Quantcast
It is currently Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:31 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Skoorsteenkop??
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:07 am 

Has anyone got any further news about access to skoorsteenkop?

Not sure if the gate has been removed or what the situation is but I would like to go back sometime...
Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:50 pm 

Unfortunately I don't have any info on this, but would be keen to find out whats potting if anyone knows?? The access problem started sometime last year, its been a while :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:42 pm 

Not sure what the plan of action is, but I drove up to have a look about a week ago. Nothing has changed. Gate still in place leaving no access to the mountain. :(

Maybe a nice pair of wire-cutters are in order? :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:12 pm 

Was there a while back and had to jump the gate.
A solution is a new path to the crag from somewhere else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:56 pm 

I think you can accept that those gates will, at least in the forseable future, become a permanent feature. Any solution will have to operate within this context and in the context that the local landowners exercised their legal rights in putting up these gates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:29 am 

This matter is being investigated. The reason we have not heard from those officially dealing with this access problem is that it is still unresolved, and an extremely complex situation involving an intricate and tangled web of bylaws.

From what I could gather (before my eyes glazed over!) the road access we were using was kept open to allow municipal workers access to the dirt service road running along the top of properties during construction of waterworks and only whilst the service road was under construction.

The road leading up the hill is a private road, not a public road, and the landowners are fully within their lawful rights to close this now that the dirt municipal service road on top (also not a public road) is operational. Any suggestions that the lock on the gate should be cut is unlawful and would result in a backlash you do not want to be in the way of! By law we as the public may use the municipal service road on foot but not with vehicles (the people living at the top are obviously exempt from this ruling).

While the investigation into the ramifications of the entaglement of bylaws continues, I suggest the only feasible and legal access to the crags would be to find another road that accesses the municipal dirt road, park there (in the tar road) and to walk along the dirt road to access the walk up path. There is a road above Hout Bay where public access to the mountain is allowed and legal, unfortunately I did not catch the name of this road during conversations with those checking into this matter. Alternatively park at the beginning of the dirt road near Constantia neck and hike in (both of these approaches will involve a long walk). Possibly the best is to check the Slingsby maps for an alternative, appropriate access point. Please do not hike accross private property in an attempt to access the top dirt road, find an officially recognised access point.

Post subject: Update: Skoorsteenkop
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:05 pm 

The MCSA has been working to try and figure out a way to resolve the access problems here. A huge thanks to David Davies for putting in some legwork on this too! Shot, Dave.

At this stage, the best way to access this crag is to forget about parking on the top dirt road, which has been fenced off. It is recommended that you park on the lower road parallel to it. There is a narrow walkway that runs up between the properties which you can take. You will need a key for this, which can be obtained from a Mrs Louw (who owns one of the properties abutting this). If you want to climb there, phone her on 021-7902543 to collect the key.

This fenced walkway is council land, but has been leased by a few landowners on condition they provide a key to those who wish to use it to access the mountains. I know this is not an ideal situation, but it stems from the crime problems that Hout Bay residents have to face (if you want to do anything about THAT problem, then vote for someone other than the w@nkers in govt. right now :)

Alternatively, if anyone finds a better route up that doesn't involve key conniptions, then let me know.

cheers
Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:25 am 

i called mrs. Louw to get the key. was told she passed away. key is MIA. now what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:04 pm 

A medium size bolt cutter costs about R200. Cut off the lock & replace it with your own...cut keys for your climbing mates. Tell anyone who asks that you have permission from Telcom, MTN, CNC, PnP(choose one) & that Mr van der ............, who drives a white bukkie, gave you the key.

Just kidding....don't really try this. It might work though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:32 pm 

Ok guys, here's the situation, and it's good news to climbers.

Dave has spoken with the residents who have access control over that gate since Mrs Louw called \"off belay\" a short while ago. The residents there are happy that Dave keeps a key, and installs a new lock. I've spoken with him, and he'll go and organise it, and let us know.

Thus, as soon as that's organised, if you want to go climb there, just contact Mountain Mail Order, and go and pick up the key from them as you pass through. Obviously, you'll be expected to return it after you're done climbing.

Dave and I are thinking of organising a climbing meet there soon, just for fun and as a headsup that the crag is now easily accessible again. We can go and crank, and then retire to Dunes for a sundowner beer or three afterwards. Will keep you posted here, and on Cape Rock News (subscribe to it, if you have not already).

cheers
Brent

Post subject: Re: Skoorsteenkop??
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:53 am 

Skoorsteenskop is a nice but somewhat forgotten sport crag in Hout Bay. There is now a publicly owned servitude path that cuts in between 2 of the houses so you can get access to the mountain and the Kop.

:arrow: Skoorsteenskop, Hout Bay Access Details