marijus,
I strongly agree with you that 'The Classroom' is definitely getting trashed! Was up there yesterday evening to show a buddy around and was very surprised to see how it has changed since i had last been more then a year ago.
Some of the holds are CAKED (like cement) with chalk (and some with mud?), how do these so-called climbers expect to do tricky 7b problems in those conditions?! BRUSH THE HOLDS!
Come on people, what the hell is going on? I think we as a community should police ourselves and speak up against this type of selfish behaviour! Maybe we need to EDUCATE people on correct ethics but surely you know what is acceptable!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:30 pm 

That's just the thing...we cannot expect some climbers to know the ethics of going out in areas . Some of them have to be taken by the hand :x and correctly told what not to do . I guess it is also to do with the access to the spot and maybe too some of these folks attitude towards nature in general .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:17 pm 

I am constantly amazed at how little respect many climbers have for their environment, apart from brushing holds, muddy shoes etc, most areas are littered with cigarette butts and inevitably the surrounding vegetation is trashed. We need to police our own climbing spots and hassle those that trash them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:45 pm 

Yeah, I also agree with you guys. The place is looking the worst its ever been like a lot of other bouldering/sport places. Whats puzzling though is that all the climbers I have ever climbed with never leave any trash around and more often than not take some home with them. How about you guys that spend so much time in the boulders?