Travel insurance

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
annemieke

Travel insurance

Post by annemieke » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:52 pm

Hello!
I'm going on a climbing trip to south east Asia. I have been trying to find a travel insurance company that will cover this, but no luck so far.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

SNORT

Re: Travel insurance

Post by SNORT » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:54 pm

If you buy your ticket with a credit card then they provide some travel insurance. Investec and other premier or gold cards are quite comprehensive. Discovery also has good travel insurance if you are on their med scheme

wesleywt

Post by wesleywt » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:41 pm

I used Allianz travel insurance which I got at StaTravel. They cover rock climbing on the hazardous sports package. It actually not that much higher than normal. I don't think the credit card insurance covers it.

PeterHS

Post by PeterHS » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:08 am

annemieke wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:52 pm
Hello!
I'm going on a climbing trip to south east Asia. I have been trying to find a travel insurance company that will cover this, but no luck so far.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Enjoy! Do you mean health insurance? Or basic flight/personal effects insurance? Discovery Health is good for the former as climbing is specifically listed as a dangerous sport for which health cover is included. Best to double check any policy you have though. I am sure too that the topic has been raised elsewhere so perhaps search through the forum. Ciao. Peter

Boondock

Post by Boondock » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

I have found that Atlas Travel Insurance cover rock climbing quite well. They used to cover mountaineering up to an altitude of 7000m, but it seems like they have reduced it to 4500m recently. That's still better than most however.

http://www.hccmis.com/travel/adventure-travel/
Berge! Skoonheid sonder Perke!

annemieke

Post by annemieke » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:38 pm

Thanks guys! :)
Have been trying to contact atlas insurance but haven’t been able to get hold of them. Will check out allianz. I have emailed some companies that list rock climbing on their website, but then they tell me this only refers to indoor climbing. Very sneaky of them :/
I’m looking for something that includes emergency evacuation..

BAbycoat

Post by BAbycoat » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:41 am

annemieke wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:38 pm
I’m looking for something that includes emergency evacuation..
Do you mean evacuation from the crag to a local hospital ... or evacuation from a local hospital back to South Africa? The latter is likely covered by your credit card ... as for the former, I've never seen any med-evac in Thailand (and I've been there many times). It's probably going to be a stretcher, lots of hands, and a bumpy bakkie/lontgail whether or not you've got insurance.

If you're headed to the usual areas (Krabi, Chiang Mai, Nam Pha Pa Yai) then your best insurance is to minimize your risks: pick your climbing partners carefully (or preferably bring your own), watch out for infection on any small cuts, only clip Ti bolts, avoid dangerous crowds.

And wear sunscreen.

annemieke

Post by annemieke » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:41 am

Haha will definitely not forget the sunscreen :P

Thanks for the advice!

Boondock

Post by Boondock » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:11 pm

The Atlas insurance has an online process for purchasing the insurance that is super quick and easy. Follow this link to get a quote. All you have to do is give some basic details and then choose your maximum cover and deductibles.

https://www.hccmis.com/atlas-travel-ins ... gJyiPD_BwE
Berge! Skoonheid sonder Perke!