re-opening of Redhill?

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
Justin

Re: Redhill/Coppermine access update

Post by Justin » Fri May 27, 2011 9:54 am

A comment from Guy which I will repeat here:

Please, please, please stay away from Redhill until this is resolved. If the rangers catch people climbing there, not only will it piss them off, but it will also demonstrate that climbers are incapable of self governance – which means that the only possible solution is for them to police us.

The upside is that the opposite if also true. If they see that we are staying away, it will show them that we are taking this seriously and that we can abide by simple rules. This gives us huge power to negotiate a solution.

Please spread the word to your mates.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Spike

Re: Redhill/Coppermine access closure

Post by Spike » Fri May 27, 2011 11:49 am

Andy Davies wrote:Guys & gals.....
We can't really expect some old codger out in Milnerton to sort access out for a sport that he doesn't really understand in an area 50km away he has never visited.
Hey! Accurate assessment but leave me out of it :pirat: :lol:

Mattiz

Post by Mattiz » Fri May 27, 2011 2:23 pm

TMNP are a bunch of tyrannic twats. If they had left the origanal existing path instead of littering it with dead shrubs(which were more than likely pulled out by them), no alternate paths would have been 'made'. Pitty they weren't so concerned about errosion and enviromental impact when Mandela Park(Hout Bay informal settlement) and that informal settlement near Scarborough were formed. Prime land destroyed forever! The outdoors are there to be enjoyed so enjoyed they will be.

Streaky

Redhill closed for bouldering?

Post by Streaky » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:30 am

I see that according to his 8A scorecard, Paul Robinson sent some problems at Redhill this week http://www.8a.nu/?IncPage=http%3A//www. ... ewType%3D0.

From my understanding this area is closed - is that still the case? If so this is very irresponsible and someone needs to let him know that he is jeopardising our future access to this bouldering area.

marijus

Re: Redhill closed for bouldering?

Post by marijus » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:04 pm

it's stuff he climbed last trip, but didn't have the names of til we filled them in a few days ago. guess he didn't bother to change the dates.

he hasn't been to redhill this year yet.

Streaky

Post by Streaky » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:31 pm

Ok great to hear - thanks for clarifying!

Excited to see that there are some new test pieces as well.

wasatchgirl

Post by wasatchgirl » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:05 pm

Yeah, I saw that as well and emailed him directly just to inform him of the current access issues in case he was not apprised. Thanks for the further update, Marijus.

On the Environmental Management Plan I am leading the project and have now gotten a good framework and started to slot into some content. A couple other climbers (Marijus and Charles H.) have offered to assist with content and I will be getting them involved this week. Hopefully by the end of the week we will have a good first draft.

Thanks for everyone's respect of the MCSA's request to stay out of the area.

wasatchgirl

Post by wasatchgirl » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:18 am

Something seems a bit fishy here... Paul Robinson has "epic jet lag" while climbing Black Demon? If these updates are from last year, why is it that he has jet lag after being in Rocklands for weeks? I have traveled quite thoroughly and never had jet lag last over a month, nor have I received jet lag from the commute between Clan William and Cape Town.

I realize it sucks to stay out of Redhill, but climbing in this area during this time can ruin it for everyone. This initiative is moving along really quickly with the first meeting with the rangers taking place on May 25. One month later the Environmental Management Plan draft is coming together with the hope of releasing a copy for the community to review within the next couple weeks.

It would be much appreciated if all climbers would support the current work being done towards the access issues.
Thanks.
Rachel

pierre.joubert

Post by pierre.joubert » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:26 am

Bloody AGENT!

These western European journalists,
devious little monkeys
they're bloody relentless
Call the consulate
Burn the evidence
Don't say another word
JUST BURN THE EVIDENCE!
Last edited by pierre.joubert on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Justin

Post by Justin » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:34 am

pierre.joubert wrote:Bloody AGENT!
and don't forget to clean the chalk off afterwards
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Justin

Post by Justin » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:58 pm

Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

wasatchgirl

Post by wasatchgirl » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:22 am

Hey everyone,
Justin has posted a document on the site for everyone to review. (Thanks, Justin!) Please feel free to read and send any feedback my way. Also, if you are in support of climbing in Red Hill, please send me your name for the supporter list. My personal email is rstrate27 at gmail.com.
Thanks!
Rachel

wasatchgirl

Post by wasatchgirl » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:12 am

Update on Red Hill is the rangers have already read the EMP! :thumright I think they have moved quick on this since I submitted the document approximately a week and half ago. They are now moving into analysis stage and I have offered to help in order to push it along quicker. They have committed to coming back to us in the next couple weeks, but I will continue to actively follow up just so the ball keeps rolling.

One comment they have reiterated numerous times is how they appreciate the substantial decrease in boulderers going to Red Hill, a sign that we respected their request. Very cool! Thanks everyone! Really impressed with the community's support on this issue!

Justin

Post by Justin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:39 am

Hi Rachael,
Thanks for all your efforts :thumleft:
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

ShaolinWood

Post by ShaolinWood » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:28 pm

Awesome, thanks for the mission! If there's anything we can do to help (besides staying away) please let us know.
I stay pretty close to Red Hill so holding thumbs here!
Cheers
Gerhard

shedlon24

re-opening of Redhill?

Post by shedlon24 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:39 pm

Hi

Does anyone know when or if Redhill will be opened?

