It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:50 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: The Crags
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:52 pm 
Hi guys, just wandering if anyone could help me with directions to The Crags climbing area near Plettenberg Bay. Also, is it a sport or trad area? Are there any other sport areas around this side? Thanks. Matt

Post subject: Re: The Crags
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:33 pm 

The crags is about 18km PE side of Plett. its a sport crag and has some trad lines if you are feeling bold. Follow N2 till you get to the crags, pass shell then Bp service station. on your right after the BP you get a turn off marked Kurland brick. turn right into that and park at the gate. follow fence on right. follow fence left and left again. turn right at the lowest part of the road and head towards the ravine. The path is not well used. The crag is about 50 - 100m upstream of the pylons crossing the Gorge.

there are some other trad routes at Groot River and Bloukrans with a 24 at each which i bolted due to no gear placements. the one at Groot river is more a trad route with 3 bolts in it.

Drew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:42 pm 
Thanks. Will be enjoying The Crags soon!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:13 pm 
Hi Drew, made it to The Crags today and climbed an awesome route. Just wandering, I only found two sport routes there. Are there more that I was just missing or is it only those two? Also, for you know the possible grades? Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:57 am 

check out page 186 of tony's western cape rock
the best route route is the "mithral" which starts at the river. its a 2 pitch with the second pitch at a 20 and the lower pitch at around 18. there is a variation to the lower pitch if you start to the left, goes at around 20/21.

the north wall has a couple of climbs and variations.
climb closest to river is "Boogie on by" its a 19 if you stay out the open book or 17/18 if you grovel in the open book. you can either climb to the fridge ledge or keep climbing to the top. at he fridge ledge you can do a variation to the right which allows you to climb out. the right variations sees you climbing out on "Mistrel in the gallery". 18.
middle route on the north side is "Goldberry", 22, its a great route sees you topping out at the big abseil in block.
the last bolted route is choc a bloc, 18 and also sees you topping out at the abseil in block.

hope that helps
enjoy

if you do not have the route book send me your email addy and ill send you the RD

drew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:34 pm 
Hey Drew, unfortunately I don't have the route book so if you could send it through that'd be awesome. My e-mail address is matthew.gillman@polka.co.za. I climbed the 1st pitch of Mithral (variation)... Cool route. Looked up the river but I must be blind 'cause I couldn't find the other routes. I'll go back with the RD though. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:50 pm 

Hi Drew,

I've got the RD for Choc Chip at Bloukrans. Can you give me beta on how to get to the climb? Also please can you give me info and if possible rd's for the routes you opened at Bloukrans and Groot River and info on how to get to them. You can mail me at vqr_afra@polka.co.za. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:33 pm 

i have not writen anything up for both Bloukrans and grootriver. dont know when i will get a gap to do it. best is if you are in the area call and i can try guide you in. in short
Bloukrans
this route 19 trad
black magic 24 sport
that route 20 trad
the other route 20 trad
unnamed 19 trad
then a 3 pitch 21, trad, starts on a totem pole and lands up on the main face, small cross over

Groot river
19 trad
24 bolted trad
17 trad
project..?
other routes but not worth mentioning at different areas

Drew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:07 am 

Hey, I know this is an old thread, but I could use some help. I was at the crags 3 days ago and noticed some of the hangers had been removed. I was just wondering if these routes were still good to climb? the remaining bolts still look good so possibly rocks breaking? Also , if anyone still climbs in plett we could use a few more for company. Cheers