Quantcast
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:47 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: SA Mountain magazine
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:36 pm 

I reckon Tony Lourens does a pretty amazing job with his bi-monthly magazine SA Mountain. Especially considering how small the local market is. So thanks Tony; and therefore also Sean and the production team; and the advertisers and contributors.

In the current December 2013 - February 2014 edition there is an article by Robin Barley about the first ascent of Celestial Journey (and other routes at Wolfberg) that Robin did with my brother David, who was the 18 year-old rope gun at the time. Dave was a wonderful guy who was well-known to most of the local community because of his relentless climbing and of course for the business that he established called Mountain Mail Order. David died too young in 2010. But less well-known to the majority of the current batch of climbers is Robin.

Robin and his brother Tony (who died recently) are hard-arsed Yorkshiremen. In his prime Tony was one of the handful of top rock climbers in Britain. Robin has been a mega-pioneer of hard routes in Canada, South Africa and various other places. Robin lives at Squamish. He is a rock jock but has also been up hills including Ama Dablam.

Amongst some of Robin's locals creations are Roulette on TM, Celestial Journey and Alone in Space on Wolfberg, and Apollo on Castle Rocks. He and Tony also did a bunch of routes in the Magaliesberg that Hector and Andrew could mention.

Robin is getting on now, but he is still a leading activist in British Columbia climbing. If you read the article in the magazine you will see Robin's reference to a ski outing with our mutual buddy Doug Jamieson. Well Doug sent me these photos of that outing. Thought you might like a look-see.

Parting word: Robin phoned me and asked me to take him up Celestial Journey on a visit next month. How's that for a bloke of 70?

Attachments:
File comment: Robin Barley, Blackcomb
P1050920.jpeg
P1050920.jpeg [ 71.92 KiB | Viewed 958 times ]
File comment: Robin
P1050939.jpeg
P1050939.jpeg [ 60.92 KiB | Viewed 958 times ]

Post subject: Re: SA Mountain magazine
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:42 am 

Tony, you do an amazing job and I know it takes time and effort, thank you. I have bought every magazine you have published thus far and I have so many things to say about your magazine, but on this forum I would get slaughtered. Instead I'll post this link below for future inspiration:

http://mydigitalpublication.com/publication/?i=187833

Each time I receive this magazine I have the same thoughts. Please can you create incentive to encourage readers/scanners to send you better photos and stories. I've never bothered doing this as I've never wanted to. As a loyal client I request that you make me want to send you cool adventures and stories by doing something new, create some incentive. Your magazine has improved greatly over the past few years and I would like to see you make it go big, but you need to spice it up or your market is a bunch of middle aged men and then you might as well just post your 1st issue again.

Please think about it, I know so many people that would send you the coolest sh!t if you just encourage them. I don't want to see another ass shot please, it's hard enough with people posting it repetitively as the cover photo of climbza.

Ebert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:48 am 

IMO that cover looks very 'international-mag generic'. I like Tony's style.

Coming up with rad content is a challenge from square one every month- keep up the good work Tony.

Agreed tho - one way to help this is think of ways to get more people psyced to write.
Cmon' - what do you want to read about? Write!

Ant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:02 pm 

Last edited by Marshall1 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:26 pm 

The responsibility of news is up to the climbing public. News makes the magazine, not the other way round. I'm old fashioned in that I don't watch T.V or buy magazines- real important news comes through people. If people are talking about it, I'm more likely to pick it up in the media, by seeing it in a magazine or newspaper.