Magalies link-ups

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
emile

Magalies link-ups

Post by emile » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:12 pm

At the risk of further stirring the MSP access pot, I was curious to hear if anyone has tried the link-ups posted here: http://www.climbing.co.za/2010/05/magaliesberg-linkups/

It is indeed a bunch of fun, thanks for the idea, although I've not completed one yet. Let's just say between uhm "challenges" in interpreting the route descriptions and arriving at my climbing partners' place at our designated departure time to find him still in his (very cute animal print :pirat: ) pajamas we're at least making progress and having fun.

Anyone else have a go at it?

shorti

Re: Magalies link-ups

Post by shorti » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:37 pm

Seemonster and I completed one a while back. We climbed Red Corner, N/W side of Tweedledum on our way to boulder kloof, Planxty, Hourglass and Horseplay. It's great fun, but you end up walking more than you climb. Camping the night before will give you a chance to start earlier. I've also failed my first attempt, because of a traverse averse friend and then a stuck rope on our second to last planned route (short circuit).

Hector

Post by Hector » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:54 pm

I’ve done a few of these over the years. The first for me was Last Rights, Sabre, Sands of Time and Boggle, with Andrew Porter. I remember it feeling easier than we expected, but we knew the routes very well.
When Hilton made a rare trip north we wanted to cram as much good climbing into one day as possible so him, Ian Kotze and I did Hyperadrenia, Raging Bull, Sabre, Sands of Time, Doppler Effect and Boggle. It was an awesome, high-quality day. Hilton thought Doppler was the best route. He wrote a thing here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5861&p=29097&hilit ... ect#p29097
One Blouberg training day Steve Bretherick and I did (if I remember right) Talons, Raging Bull, Doppler Effect, Hang Dog, Cat Burglar and Difficult Shapes. That was tough with some almost-falls towards the end. It paid off because we styled our Blouberg mission.
Colin Crabtree dusted off his old trad skills (the youngsters might not know he invented trad climbing in his youth) when we did Hyperadrenia, Alchemy, Slipstream and Sabre. Colin’s lead of Sabre was gripping – I think the last time he’d climbed trad they didn’t have cams.
Nic Grech-Cumbo and I tried a linkup of Alchemy, Sands of Time, Dogstyle and I forget the last one we planned. We got totally lost approaching Sands of Time from the top, ended up climbing in the sun and were in bad shape for Dogstyle later in the day, which turned into a dogshow. We called it a day after that. My bail wire is still there.
I’ve done one or two solo linkups of easier routes but they’ve always felt a bit lame. Half the fun of these things is having someone in it with you.
Stuff to consider: pace the walking and scrambling so you’re still fresh enough to climb (from the south the round trip is something like 10km), plan the raps and scrambles so one route flows into another, figure out how and when to haul your shoes and water, plan routes in the shade, decide when and where to get water, go as light as possible, keep moving all day – if you stop for lunch you probably won’t get going again.
The whole thing is obviously much easier if you’ve done the routes before. To onsight a linkup would be impressive at any grade.

I reckon a meaty day would be something like: Alchemy, Dogstyle, Just Hot, and Agonising Hands. They’re all 24 or easier, so hiking according to some. Still, it would be a bigger achievement than stealing someone’s project. Come on 9a hopefuls, show us you’re not just big talk. And when you’re done with hiking try In God’s Country, Rhythm of Youth, Dance Across the Centuries and Suicide – nothing harder than 27 so should be straightforward…

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:33 am

Nice! Good one Hector!
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...

KieranKP

Post by KieranKP » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:39 am

This is sick!! :hapban :pirat: Im keen to give these a go