Quantcast
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:51 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Drills and Stuff...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:15 pm 

Hey All!

I just want to find out if anyone can tell me what kind of drill (hilti or bosch) do you need for route bolting. If you can comment on wattage, weight of drill and price for a new one, that would be really be cool. Oja, and where could I get one?

Does Bosch even make a cordless drill strong enough for drilling into rock?
Or are Bosch and Hilti one company? :roll:

Happy huntin' ya'll

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:25 pm 

No comment on drills from me, but be sure to check out:
The Good Bolting Guide and Anchor Replacement Fund

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:31 pm 

Better yet... Don't bolt... Start climbing Trad :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:15 am 

Hilti and Bosch both make battery powered drills that can be used for bolting rock. The Hili modle commonly used is called the \"TE6\" I think the Bocsh one is called an \"Eliminator\"

They are about a 36v drill. You will need a hammer action and a SDS plus chuck. I am sure if you contact the dealers they will be able to give you more details. Look them up in the phone book.or look at the websites.

I guess they will be priced at about R5000.00 for the drill and a battery, and another R3000.00 for a spare battery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:55 am 

This is from an old post on the 03 May 2005
Guy wrote:
A few CT climbers have recently bought Kress drills from UPAT (they cost R6600 including a spare battery). I've used mine a few times and it is pretty impressive. The drill comes with a cord, so you can leave the battery in you pack.

New Hilti's are stupidly expensive.

The new Bosch is highly rated, but availability is a problem and they are more expensive than the Kress.

I don't know about other brands like Metabo...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:16 pm 

Thanx to Dave and Justin for the feedback.
I appreciate your answers since they are precise, and to the point.
I'll follow up on the info you gave me.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:27 pm 

No Problem.

I have reciently modyfied a Hilti TE5 (older model) to run off \"Gel\" batteries. It appears to be running well although I haven't taken it to rock yet.

Once I have test run it on rock I will let you know how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:29 pm 

I've just bought an 18v Matabo(on company acc, what a pleasure). SDS, with Li-lon batteries. These are suposed to have good shelf & adhoc use life. Comes with a spare bat at R3990. I drilled 9 holes with a battery in hard rock. Drill with battery weighs 3.2KG. Thats FRED light.

Hilti drills are the real deal, but their batteries don't last under rock climbing conditions. That is: used on best average once a month for 2 hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:25 pm 

I've used the Kress quite a bit now - and I'm really impressed. I get about 15 holes per battery in hard TMS (drilling 90mm x 10mm holes).

You can find out more about Kress on the www - look for the small electric division, because their main business is building excavators for open mines (things that size of a suburb).

Post subject: Bosch
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:31 pm 

I just got the Bosch 36v drill for R6000, that includes 2 batteries...
Haven't sunken anything with it though, so no comment on performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:37 pm 

I hope to get a drill someday soon as well. I've heard that a hand drill works just as well, so I'll be getting one of those. I read somewhere that it's better to use normal masonry bits for drilling rock as brick is MUCH harder than rock. (think about it - you'd be building your home from rock if it were stronger)

I am the original intergalactic champion. Fear me o<zero>dball!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:49 pm 

\"I read somewhere that it's better to use normal masonry bits for drilling rock as brick is MUCH harder than rock. (think about it - you'd be building your home from rock if it were stronger)\"

There may be exeptions, but general, this is not correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:15 pm 

Absolutely, o0dball - a hand drill is definitely the way to go. I've seen them used to great effect before. They're way more eco-friendly and they make a lot less noise. And they won't be costing you an arm and a leg either.
Sure, drilling takes a bit longer than when you're using a Bosch or a Hilti, but if you're not prepared to put a little effort into it you shouldn't really be bolting, hey?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:25 pm 

\"a hand drill is definitely the way to go. I've seen them used to great effect before.\" I've placed a few bolts using tap-&-turn hand systems. Its major effort. It does force a bolter to be selective which can be a good thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:25 am 

Report back on the 18v Matabo drill: I returned mine on warrenty. This is what I expect from Matabo. Batteries are stuffed. It has seen limited use. 50 holes max. I with draw any implied recomendation.

Post subject: Hilti rules
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:20 am 

I would love to see anybody drill into 'Boven rock with a hand drill! We would have saved thousands though if the bolters over the last 17 years were hand-bolting in stead of the trigger happy approach that sometimes take place...

Looking for a drill:

http://www.hilti.com/holcom/modules/prc ... OID=-22734

Wonder what the new Li-ion battery is like? Saving almost 1 kg in weight!

There is only one drill: TE6-A!

\"Trad the trad and bolt the rest!\" :?

013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:07 am 

Warren Harding, George Whitmore, and Wayne Merry are lashed to a hanging stance, 3000 feet up El Capitan. It's November. The days are cold and short, and afternoon shadows already streak up the wall beneath them. They gaze overhead, and despair: will they ever get off? Will it ever be over?

On this, their final push, the trio has been on the wall 11 days, twice as long as any American has ever spent on a rock climb. Below a pitched battle, every lead sieged. They've met obstacles no rock climber has ever seen, let alone mastered--wild pendulums, nailing expanding flakes, and the back-breaking task of hauling vast supplies up the cliff side. And now, only a 50-foot headwall bars them from the summit of the mightiest rock wall in the contiguous United States. But that headwall, that last 50 feet, is dead blank and overhanging. They'll have to retreat 350 feet to Camp 6 and a good ledge, and tackle the headwall in the morning.

There comes a point in every great climber's career when technique, or fitness, or even genius falls short, that moment when success depends on brute willpower. And just then, Warren Harding was marshaling his. Never mind the swollen hands, the mangled gear and frayed ropes; ignore the rats that gnawed through haul bags, the rain and sleet and chilling retreats or the running feud with rangers; and forget the private terrors and all the sleepless nights because finally, hanging in a web of tattered slings, Harding can nearly spit to the top. Light? He don't need no stinking light!

So Harding starts bolting. And in an epic no climber should ever forget, he hammers through the night, finally punches home the 28th and last bolt, and stumbles to the top just as dawn spills into the valley. The first ascent of The Nose, one of the greatest pure rock climbs in the world, is done. It is November 12, 1958.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:25 am 

I bet he wished he had a Hilti Drill!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:17 am 

If you dont even know what drill to use, how the #@ck are you gonna know how to place a bolt properly?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:29 pm 

slimjim wrote:
If you dont even know what drill to use, how the #@ck are you gonna know how to place a bolt properly?

Same way everyone else found out... Trial and Error :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:01 pm 

\"If you dont even know what drill to use, how the #@ck are you gonna know how to place a bolt properly?\" There are lots of options. Bolting is quite easy. Hardest part is affording the hardware & carrying the drill in.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:06 am 

Hey there guy, I got the complete bolting system for sale, not used - meaning brand spanking new. cordless sds drill 24 v, capable of drilling 20mm diameter holes like a machine, i purchased a spare battery and high speed charger, includes carry case, includes hilti re-500 bolting glue and 2 cartridges, blow gun for cleaning hole, all included...

Give me a shout and i will mail you a pic of everything in detail

Quentin
082 828 2040
quentin.strydom@barrowsonline.com