It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:22 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Access @ Surfside crag
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:24 pm 
Does anyone know whether there is access problems with surfside crag in gordon's bay? we were climbing there a week ago and some rude old man (apparently he is working up at steenbras dam) chased us away and asked us whether we couldnt read the sign at the turn-off that says:\" no climbing allowed\" because it is a private road, and should we injure ourselves, they would be responsible. I think this is a dumb argument. For this same reason they shouldnt even allow cars to drive there, because what if you crash your car. On our way down we stopped at every sign to check. We saw the obvious, no camping, no fires, no hunting etc. There was nothing about climbing. If climbing is not allowed there (i cant think of a reason) then i'll respect it and stay away, but if that was just some bitter old man, jealous because he didnt start climbing while he was still younger and able to do so, then the crag will surely see me again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:25 pm 
Agreed, if there is no sign then go again. However should the old boy appear again, please carry on being ‘very polite’ to him. In the past I have seen climbers blow up and verbally abuse property owners (this happened in Montagu once; Not suggesting that you would do such a thing) but keep things cool and try to reason with him and find out the real story. I'm still training to climb those routes :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:26 pm 
Hey guys! Apparently the surfside crag is going to get demolished in the near future because the hillside its embedded in is \"unstable\" and they don't want a Chapman's Peak situation to develop. Anyone know if there's truth to the rumour? Would be a shame to lose the only crag you can belay from your car boot....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:26 pm 
We were there on the 19th Dec as part of our road trip and everything was fine. Anchors were still there and no one hassled us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:27 pm 
\"We noticed today that the hangers have been removed from all routes except the two projects at surfside crag above Gordon's Bay. The anchors have also been removed, and the parking lot has been blockaded with large rocks. Anyone know who or why?\"
Ben + Carl.

Post subject:
Disturbing to have the crag taken away. Who owns the land? Perhaps the MCSA access committee should be informed so they investigate the matter properly.

Post subject:
I think the crag is on land owned by the City of Cape Town...? The road is definitely owned by them as it goes up to the Steenbras water treatment plant that treats large volumes of the stuff we drink. Access com of MCSA should probably take it up... chat to Greg Moseley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:28 pm 
D and Me where there a couple of months back when one of the engineers from Steenbras told us that the crag is moving down the slope at 3cm per year. A significant amount I'd say. Hmmm... that could be why its closed. When I was there ,in horror, I discovered a number of cigarette buds and used condoms dispersed at random. I urge climbers to please remove ALL their waste when they leave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:23 pm 
One of my friends is in the MCSA hottentots holland area and he was involved in taking out the bolts at surfside. Apparently the bolts were illegally bolted originally and because they are on the steenbras dam's property, if you injure yourself, they can be held responsible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:07 pm 
:? Was this Hottentots Holland section member a climber? Why were no other climbers consulted/informed about this decision? If the Landowners are scared of lawsuits they should have first have consulted someone representative of Sport climbers, if they had bothered to do this they would have realised that they are at no risk in this regard, hell if they want us to sign waivers we'll do it. Removing the hangers is a reactionary step which doesnt necessarily stop climbers from using the place (we can always place our own gear/hangers). Surely there is a better solution?