Quantcast
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:35 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: truitjieskraal
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:16 am 

We were climbing at Sanddrif on the weekend. Hoping to get into Truitjieskraal but were told at Kromrivier that it is still closed despite all the good rains we have had. At Dwarsrivier I was told that it could be closed for up to 2 years!!
Can anybody tell me what is happening. Is the climbing area badly affected or is it is just Cape Nature trying to keep us out of the area indefinitely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:47 am 

We were there on a shoot a few months ago. Basically the place is closed until the vegetation grows back ... which could be 2 years i suppose. From the road you can see the place is basically all beach sand at the moment, the fire burnt everything. I guess they just dont want people trampling all over the place while stuff is trying to grow back.

Apparently it was started by a baboon climbing an electricity pole catching alight somehow and falling to the ground on fire. In response they said that CNC went and shot a whole lot of the baboons in the nearby area which i think is a bit harsh ... they could have tried putting something up to prevent them climbing the poles instead.