It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:30 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Botswana - Tsodilo Hills
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:09 pm 

Hi all,
I will be around Tsodilo Hills and was wondering if there is any good climbing around there.
I read that some people climbed on the west face of Male Hill but couldn't find any info whatsoever.

Any information about that area regarding existing routes, topos, photographs etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks alot.

piolet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:28 pm 

There is definitely climbing potential but that is only part of the story. The Male Hill is quite a significant face for Botswana (the other side of the Male Hill where the hiking trail goes up less so). Likewise the other hills where most of the rock paintings are have some shortish cliffs - but these are the ones on which the paintings occur.

However the other side of the coin is that it is a UNESCO world heritage site (the very well preserved 4 000 plus rock paintings are quite something and worth a one night stopover). It is also a significant tourist attraction and is regarded as sacred. It would therefore be best to do some homework on access and permission before attempting anything (similarly if something has been climbed find out if that was with permission).

In my opinion I think this is not a place where climbers will (or should) be welcomed and I think it is better that way. Not every piece of rock on earth need to be climbed just "because it is there".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:12 pm 

Hi Dean,
initally I didn't even think about climbing there because of the issues you mentioned. But then I came across a post on this site by a guy (Heinrich?) who mentioned that he climbed there and the place has potential.