Cheers
Sheldon
Pain is only temporary but glory is forever!

wasatchgirl

Re: re-opening of Redhill?

Post by wasatchgirl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:37 am

Thanks for the post as I agree that an update should be communicated.

I was the pushing on this initiative in conjunction with the MCSA, but have transitioned it full time over to the MCSA for a handful of reasons. The last update I had was the EMP was submitted months ago (at least 3)and I followed up weekly with the rangers to push for a meeting for finalization. They had to do their analysis first and so two site visits were completed, with myself showing them Main Hill and Marijus showing them Easter Island. At the beginning of November the rangers submitted their analysis to their senior management and it was communicated to us that it wasn't looking promising for bouldering in the area, which didn't quite seem to make sense to us climbers since we had addressed all issues in the EMP. Where it stands now, I do not know. The best person to ask is Julia from the MCSA. I will email on this thread to her and perhaps she can put up a further update and a timeline of next steps.

shedlon24

Post by shedlon24 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:47 am

Ok cool, i will send Julia a message

Thanks
Pain is only temporary but glory is forever!

ShaolinWood

Post by ShaolinWood » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:00 pm

Thanks for everyone involved!
Yea really waiting for this to be resolved. We've been keeping away from Red Hill since this started but there are so many unfinished problems lying in wait there...

Don't know why it's such an issue to allow bouldering there...
Cheers
Gerhard

ShaolinWood

Post by ShaolinWood » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:36 am

Hi, does anyone know what the status is of this?

Thanks
Cheers
Gerhard

Buyoil

Post by Buyoil » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:03 pm

So climbing is still prohibited at Redhill? Strange that ascents at Redhill are still being logged on 8a.nu scorecards. Strange = irresponsible .

I dont have a cool quip and/or quote signature thing ending my posts.

ShaolinWood

Post by ShaolinWood » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:38 pm

Yea... don't know about that. I've been staying away but really amped to go back.
Don't want to jeopardize any of the negotiations though.

Let's hope it's going well.
Cheers
Gerhard

Fud

Post by Fud » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:31 pm

Yeah looks like guys are just using the mysterious "CT" when they log their climbs. If you're going to be a tool and climb there maybe just don't advertise it.

Justin

Post by Justin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:09 am

Posted on behalf of Julia Wakeling

Table Mountain National Park (TMNP) have unfortunately not accepted the proposed Environmental Management plan (EMP) for the Redhill bouldering area. They apologised but said we should have done an EMP for the whole of the TMNP. The pros and cons of undertaking this major task are now being considered and this is likely to be a lengthy process. According to TMNP, bouldering in Redhill is banned until an EMP has been accepted. While this initially seemed viable as it was not meant to take a long time, the MCSA are not overjoyed with the continued ban. The MCSA will continue to negotiate with Park authorities in an effort to allow unrestricted access to as many bouldering areas as possible.

May I take this opportunity to introduce Delaney Carpenter as the new chairman of the Rock Subcom (MCSA CT section), as I'm moving to Joburg. I'm sure Delaney will do a fantastic job! Thanks to all on the Rock Subcom for all the work behind the scenes in continuing to keep access as open as possible!

See you at the Montagu Rock Rally this weekend!

Cheers,
Julia.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

BradCT

Post by BradCT » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:56 am

What a BUMMER!!!!!
I understand their concerns, but feel this is extrememly short sighted on TMNP's behalf!!!! :cry:
Are horses still alowed to 'blaze a trail' through the hills?

Thank you for your efforts Julia and the Rock Subcom! Much appreciated.

Not

Post by Not » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:27 pm

I am generally a calm, rule following person. I have my wild card and climb card. I don't excees bag limits when fishing or catching kreef. I don't climb in Bosch kloof even though I would dearly love to.

Despite this note on myself, I too am extremely disheartened by TMNP's stance on this. I am not inciting anybody to do anything...I'm just pointing out a form of protest called Civil Disobedience.

To quote from here: "This is a form of direct action in which the law is broken in order to force an issue into the political and public arenas."

What do people think?
I don't think, therefore I'm Not

Pea1nut

Post by Pea1nut » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:07 pm

@Not......AGREED!! :)

emile

Post by emile » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:17 pm

Not wrote:a form of protest called Civil Disobedience.

To quote from here: "This is a form of direct action in which the law is broken in order to force an issue into the political and public arenas."

What do people think?
I think it's the only way we're going to get our government to realise that they are civil servants, not our bosses. Unrelated to your issue, but up here we're having fun with the e-tolling being forced onto us.

Good luck!!

Stu

Post by Stu » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:20 pm

So.... time to hold a bouldering meet at Redhill?

jellybelly

Post by jellybelly » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:17 pm

Dear All

Please keep it calm. Talk is cheap. The MCSA has countless volunteer work hours invested establishing and maintaining access. It is very easy to destroy our credibility with organisations such as TMNP with ill-considered acts.

The process of regaining access such as that at Redhill and Coppermine can often be frustratingly slow but in terms of negotiating with a statutory body it is early days yet. Nothing will be achieved by defying TMNP's ban other than a hardening of attitudes on their part.

I appeal to everyone to continue to respect the ban, stay out the closed areas and allow the MCSA time to continue the work done so far, which as you all know has been substantial.

Mark Straughan
(member of Access subcomm MCSA Cape Town section)
082 8940686