Quantcast
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:27 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:13 pm 

With winter approaching, this months MCSA social feature looks at a South African's favourite winter playgrounds in the Alps, and the hints, tips, tricks (esp about gear) learnt.

Ant Hall (yes that's me) has made several winter trips to the French and Swiss Alps, Antarctica and Patagonia, and most recently worked out of Switzerland over January and February 2014, and has had to learn how to translate Cape country climbing into the frozen world. Often boer maak 'n plan style...

Soup and rolls will be served at R10 per serving beforehand, together with our customary refreshment facilities

The evening will be split into two halves with an interval:
1st half: A selection of favourite places and routes in Chamonix, Kandersteg, La Grave and various other spots in the Alps.
On my most recent trip I got to grips with vertical ice, skiing, didn't place last in a dry-tooling competition, and tackled my first 'North Face' route, among a few other easy classics.
Guess appearances by Joe Mohle, Kevin Marki, Jeremy Colenso, Tatjana Dill and Stuart Brown.

2nd half: What I've learnt about gear, and special techniques and tricks that are particular to the icy world.
Ill bring along various material, as well as all the toys and will try answer as many questions as I can.

This evening will be great for anyone who has an interest in trying ice and winter climbing, or who has swung tools in the Drakensberg and really wants to get onto some routes in the Alps.

Tues 3rd June
MCSA Clubhouse
7:30 for 8pm

Bouldering Wall open from 6:30pm.
Soup and rolls served at 7:30pm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:01 am 

People from the Cape are like Americans... maybe the MCSA exists somewhere else other than in CT...

Of course all you can do is have expo's - everyone elsewhere is still climbing...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:35 am 

:arrow: MCSA Winter Climbing Expo Tomorrow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:39 am 

Sorry Old Smelly, I was at Yellowwood from sunrise to sunset so my brain was still in weekend mode.

Yes, this is at the Cape Town clubhouse.

The Cape is a winter rainfall region, with a deluge predicted from Monday to Thursday, so this weeks evenings will be divided between training at CityRock, socializing, prepping future epics (ie the talk) and papsak-night. This is how this little fishing village rolls...

Ant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:59 am 

I've have confirmation that at least one of the local suppliers (Black Diamond) is going to have some ice-toys on demo, while everyone's in the swing of things...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:36 pm 

Sounds great!

I apologise if I was a bit off - I do not want the nick name of "old grouchy". Enjoy the expo!