Best Sport Climbing Car (NOT a TRAD vs Sport argument)

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Old Smelly

Best Sport Climbing Car (NOT a TRAD vs Sport argument)

Post by Old Smelly » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:43 pm

Hi

Someone was mentioning how boring the Forum had become - with everything being about buying gear from people who don't exist etc.

SO...not being an accomplished TROLL like some others....I thought we could discuss the best vehicle for a Sport Climber to own.

Now lets just say that a TRAD climber needs a REAL 4x4 - like a unimog or something...

And the new generation of those who climb solely at the gym and who arrive in their LEXUS or Porsche - boulder for 20 minutes - have a Chai Latte and then head off to their condo's certainly are not part of this discussion...

BUT Sport climbers need a vehicle that can nail it along the highway, do some bumpy road with enough ground clearance and carry you home again with ease - now that requires careful vehicle selection.

So what do you guys think?

Maybe its a Range Rover - but then you have to afford it and make sure it doesn't get scratched?

Or a SUBARU Forester - the classic MCSA members choice

or maybe even an old Skadonk that you can park anywhere and you know it will still be there when you return.

What's your ideal Sport Climbers car?
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...

Rockray143

Re: Best Sport Climbing Car (NOT a TRAD vs Sport argument)

Post by Rockray143 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:29 pm

For me it's a Mahindra XUV 500 does everything I need it to do, reliable not to thirsty and doesn't break the bank either. Added bonus is the 7 seats when the crew gets bigger

stonehand

Post by stonehand » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:00 pm

I would have to say Honda CRV 1999 model. Can’t find a reason yet to be unhappy about mine.

NicoVenster

Post by NicoVenster » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:30 am

A buddy of mine has a nissan x-trail.

Sounds like it's pretty light on juice, it's good for some light off-roading (like the non-toll boven road) and has tons of packing space. I can't see how another car can beat this one...

Stonehand, Any car pre-metallic paint coat or whatever it is that helps a car not rust to shit within 2 years isn't gonna last long haha! I feel I can say that coz I'm in that category with my opel corsa. (Close to the coast I mean)

Rockray, it looks just too big to park haha!

BAbycoat

Post by BAbycoat » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:38 pm

Something cheap and reliable.

Lower cost = less time at work = more time Climbing.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:20 pm

I'll back the Subaru Forester choice. They are great cars on the road and will do a lot more 4x4 than anyone would expect.

Marshall1

Post by Marshall1 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:47 am

Only climbing sport seems a bit outdated. Don't most people mix it up and enjoy all? boulder, sport, trad & indoors these days?

Any reliable double cab bakkie meets all requirements. You can load 5 mates trad/sport gear, pads & camping gear. And then still park on the pavement outside the gym when required.

Obviously green or brown would be the preferred color to assist with concealment/blending into the back ground while trespassing. Don't want your vehicle standing out, drawing attention.

emile

Post by emile » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:51 pm

Well, I have been to a few climbing spots across the country and I have yet to find place I cannot get to in my 800cc Spark.

Fuel consumption is probably less than half of any of the models mentioned above and the book value is more than what I paid for it. It won't win any races but if everyone keeps to the speed limit I'll get there just about the same time as them.

An added bonus is watching people think it's an empty parking spot only to find my car is already there, I am a little sadistic that way :wink: :jocolor:

If I'd have to buy again I would strongly consider a Corsa bakkie / hatchback though (It's just a little nicer), but will happily have the Spark again too.

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:04 pm

What about Jimminy...ies?

Too slow on the open road?
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...